UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Melanson: Karo most talented person I ever met

10/9/12 8:42 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

As the grappling coach at Xtreme Couture, Neil Melanson has an inside view on some of the best fighters in MMA.

He recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show and was asked for his take on several fighters he’s trained with.

On Chael Sonnen:
“In his personal life, he’s a real gentleman and he’s a real polite guy. He’s real likeable. I think in his hometown he’s like a hero. Real friendly. Easy to get along with. If you can get his attention, he’s a great student. Picks up what you say. He’ll do exactly what you tell him, but I think Chael likes to stay busy. He’s one of those guys that while he’s talking to you, he’s texting somebody else and he’s driving. He’s one of those guys that has that he’s-always-doing-something kind of mind. His mind is constantly going a million miles a minute.

“Sometimes things are kind of interesting when you’re in his training camp. One day we’re going to his sister’s to move a piano and then we’re going to rush back and train and then we’re going to go to this amateur fight show and we’re actually going to train in the cage before the fight because he has to make an appearance right after. It’s like, what the hell? Are you serious? It’s crazy. But that’s the life he likes to live. That’s what makes him happy.”

On Karo Parisyan:
“Karo is the most talented person I’ve ever met in my entire life. What he could do without training at all was amazing. If people saw the kind of life that he lived and then watched his performances, you’d be like, ‘Are you serious?’ Here’s a guy that probably only ate cake the week of the fight, and after weigh-ins he’d have a few cigarettes. That’s the type of guy Karo was. He’s one of those guys that was fighting grown men when he was 14 years old down in Mexico ... and he was beating their ass. Anyone that was around him when he was 9 years old or 10 years old knew that this kid was going to be on a different level. He just had it.

“One thing I learned about talented people is most of the time they have a terrible work ethic. Guys like him, it was hard to drag him into the gym. He didn’t really want to do it. He just wanted to show up and fight. He would never remember to bring his cup or mouthpiece. He just didn’t care. I remember when we used to spar, he’d just strip down to his boxers and spar like that. He was a character. He was a lot of fun. He has a real strong personality, but yeah, he was unbelievably talented. He could just do things that he couldn’t explain. He just had that gift.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... (50:33 mark)

10/9/12 8:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad loss of potential.
10/9/12 8:55 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
10/9/12 9:01 PM
Malvert the Janitor
885 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Article really saddens me... Phone Post
10/9/12 9:02 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how things would have gone with Karo if he never destroyed his hamstring Phone Post
10/9/12 9:03 PM
Uchi
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Karo was always one of those 'what if' guys to me. really unfortunate. But that's what separates the good from the great, right? Guys have raw talent, amazing work ethic, or the mental toughness and intelligence. So so few have them all.
10/9/12 9:03 PM
shmuckothemighty
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil Melanson cracked my sternum
10/9/12 9:11 PM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon - Sad loss of potential.

agreed

10/9/12 9:16 PM
TehMadGreek
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shmuckothemighty - Neil Melanson cracked my sternum
I've trained at Xtreme and he demonstrated a move on me to the person I was rolling with.. I've never felt so much pressure even from the few black belts I've had the pleasure to learn from
He is a real beast of a man Phone Post
10/9/12 9:20 PM
tetris
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

couldn't say it any better than GladiatorGannon....
10/9/12 9:25 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you for the post.
10/9/12 9:25 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/09/12 9:26 PM
Dbl.
10/9/12 9:35 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil knows who he is bro Phone Post
10/9/12 9:39 PM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not trolling when I say this: Karo would've beaten Matt Hughes when they were scheduled to fight. Can you imagine how that would've changed him?
10/9/12 9:45 PM
Dougie
934 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reminds me of this guy I knew who just shit talent. So talented. Never wanted to train though. Just fight. Then he got his first loss and quit.

10/9/12 9:53 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TOAO - i dont think karo is that good, sure hes a good judo guy but his striking would of never progressed, just like a lot of good grapplers before and after him, and his bjj was nothing that great, he would of been a solid fighter if he worked hard but never champion.
Do you troll in every single thread ? You say negative shit solely to get a reaction Phone Post
10/9/12 9:58 PM
RJJH
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/09/12 9:58 PM

Karo was awesome, one of the most personable fighters I ever met. I bought him a beer once and he proceeded to buy me 4 drinks I didnt een ask for.

to this day he is the nicest fighter I have ever met and chatted with.

do you know who I am bro?

fuck ya, I do.

10/9/12 10:41 PM
UGCTT_Gaspare
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I learned about talented people is most of the time they have a terrible work ethic"

BJ Penn. :( Phone Post
10/9/12 11:41 PM
Reggie Warren Jr
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reggie Warren Jr, The Man

Hes right. Karo didnt even own a pair of boxing gloves or a mouthpiece(which is why you'll see him always take it out right when the round ends). The guy won fights on pure heart and ego mixed with the skills he learned from Judo.

I have some great stories about how talented this guy was, but wont share them on here. (and yes, I whooped his ass outside his house...but that just shows how talented I am)

10/9/12 11:46 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reggie Warren Jr -

Hes right. Karo didnt even own a pair of boxing gloves or a mouthpiece(which is why you'll see him always take it out right when the round ends). The guy won fights on pure heart and ego mixed with the skills he learned from Judo.

I have some great stories about how talented this guy was, but wont share them on here. (and yes, I whooped his ass outside his house...but that just shows how talented I am)

Why not share em? If they're positive stories Phone Post
10/9/12 11:59 PM
Spinelock
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When ya gonna put out another video Reggie? Ya sonabitch!
10/10/12 12:03 AM
Bry Bry
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was always impressed with Karos throws but beyond that i didnt see much that made him stand apart from other welterweights..his striking was ok and his wrestling was ok..i didnt ever see him becoming the champion..
10/10/12 12:20 AM
ender852
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

karo is awesome!

10/10/12 12:24 AM
ThinkMMA
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malvert the Janitor - Article really saddens me... Phone Post
Same here. I'll always be a fan and supporter of Karo. He's cut from a completely different cloth than everyone else. True fighter. Phone Post
10/10/12 12:28 AM
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bry Bry - i was always impressed with Karos throws but beyond that i didnt see much that made him stand apart from other welterweights..his striking was ok and his wrestling was ok..i didnt ever see him becoming the champion..

That's what happens when a supremely talented guy doesn't train hard. He looks merely extraordinary.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.