UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Canadian Dirt Dozen

10/10/12 10:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DeGward
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw a post in the BJJ forum regarding the first 12 non Brazilian black belts. Many times the dirty dozen refers to the first 12 American BBs.

So who are the first 12 Canadian BJJ black belts? Phone Post
10/10/12 10:40 PM
alittleknowledge

I foresee this devolving into an internet catfight.
10/11/12 12:21 AM
plasticonoband
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bob mcroberts Phone Post
10/11/12 1:05 AM
Joe Doerksen
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alittleknowledge - I foresee this devolving into an internet catfight.

correct
10/11/12 8:16 AM
guardbr8kr

Canario !!!!!!
10/11/12 2:14 PM
KyokushinandBJJ
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guardbr8kr - Canario !!!!!!

Every time I see that I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4QgWRycd7I

(Blue help pls)
10/11/12 2:28 PM
thats g
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

define canadian.
10/11/12 7:52 PM
Dougie
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/11/12 7:53 PM
Dougie
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guardbr8kr - Canario !!!!!!

Canario is a legend in Canadian MMA!

10/11/12 10:19 PM
Joe Doerksen
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

plasticonoband -  Bob mcroberts Phone Post

yup
10/12/12 2:57 AM
Koga

The "original eight" (in order): Sylvain Moroney, Dan Moroney, Richard Dimitri, Jacques Patenaude, Carlos Newton, Zee Vjesalicu, the orginal "spider" guy (not Rob Di Censo), Juliana Holanda
10/12/12 10:17 AM
thats g
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i would have thought bocek would be there somewhere.
10/12/12 6:39 PM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who did Carlos get his bb from? Phone Post
10/12/12 7:53 PM
tulip

Koga - The "original eight" (in order): Sylvain Moroney, Dan Moroney, Richard Dimitri, Jacques Patenaude, Carlos Newton, Zee Vjesalicu, the orginal "spider" guy (not Rob Di Censo), Juliana Holanda

lol, either epic troll or least informed post in forum history. Carlos got his belt less than a year ago from John, Roger & Carlos Machado. First 3 teaching in Canada fulltime were Soares, Munduruca and Fabiano. Dan Moroney was widely revered/disputed (depending on who you ask) as Canada's first homegrown black belt over a decade ago on ths very forum.

i don't have a horse in this race, but it would be nice if Canada recorded/celebrated it's bjj history as well as the Americans.
10/13/12 2:22 PM
thats g

The Danny moroney arguement seems pretty simple. If Danny got his bb from his brother doesn't that mean Syl was a bb before him?
10/13/12 2:57 PM
Caught_clean
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

plasticonoband - Bob mcroberts Phone Post
This Phone Post
10/13/12 6:02 PM
LittleBoy

Bob McRoberts no doubt, and receiving at the same ceremony was Glen Flamand

Winnipegers at least can thank these two men for getting it all started for us!
10/13/12 10:24 PM
simms
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Bocek Phone Post
10/14/12 1:14 AM
tulip

thats g - The Danny moroney arguement seems pretty simple. If Danny got his bb from his brother doesn't that mean Syl was a bb before him?

Except that he didn't get it from his brother, he got it from Mauricio Pereira. I've no idea where Syl fits into it.

Again, this was discussed exhaustively on this forum when it happened; many refused to acknowledge Dan as a legit promotion for various reasons, and when Mark Bocek received his a while later folks started calling Mark Canada's 1st homegrown BJJ black belt. To Mark's credit, his website only describes himself as "one of" Canada's first.

That whole 'original eight' post is bullshit, half those people aren't even black belts at all, and names like Bocek aren't even mentioned. Again, either an epic troll post, or the dumbest ass in forum history.

So to answer the OP's question: at this point, I think everyone includes Dan Moroney and Mark Bocek in Canada's Dirty Dozen. The other 10? Anyone else care to chime in, or has dojo politics got y'all tongue-tied?
10/14/12 12:59 PM
Koga

Zee Vjesalicu would scissor choke your head half off with her thighs so watch your mouth calling the Original 8 lame.
10/14/12 5:51 PM
thats g

My bad.
I know mark and Danny are among the first 12 for sure, syl has to be there somewhere.
Danny has explained his lineage on this forum, there's no doubting he's legit.
10/15/12 8:26 AM
Massa
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMHO if this list is made it should be those who are Canadian Citizens who received their Black Belt in Canada.
10/16/12 10:00 PM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Massa - IMHO if this list is made it should be those who are Canadian Citizens who received their Black Belt in Canada.

This, and ONLY this.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.