UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shannon Knapp does things Dana White doesn't

10/10/12 10:03 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

I have been working backstage at MMA shows since the 90s, and i don't think anyone ever captured it quite as well as did Ben Fowlkes at Invicta 3.

A single part of the the piece is below, but do yourself a favor and read the entire thing from the link at bottom.

As I follow Invicta president Shannon Knapp down into the bomb shelter of a basement that will serve as tonight's one and only locker room for all 28 fighters on Invicta's third event, I can't help but feel a little unnerved. That feeling is not helped by the visual combination of spit buckets and pregnancy tests that Knapp quickly gets to work laying out like welcoming gifts for fighters who won't arrive for another hour.

"You think Dana White does this stuff?" Knapp says as she unstacks the black plastic buckets and puts a small white towel inside each one. At the edge of the long table is the line of First Response pregnancy tests in rectangular pink boxes. "Unsurpassed accuracy," it says on the boxes. Two tests to a box, fourteen boxes, one for each pair of fighters. The idea is for them to walk in the locker room, take one, pee on a stick, and make sure we aren't kicking each other in the fetus out there tonight. There's another thing Dana White doesn't have to worry about on fight night.

There are at least two reasons why Knapp is doing all this herself: 1) Invicta is still a small organization and Knapp is determined to keep costs down, which means her fight night "staff" consists mostly of her brother and Angie Lindland – wife of veteran fighter Matt Lindland – and whoever else she can convince to help out, 2) Knapp, at 45 years old and with a long resume that includes just about every conceivable job in the MMA industry, is a little bit of a control freak.

Once the buckets and pregnancy tests are in place, she'll head up to the floor to take a look at sponsor placement on the cage, help stack and relocate some of the floor seats, then have a very cordial argument with the guy running the smoke machine in which she tells him that he needs to be producing far less smoke during the fighter walkouts, since "some of these girls have asthma." Throughout all this, her Blackberry will chirp constantly with incoming text messages. That's what happens when you put your phone number on Twitter.

The thing that baffled me the most about the latter was, why do them now? Why not during pre-fight medicals, or at the weigh-ins? If a fighter pops positive for baby on fight night, there's no time to find a replacement. The fight would simply be off, all because of one pink line on one supermarket pregnancy test. It all seemed a little last-minute, which, as Strikeforce fighter and Invicta commentator Julie Kedzie explains later, is kind of the point.

"Even if you were pregnant all week, it might not show up on the test until today," Kedzie says as she sits in a chair backstage two hours before fight time, having her hair and makeup done in Knapp's "office," which is really a grim little bunker of a room with bad lighting and a shortage of electrical outlets.

Does she know of any fighters who found out they were pregnant via a fight night pregnancy test, I ask. Oh yes, Kedzie says. She knows of a few. What's really crazy is not that they had no idea they were pregnant, but that they successfully made weight with all that happening inside them.

Read entire article...

10/10/12 10:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah. Dana isn't a spit bucket guy. So? Phone Post
10/10/12 10:28 PM
Clarence Parents
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great story from Ben Fowlkes. He does good work.
10/10/12 10:32 PM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn.

10/10/12 10:36 PM
Paradiso

Clarence Parents - Great story from Ben Fowlkes. He does good work.

10/10/12 11:03 PM
MachidasBrew 209TT

Honestly wish i could volunteer and help them out. I'd gladly be the bucket guy. Phone Post
10/10/12 11:05 PM
UGCTT_AsimpleFan
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Article discusses stream numbers. Phone Post
10/10/12 11:06 PM
stonepony

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -  Yeah. Dana isn't a spit bucket guy. So? Phone Post

I don't think this was an attack really. She's just talking about the differences between the UFC and an upstart like Invicta. I'm sure she realizes that women in the UFC is going to happen any day now. That could mean a huuuuuge payday for her. The moment the UFC starts fishing for new talent, these female fighters are going to be looking to jump ship. She would prefer to be bought out, as opposed to struggling to compete which is a losing endeavor.
10/10/12 11:07 PM
Kneeblock
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds cool. Will read later.
10/10/12 11:08 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

stonepony -
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -  Yeah. Dana isn't a spit bucket guy. So? Phone Post

I don't think this was an attack really. She's just talking about the differences between the UFC and an upstart like Invicta. I'm sure she realizes that women in the UFC is going to happen any day now. That could mean a huuuuuge payday for her. The moment the UFC starts fishing for new talent, these female fighters are going to be looking to jump ship. She would prefer to be bought out, as opposed to struggling to compete which is a losing endeavor.
Good point. Te title of course sounds like a dig ate Dana tho. Phone Post
10/10/12 11:14 PM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/12 11:13 PM

ben consistently has great articles

10/10/12 11:14 PM
Kirik
1680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
UGCTT_AsimpleFan -  Article discusses stream numbers. Phone Post

That piece was awesome - I believed Shannon was telling the truth, but it didn't make a ton of sense to me - Fowlkes laid it out so it did make sense.

I bet there were 30k uniques from the UG alone at some point during the 14 fights, so the 300k figure makes sense.

10/10/12 11:42 PM
stonepony

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 
stonepony -

Good point. Te title of course sounds like a dig ate Dana tho. Phone Post

UG is pretty notorious about that IMO. Titles are sooo skewed. Gets more attention to present like she's bashing the UFC.
10/10/12 11:47 PM
RKing85
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the thought of Dana White handing out pregnency tests to female fighters is hilarious to me for some reason.
10/10/12 11:50 PM
cambeezee

Where is that GW Bush I didn't read it gif? Phone Post
10/11/12 12:06 AM
jtown2
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKing85 - the thought of Dana White handing out pregnency tests to female fighters is hilarious to me for some reason.
The disgusted look he would have on his face would be hilarious. It would look like " what the fuck has my life become". Phone Post
10/11/12 12:11 AM
TheReflectionOfPerfection

I would gladly hold the pregnancy tests for them. Phone Post
10/11/12 12:48 AM
CindyO

^^^ What was your screen name before you obviously lost a bet? Thanks.

Cindy

10/11/12 12:49 AM
CindyO

Wait... Haole?

Cindy

10/11/12 12:51 AM
epic hero

CindyO - 

Cindy

At least he didn't tuck though.

10/11/12 2:11 AM
CindyO

epic hero - 
CindyO - 

Cindy

At least he didn't tuck though.

Ha! You didn't read the article did you, epic zero?

Cindy

10/11/12 4:31 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cant wait until the moment comes when they have to cancel a bout due to an unexpected pregnancy.

Anyways great article. It was rather interesting to read though it also kind of gives you a window in how dumb some people can be (lets be serious a girl who is fighting does check up on these things herself continuesly i hope).

10/11/12 6:19 AM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - 
Kirik - 
UGCTT_AsimpleFan -  Article discusses stream numbers. Phone Post

That piece was awesome - I believed Shannon was telling the truth, but it didn't make a ton of sense to me - Fowlkes laid it out so it did make sense.

I bet there were 30k uniques from the UG alone at some point during the 14 fights, so the 300k figure makes sense.

Respectfully KIrik, you are making an ass out of yourself by backing these outrageous claims.

Claiming to triple the #s from the highest profile UFC FaceBook streamed fight of all time is comedy at best, this article even clearly claims the host (5A) Knapp publicly threw under the bus for failing to handle traffic for Invicta 2 was their provider for #2 & #3.

Taking whats presented in this article at face value = she or Fowles are lying or flat out wrong. She publicly thanked Edgecast for saving her from a 5A caused disaster at Invicta 2.

No one gets to rewrite history, all of this is documented.

Invicta doesn't geoblock their fights, doesn't require a facebook account, doesn't require you to install silverlight, has a live stream right at the front of their website, and that number is all unique IP addresses over the course of a 5+ hour event stretching well into evening, not for a few lower-tier fights on Facebook at 7:30 Eastern/4:30 Pacific.

I usually don't even bother with UFC Facebook fights these days but I caught most of Invicta. Only hardcore nerds care about either and Invicta is still much more of a novelty, plus you get to see an entire event.

When you combine all the factors it's not _that_ unbelievable. If the UFC put an entire B-show for free streaming from the front of UFC.com I'm sure its reach would be ten times Invicta's. Putting a few fights who are either virtual no-namers or people relegated to Facebook specifically because they have a boring reputation isn't really the same.
10/11/12 6:31 AM
Nexuscrawlers
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^yeah, comparing it to the facebook stream doesn't make sense. One is 2 fights the otherr is 14. It's more comparable to a Bellator on spike stream (although I have no idea what those ratings are and the main card is also aired on tv). At least then you're comparing 2 whole events Phone Post
10/11/12 8:27 AM
Nexuscrawlers
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE -
Nexuscrawlers -  ^^yeah, comparing it to the facebook stream doesn't make sense. One is 2 fights the otherr is 14. It's more comparable to a Bellator on spike stream (although I have no idea what those ratings are and the main card is also aired on tv). At least then you're comparing 2 whole events Phone Post

Do you believe her claimed #s are accurate?
Idk, but I don't think they are crazy. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.