UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Bought a vitamix - shake recipes?

10/11/12 7:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys,

I bought a vitamix finally, this thing is an animal. I've been making a ton of shakes and I'm just looking for more recipes.

Lately my shakes look something like this.

Acai
Pomegranate juice
frozen mixed berries or frozen whole strawberries
spinach and/or kale
protein powder

Its pretty tasty but I'd assume quite high in sugar. Looking for some TASTY shakes that are more veggie based.

List your favorite healthy shake recipes. Thanks
10/12/12 12:45 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 leaves of kale + stalks
2 carrots
1 avocado
1 orange or apple (not both)
Maybe a little orange juice for taste

Lower in sugar if that bothers you. I really don't sweat the sugar with my shakes
10/12/12 12:47 PM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my favorites is an avocado blended up with an egg, a tablespoon of almond butter, a scoop of promasil vanilla protein, 6oz unsweetened almond milk, and a splash of pure vanilla extract and a pinch of cinnamon.

its not a veggie shake but comes in at less than 3g of sugar. Its a great morning shake if your on the go and will keep you feeling full until a late lunch.

About 540 calories.
43g of fat (mostly good healthy fats).
40g of protein.
and only 17g of carbs with 12g of fibre!! Phone Post
10/14/12 8:46 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys Phone Post
10/15/12 1:04 PM
Calbert
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku's Kitchen Sink shake is pretty much identical to the shake that I make the most:

Kitchen-Sink Shake Recipe
1 cup of water, Yerba-Mate or iced green tea (I use Yerba-Mate)
1-2 scoops vanilla milk protein blend (I, use a blend of Casein, Egg and Whey)
0.5-1 cup of frozen berry blend (I use Blueberries)
1-2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds (I use organic seeds, and grind my own)
2-3 tablespoons of mixed nuts (I use Organic Almonds and Walnuts)
1 teaspoon creatine (Nothing fancy, just good old mono-hydrate)
1 cup Baby Spinach (I use Organic)
Add all ingredients in blender and blend on high for 30-40 seconds.

I use everything here except I don't add creatine. If you want to play with ingredients or flavors, sometimes I replace the nuts with a little coconut oil or you can use different berry blends (I tend to use strawberries, blueberries, already mixed berry blends, or the frozen acai sheets). I also add a tablespoon of Greens Plus green food powder but you don't have to if you don't want.
10/15/12 4:58 PM
LeftBench

RobinHood -  Man if I spent that sort of $$$ I'd expect a nice Latino to pop round and tickle my butt. Phone Post

LOL I hear ya.

Luckily, we had $300 in gift cards to Bed, Bath and Beyond from our wedding. My wife found a 20% coupon and she had $24.00 in store credit from a return.

Our final price for the Vitamix was $1.86

booya!
10/15/12 5:53 PM
comeacrossclean
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A latino, eh? Manuel? Pedro? Juan? Perhaps you meant a latina? Gabriela? Catalina? Nina?
10/15/12 7:05 PM
Cheggers
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a pain on the ass blending every morning. Does anyone make two days worth at the same time? I'm presuming the nutrients may bream down quicker once blended hence next days shake gives less bang per buck, but interested to hear opinions Phone Post
10/15/12 7:32 PM
shadallion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was getting crazy with my Vitamix for awhile but now I'm down to the following ingredients:

Two scoops Vanilla whey protein
Large handful of kale (fresh or frozen, doesn't matter)
Water
Ice

That's it. The Vanilla flavor the whey is sweet enough to counterbalance the bitterness of the kales.

Kale has vitually all the vitamins you're goign to get from all those other veggies (#Broscience) and it's easier than always hunting down broccoli, collard greens, chard, wheatgrass, etc.
10/15/12 7:37 PM
turducken

pretty gross to mix dairy with greens...sort of defeats the purpose of making a green smoothie.

i like:
1 cup frozen blueberries
3 tbsp chia seeds
enough greens to fill the blender(usually spinach or kale)
water as needed

or

2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 banana
3/4 cup frozen strawberries
1 scoop plain unflavored whey
water(or milk or almond milk) as needed
10/17/12 4:11 PM
darkness66
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheggers - It's a pain on the ass blending every morning. Does anyone make two days worth at the same time? I'm presuming the nutrients may bream down quicker once blended hence next days shake gives less bang per buck, but interested to hear opinions Phone Post
From what I understand about high powered blenders and juicers, they aerate the juice causing oxidation. I wouldn't make 2 days worth for that reason. Phone Post
10/17/12 5:16 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is it a pain in ass to blend every day? It's easier than making a traditional breakfast.
10/17/12 6:10 PM
darkness66
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I juice and blend and juicing is a much bigger pain in the ass than blending.
If I were you I'd buy all of my fruits and veggies at a time, wash, chop and bag them but make sure they're dried well. Get 2 days worth but I wouldn't recommend more than that because they might start to spoil Phone Post
10/18/12 1:20 AM
Ham and Egger
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kale, frozen berries, chopped apple, celery, Ginger root and a peeled lemon. Phone Post
10/18/12 2:23 AM
darkness66

Onnit.com has 3 recipes up right now because they started selling blendtec blenders. I wouldn't recommend blending garlic though, I did and didn't juice juice for a month after Phone Post
10/18/12 12:44 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have posted so many recipes on my blog over the years. Here are links to a few:

LINK 1:

LINK 2:

LINK 3:

TAKU

10/19/12 9:51 AM
big_slacker

darkness66 -  I juice and blend and juicing is a much bigger pain in the ass than blending.
If I were you I'd buy all of my fruits and veggies at a time, wash, chop and bag them but make sure they're dried well. Get 2 days worth but I wouldn't recommend more than that because they might start to spoil Phone Post

Yeah, he didn't say whether it was prep or just washing the blender thats a PITA. If prep then it's easy enough to pre-chop everything and freeze it. Then every morning just throw it in the blender with water/juice.
10/19/12 1:43 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

since juicing is a bit silly I prefer to blend and it's easy and quick. 

10/22/12 5:09 PM
LeftBench

Good read thanks for all the tips and recipes folks
10/24/12 4:18 AM
Chappie
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later. Phone Post
10/26/12 2:03 PM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 Bananas
3 cups almond milk
1 avocado
1/2 cup mangoes
1 tsp chia seeds
1/4 tsp Cacao nibs
kale or spinach to fill blender.
10/28/12 3:40 PM
Aaron J

2 cups spinach leaves
2 cups pineapple
1/2-1 cup almond milk
7" stalk of celery
2 cup ice
10/29/12 4:30 PM
1800champagne

My breakfast smoothie:
2 cups water
1 T coconut oil
1 T chia seeds
1 LARGE handful mixed greens
1 cup mixed frozen berries
1 small handful almonds
1 scoop chocolate whey

Surprisingly tasty, or maybe I'm just sick. Phone Post
11/7/12 9:54 PM
x FOX x
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Joe Rogan hulk load recipe is good Phone Post
11/11/12 10:29 PM
Mr Sizzzz
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm interested in starting some of these recipes. I have a typical blender at the moment. Do i need a top notch juicer to make these? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.