UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson Silva: 5 Signature Moves

10/11/12 8:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys,

Second signature moves piece this week. It's a bit gimmicky but it's always fun to look at fighters' unique techniques.

Hope you don't mind clicking the link and as always all feedback is welcomed!

Cheers,
Jack

Yesterday we examined some of the go to techniques of heavyweight legend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - today we take a look at some of the signature techniques of the spider at the centre of the middleweight web, Anderson Silva.

1. Hiding Behind the Shoulders

The shoulder roll is held in almost mythical regard in modern times - very few attempt to get good at it for fear that they'll get beaten up learning it and instead stick to a hands up, ear muffs style defence. With 4oz gloves there isn't a lot of ear muff to hide behind however, so intelligent MMA boxers such as Anderson Silva and B.J. Penn learn to hide their chin behind their shoulders and take the rest of their head away from the target.

The shoulder roll is first and foremost an evasion - taking the head away from the opponent's strikes - and not a block. The shoulder simply guards the chin. If the opponent is persistent and follows the shoulder roller's head, he will connect with their shoulder and his punch will glance off of it, leaving a hole for a counter punch.

Silva rarely takes punches on his shoulders - but when he is evading strikes he is almost always in position to take strikes on his shoulders. A nice example of Silva using the shoulder roll is against Yushin Okami - who was reluctant to throw anything but his jab simply because he doesn't have any other effective stand up techniques. Silva was throwing a non-committal jab and every time dropped his punching hand, assumed a side on stance and hid behind his shoulder - waiting for Okami to come back at him.

3 and 4 show Silva performing evasions behind his lead shoulder in a very side on stance - hoping for Okami to attempt to strike him.

An excellent example of Silva evading punches behind his shoulder is his bout with Forrest Griffin. (G) (G)

After leading with a left straight, Silva immediately got back behind his right shoulder as Griffin attempted a counter. Silva also uses his shoulders excellently in the Thai plumm, to avoid his terrified opponent's wild flails.

10/11/12 8:50 AM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
10/11/12 9:15 AM
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goderson Silva - Do you mind if i post this on my twitter? may get you a few views also...

Thanks man, go for it! =)

10/11/12 9:16 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub Phone Post
10/11/12 9:26 AM
The Chronicle
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That GIF vs Forrest is why Anderson is the greatest.

Pure genius! Phone Post
10/11/12 9:32 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

About time Jack! lol

I was hoping this would come some day....

10/11/12 9:49 AM
hustlewestbrook

Fantastic. Phone Post
10/11/12 10:02 AM
KingGo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
10/11/12 10:03 AM
TheFlyingGentlemen

Phone Post
10/11/12 10:17 AM
mikerobmma
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do shoulder rolls, great defense. Only thing is is that my my kickboxing coach feels that it leaves a person very open to kicks. Legs, body, wherever. What are your thoughts? Legit claims, or can a person defend kicks properly while doing a shoulder roll?

Love your posts either way. They deserve more attention. Phone Post
10/11/12 10:26 AM
Jack Slack

mikerobmma -  I do shoulder rolls, great defense. Only thing is is that my my kickboxing coach feels that it leaves a person very open to kicks. Legs, body, wherever. What are your thoughts? Legit claims, or can a person defend kicks properly while doing a shoulder roll?

Love your posts either way. They deserve more attention. Phone Post

Shoulder rolls do leave you a little exposed to high kicks. If you dip your head pretty low like the last part of the Anderson - Okami stills you can get it to roll over your back (presuming it's coming from that side) but it's still a little dangerous against guys with fast kicks.

That said there aren't that many people who can high kick fast enough to make you pay unless you're doing it literally all the time and you aren't thinking about it.

10/11/12 10:27 AM
Bispingoed by UGCTT_Benwahwah
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subd!!

10/11/12 10:48 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never noticed he caught a leg kick to deliver that elbow against Chael. Masterful. Phone Post
10/11/12 11:48 AM
Krypstonite
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. Great read as always. Phone Post
10/11/12 12:11 PM
StringerBell

Hey Jack, can you do one on Erick Silva please?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.