UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What makes wrestlers so tough?

11/24/12 7:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judom
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum,

I recently saw an interview with Cody at flowrestling.

This year I am again following closely Oklahoma State wrestling, and I am quite curious if Alan Gelogaev finally manages to stay healthy. The NCAA grind broke him the last 2 years.
11/24/12 9:43 PM
jasonhightower
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WrestlingSucks - also..your weigh ins are usually an hour before you wrestle. try sparring an hour after cutting weight
Not to mention 2 day tourneys and you might get a 1lb extra if your lucky for Day 2. Phone Post
11/25/12 8:43 PM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" I am quite curious if Alan Gelogaev finally manages to stay healthy. The NCAA grind broke him the last 2 years."

Me too.

I actually have no other super substantial response to your post other than to say great post.
11/25/12 8:43 PM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huge tournament in college. Weighed 133. First match was at 9AM. Second was at 4PM.

After my second match, I was 142.

Had to get back down to 134. Not really fun.
11/26/12 4:07 PM
Unseen
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/26/12 4:08 PM

Someone who is superior at:

Muay Thai=Beat On You (your body gives out)

Boxing=Confuse You (Hits you while you hit air)

Jiu-jitsu=Trick You (Your every move has multiplr consequences, each with multiple options)

Wrestling=Dominate You (Regardless of who you are or you accomplishments he'l fight for every inch like you're trying to take his kid)

I'm not a wrstler but I compete against them and train them for MMA.

11/26/12 6:55 PM
wiggum

Unseen - 

Jiu-jitsu=Trick You (Your every move has multiplr consequences, each with multiple options)

Wrestling=Dominate You (Regardless of who you are or you accomplishments he'l fight for every inch like you're trying to take his kid)

Great post. Correctly makes each art out to be uniquely awesome.
11/26/12 7:04 PM
Topsyjt
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twister Trent -
GriffinQ - If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
You're constantly dehydrated and under fed yet you have practice six days a week in a sport that won't get you a lot of public accolades. You have to be both strong and explosive, but you must also be durable and have cardio for days. You put your body through hell in preparation for every match, but there's no genuine downtime. If you want to be the best, or even be "good," you have to work every single day. Wrestling is a sport where there are no shortcuts... Even if you're the most athletic guy on the mat, you can still be broken by a mean sonova bitch who knows how to outwork you. Phone Post
Voted up when I get to a PC! Well said! Phone Post
Took words from my Scottish mooth.
Vtfu tmrw on PC.
Wrestling made me :-) Phone Post
11/26/12 7:05 PM
Topsyjt
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum -
Unseen - 

Great post. Correctly makes each art out to be uniquely awesome.
Vtfu u too sir. Well put. Phone Post
11/26/12 7:07 PM
mikerobmma
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestling practices are easily the most physically draining thing I've ever done. A man that grew up doing it and was successful at all levels has got to be a tough bastard. Phone Post
11/26/12 7:09 PM
Ezekiel Stane
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for a great thread Phone Post
1/5/13 7:45 AM
RobMcKenzie

I've just taken the time to read through this thread and it's one of the best I've read here on the UG in quite some time.

Normally, ALL threads by the second page end up in some pissy debate and people start trolling and talking shit, however (with the exception of diazgotrobbed's bullshit) this thread reminds me of the old days of the UG where people would come on here, share ideas, videos, stories etc. and have a great appreciation for the sport.

I have started doing wrestling for the last 2 years (only twice a week) after doing bjj for 8 years and wrestling is infinitely harder.
As stated earlier, there will always be a variance in difficulty between clubs, but after watching Iowa training videos the thought of doing that stuff makes me sick.

Please keep up the vids and the stories guys, loving the read.
1/5/13 10:18 AM
jayflo145
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Proud owner of a cauliflower ear.

I think a lot of other martial arts are tough, but from my own personal experience in various grappling arena's (Judo, BJJ, Wrestling) none are as grueling as wrestling.

High intensity workouts, mind games stuck in your head you have to constantly battle, dieting, injuries, coaching staffs that cut you no slack, 2 a days 6 days a week for the duration of a loooong ass season, and the fact that it is a inwardly motivated sport (not a high profile sport, so many times its your own self directed motivation that carries you and not "fans").

I started wrestling in high school and accepted a full scholarship to the the University of Nebraska. You get out of it what you put in. Work hard and you receive all the best that sport has to offer, slack off and you will find yourself on the losing end of a lot of close battles....
1/5/13 10:32 AM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wrestling season

1/5/13 1:01 PM
Graduate1
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to admit that wrestling is a tough sport. I have never done it but my son has. Me and my son trained 3 years in Judo (I was 38 when I started and he was about 12) and it was tough since the instructors really pushed us. We trained with a couple of OPP (US State Troopers) who pushed us and made us tougher whether it was Randori or Newaza drills / bouts. My personal experience with Judo is that (as JudoM stated), it is so hard on the body especially the older you are. I have been thrown on my shoulders twice, landed on the back of my neck (via Osoto Gari), cracked ribs and nearly had my knee popped out a number of times but I was in never in the best shape of my life until doing Judo). Fast forward a few years, my son goes to highschool and I encourage him to get into Wrestling. He only did 3 tourneys and ended up with an 8-3 record (the 3 guys he lost to trained wrestling for a lot longer than he did Judo and all ended up being Provincial (State) champs over the last 2 years in their respective weight division. I was able to sit in on a few of his wrestling practices and have to agree that the practices were instense (moreso than our Newaza practices) and the team treated each other as brothers and the tourneys seemed like an underground cult where you can feel the passion of each participant in the air. Wrestling & Judo are both great & intense - really toughned up my son and made him alot more coordinated and confident. Unfortunately he wants now to only play soccer (he is 16 now) but his skill levels and balance are alot better because of both sports. He is doing great in school also which I attest to both Judo and wrestling.

I strongly suggest for parents to get their kids in either sport at a young age and to keep them in for a few years. They will definitely benefit from it in the future should they continue or go on to do something else
1/5/13 2:02 PM
judom
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/05/13 2:05 PM

NCAA wrestling is a grind. That is for sure. The only thing that is comparable is the EU Judo circuit, where you have tournaments weekly.

But NCAA wrestling is awesome. I've been following it closely this year, and just really awesome matches, really tough guys, good technique. And riding is especially interesting for me, as it is not present in Judo or international wrestling and it really teaches good control. You can see why American wrestlers transfer better to MMA, its a lot due to the control and due to grind. I don't think in Europe the wrestling is so intense and there is no riding which really means many wrestlers are not good at controlling on the ground. Riding skills + Pinning skills from Judo (25 sec) are a really good combination for control. I love the way the NCAA wrestlers run out of the mat once the match is over, back to the locker room.

Also, if you watch interviews with Tom Brands (dude is intense) you see why the wrestlers are so tough. I think the NCAA grind is hardcore, very physical. EU judo circuit is also hardcore. Both are damaging, but in different ways.

1/5/13 2:07 PM
Tubarao

the way they train Phone Post
1/5/13 2:58 PM
Ninja mon

Great stuff keep it coming please!
1/5/13 3:10 PM
spidermanik
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/7/13 4:53 AM
RobMcKenzie

ttt
1/10/13 1:14 PM
jayflo145
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judom has a lot of GREAT points and there is a ton of relevance to his connections of Russian style wrestlers to EJU Judoka. I ran into a wrestler from Russia in NYC and I was wearing a German Super World Cup (Judo) T shirt from 2007 that I had competed, he saw my ears and told me he was on the Russian national wrestling team. Interestingly enough, he told me he also had competed in the same JUDO event of the shirt I was wearing...

Cross training in' Jacket wrestling' at the highest levels complements there styles. He told me that 1/2 his teammates are all Judoka first wrestlers 2nd.
1/10/13 2:24 PM
HandsomeTopTeam
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WWE guys are tough!!
1/10/13 2:35 PM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone mentioned the coaches? I'm not saying wrestling coaches are better than coaches in other sports (and often they coach other sports on the HS/Jr HS level) but...wrestling coaches are a different breed. It's not hard to pick out the wrestling coach in a crowd, especially a college-level coach.

There's a tradition passed from coach to wrestler, and the wrestler becomes the coach. When you wrestle, you join that lineage.
1/10/13 2:39 PM
6ULDV8

Farmboy wrestlers OP.  No off season.

Core strength?  I got your core strength right here

*chucks 100 pound bale of hay at you like it's a balloon and laughs when it crushes in your face, because it's all in good fun when your holiday is farm work.*

1/10/13 2:52 PM
triso
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously there are differences between all styles. With BJJ and Wrestling though here's how I see it a basic level:

BJJers tend to have a totally different mentality based on "Maximum efficiency, minimum effort". They're not trying to beat on you every second, they're trying to set up an end game and often that means tricking the other person into thinking one thing while really doing another. It's a more mental approach to a physical end. There are more hobbyists and overall the style and the culture is way more laid back.

Wrestlers tend to try and out work you everywhere. Outwork you in every position, every scramble, every inch. It's a much more physical approach. Weight cutting, Conditioning, strength, explosiveness, and hustle count for more. They're constantly pushed to a the limit because of the nature of their culture.

You see this play out in MMA all the time from both sides. Often you'll see a monster wrestler trying to impose his will physically on a slick BJJer who uses way less effort and submits the wrestler by being a step ahead. Other times you see a BJJer try to win scrambles or out physical a wrestler positionally and get completely overwhelmed, gassed, and dominated physically.

Truthfully all styles are tough in their own right especially at the high levels. I have to agree though that wrestling is probably the toughest. Muay Thai has to be up there too.
1/10/13 10:59 PM
ChipW
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^i agree w triso. Both are good and if your good at both man it's hard to deal with. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.