UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Arrow...what did you think?

11/3/12 3:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
637 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - the mom angle is building up with the reveal this ep

anyone catch geek references... even i caught them, so the rest of you must've!

1) Ollie has bad guy on railroad tracks and says something like "10:15 to Bludhaven"

ages ago, read some Nightwing, that's his city that he protects, right? paw/jkd_guy in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... DK if new DCU has Nightwing at all or if he's even still in Bludhaven

2) Diggle's dead brother = Andy... as in Andy Diggle

Andy Diggle is a British comic book writer and former editor of 2000 AD. He is best known for his work on The Losers,[1] Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Adam Strange and Silent Dragon at DC Comics and for his run on Thunderbolts and Daredevil after his move to Marvel. (copied from wiki - i know him for Losers)

sort of gripe -- Laurel is in her apartment, her lights won't turn on, she goes to her desk drawer and pulls out a handgun (don't remember if it was a glock or not)

don't know about gun laws in Starling City, but handguns should be locked up and unloaded at home IIRC (i'm not a gun owner) - although in real life, i'm sure there are gun owners who don't have their weapons locked up and also have them loaded already.

I caught that Andy Diggle reference too. He also wrote "Green Arrow: Year 1"

Another to add to the list. The corrupt judge in the first episode was "Judge Grell", as in Mike Grell, writer/artist of the ever badass "Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters"
11/5/12 10:56 AM
Stickgrappler
1670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh dayum, i missed the Grell reference! i'm a grell fan back in da day.

+1

OIC -- missed GAY1 -- wow, bad acronym for that mini... how about GA:Y1... a little better lol

hmm... Kevin Smith is too common a name perhaps to add that geek reference into the series.
11/5/12 10:58 AM
Stickgrappler
1670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thx Yvel Machida... will have to rewatch... missed him too

thx CW too.

a general q to any GG archers -- if you used your bow as a staff/club, wouldn't that ruin the bow? perhaps it's the material it's made of?
11/5/12 12:08 PM
grizz632
637 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - oh dayum, i missed the Grell reference! i'm a grell fan back in da day.

+1

OIC -- missed GAY1 -- wow, bad acronym for that mini... how about GA:Y1... a little better lol

hmm... Kevin Smith is too common a name perhaps to add that geek reference into the series.
Did they mention Kevin Smith too? He wrote two arcs on Green Arrow so that's definitely a shout out Phone Post
11/5/12 12:14 PM
Gendai Budo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - thx Yvel Machida... will have to rewatch... missed him too

thx CW too.

a general q to any GG archers -- if you used your bow as a staff/club, wouldn't that ruin the bow? perhaps it's the material it's made of?
High quality bows are incredibly resilient. I haven't used a bow as a hand-to-hand combat weapon but as a compliment to martial arts, there is likely some feasibility. Phone Post
11/5/12 12:30 PM
Stickgrappler

grizz632 - 
Stickgrappler - oh dayum, i missed the Grell reference! i'm a grell fan back in da day.

+1

Did they mention Kevin Smith too? He wrote two arcs on Green Arrow so that's definitely a shout out Phone Post

no, i don't think they gave a shout out to Kevin Smith (yet), but I didn't know that Andy Diggle wrote GA: Y1. just thought it was a DC geekfest reference. now, it's just a GA geekfest reference since I missed "Grell" and expecting them to ref KS sooner or later.
11/5/12 1:40 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
1165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - lol -- cool in a way... you have no kids right?

ONE.  BUT SHE IS OLD ENOUGH TO BE TRUSTED AROUND MY GUNS.  SHE IS ALMOST IN HIGHSCHOOL AND HAS BEEN THOROUGHLY TRAINED ON HOW TO PROPERLY USE AND CLEAN ALL MY GUNS. SHE KNOWS THEY AREN'T TOYS TO BE PLAYED WITH. 

11/5/12 2:09 PM
grizz632

Stickgrappler -
grizz632 - 

+1

no, i don't think they gave a shout out to Kevin Smith (yet), but I didn't know that Andy Diggle wrote GA: Y1. just thought it was a DC geekfest reference. now, it's just a GA geekfest reference since I missed "Grell" and expecting them to ref KS sooner or later.
Ah, ok. The tv series is loosely based on Year 1, so if you haven't read it and are digging the series I'd check it out. It's the same artist as"The Losers" also if I remember right Phone Post
11/5/12 4:17 PM
Stickgrappler

Jock? or was he only cover artist for Losers. ugh... getting old sux... don't remember. lol at me.
11/5/12 6:47 PM
grizz632

Yep, it was Jock Phone Post
11/6/12 9:17 PM
MuaySteve
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They played this weeks episode a day early here in Canada. Not to bad. Not sure how I feel about Deathstroke. The only reference I have for the character is from the Teen Titans cartoon from a while back, where he seemed very methodical and intelligent. Tonight he was just a thug in suit.
11/8/12 9:47 PM
Stickgrappler

thx grizz632

------------

yeah MuaySteve, not sure if Deathstroke will be a recurring villain given what we saw in the pilot, which doesn't mean anything

-----------

looong day at work... when i watched it was with half a brain... only geek reference, if you can call it that, was when Laurel was in Ollie's room, first time in ages... Ollie mentions 2005 halloween party and Laurel says she was in 'fishnets' -- one step closer to Black Canary

11/14/12 8:45 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this show, and I love laurel. She's got some banging titties Phone Post
11/15/12 5:54 AM
bogle1
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just started watching it watched the first three very enjoyable so far!

What episode is deathstroke in? Phone Post
11/15/12 6:00 AM
YVEL MACHIDA
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bogle1 - Just started watching it watched the first three very enjoyable so far!

What episode is deathstroke in? Phone Post
4 Phone Post
11/15/12 9:32 AM
Tidbits
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the foreshadowing that the sister might become his sidekick ie nickname: Speedy.
11/16/12 12:53 PM
TX_432
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dead Again -

The Royal Flush Gang in the last episode.

Man were they a let down. Phone Post
11/16/12 1:24 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TX_432 - 
Dead Again -

I feel like all the villians will be, because of the no powers rule. I get wanting a grittier version of the story, but damn, they're killing what makes this stuff cool. It's different when you're talking about a tent pole flick that can make up for it in other ways, I just don't think it works for the smaller medium that is TV.
11/17/12 8:17 AM
TX_432
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond -
TX_432 - 
Dead Again -

I feel like all the villians will be, because of the no powers rule. I get wanting a grittier version of the story, but damn, they're killing what makes this stuff cool. It's different when you're talking about a tent pole flick that can make up for it in other ways, I just don't think it works for the smaller medium that is TV.
True. If I was one if the writers I would of made them a modern day street gang, with the mentality of a Mexican cartel. No mercy for the general public or life whatsoever. Phone Post
11/21/12 11:37 AM
Stickgrappler

Agreed that the Royal Flush gang was a letdown.

Also, if they have been knocking off banks for 5 yrs (I was distracted a little with kids homework, so maybe it wasn't 5 yrs) and have the dough to arm themselves with AK-47's or whatever, they would have the good sense of outfitting themselves with kevlar vests. Knocking off banks and not expecting return fire at some point?

If the gang had the brains to plan their escapes like that, they would have had the good sense to get kevlar vests.
11/21/12 2:55 PM
paw
1457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

me thinks stick has a kevlar fetish..... ;)

11/21/12 3:48 PM
Stickgrappler

lol -- maybe or maybe not... if stories have people with firearms shooting each other, and the story is trying to be realistic somewhat, you would think at the minimum, there would be kevlar vest.

dude was prepared for Ollie with a riot shield against arrows... so dude is scared of arrows enough to get a riot shield, but not scared of ammunition so he didn't get a kevlar vest?

SG note to GG: rare case of SG getting his geek thinking cap on... he usually just watches and suspends disbelief to the point of not be a thinking geek to pick apart stories.
11/21/12 4:35 PM
paw
1457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was mostly teasing...but you have a point and I would think it's an easy enough fix with a line or two of dialog.

For example:

Diggle hands Oliver a bulletproof vest.

Oliver: I can't move with that bulky thing.

The writers could easily do the same thing with the villian of the week.  (As an aside, I'm ready for fewer villians of the week.  So far the only villian that's survived is...China White (Kelly Hu), I think...)

Still liking the show though.

11/23/12 2:24 PM
Stickgrappler

writers have shown the villains of the week is not status quo, if you define villain of the week being the names in ollie's dad's book as witness the royal flush gang

deathstroke may be presumed dead but it's no guarantee

within a handful of episodes, writers have shaken up the milieu instead of drawing it out too long so i give them that... ollie caught on vid, goes to trial; tommy merlyn and laurel lance getting close again somewhat, etc

still like it outside of the badly choreographed fight scenes, looks like the cameraman was on a pogo stick or masturbating ... very disorienting to see what's going on
11/26/12 8:47 AM
bogle1
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finally catching up in this email enjoying it so far never really been Into the green arrow either

Really hope death stroke makes another appearance tho Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.