UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Down and dirty SHTF first aid kit

10/13/12 12:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...for one family. Any suggestions?
12/24/12 6:04 PM
Badmonkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duct tape.

12/25/12 12:43 AM
Loiosh
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duct tape and clean cotton torn from clothing for bandages. Duct tape and tree branch for splint. Duct tape cut down to make butterfly sutures.

I prefer Gorilla tape, though. It's stronger and more adhesive.

Also, Gorilla's version of superglue is great for a liquid stitch. I had a deep cut on my palm that wouldn't close. A doctor applied the medical version of a liquid stitch and it lasted less than a day. I used Gorilla glue and only had to reapply it every day and a half or so till the healing started. For lesser cuts, one application is all I've ever needed.
12/27/12 6:44 PM
MountainMedic
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aSTRONG word of caution when closing woulds with glues. NOTHING is clean or sterile. EVER. if you completely clos a woynd you will have a raging infection within a day. you need to leave an end open to drain. trust me on this one.

fwiw-
90% of what you find in a commercial kit is garbage.
maxipads make great dressings.
sam splints can do almost anything.
in a real extended stay/remote location medical scenario, you have to think about logistics & resource management.
put away a stash of things like immodium, ibu, neosporin, iodine, low grade pain killers like tramadol.
an epi pen or epi 1:1000 (with the knowlege to use).
learn how to decompress a chest.

a wilderness first aid/wfr class is highly reccomended.
12/27/12 9:49 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - aSTRONG word of caution when closing woulds with glues. NOTHING is clean or sterile. EVER. if you completely clos a woynd you will have a raging infection within a day. you need to leave an end open to drain. trust me on this one.

fwiw-
90% of what you find in a commercial kit is garbage.
maxipads make great dressings.
sam splints can do almost anything.
in a real extended stay/remote location medical scenario, you have to think about logistics & resource management.
put away a stash of things like immodium, ibu, neosporin, iodine, low grade pain killers like tramadol.
an epi pen or epi 1:1000 (with the knowlege to use).
learn how to decompress a chest.

a wilderness first aid/wfr class is highly reccomended.

What's the difference between a sam splint vs. a regular makeshift splint?

I assembled small packs for each member of my brood to keep in the trunk of their respective cars for emergencies. The first aid portion included all types of gauze patches, tape, bandaids/strips, ointments of every kind, tylenol, small splints, cleaning wipes, emergency blankets, and rain ponchos. Also in the pack is extra clothing and fire starting capabilities. They each have a small light and pocket knife on them as well.

Any suggestions to add?

Note: Having multiple kids leads to eventually having multiple teens/young adults - which leads to much higher expenses (see "respective cars for emergencies") that you will most likely incur. Remember that fact, you young parents out there.
12/28/12 1:22 PM
MountainMedic
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I have time today at a desktop ill try to answer. Phone Post
3/5/13 10:11 AM
pancadinha
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a SAM splint is a flat piece of flexible metal (think lead) about 3" wide x 6"-18" long, covered in thin foam. it is malleable to be formed into multiple shapes for any limb, but firm enough to hold a fx in place.
10/31/13 5:06 PM
RooJitsu
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
10/31/13 6:58 PM
IP

I ended up making several smaller kits for each family members' emergency bag (in their cars). Each kit consisted of assorted pads for bleeding, smaller bandages, tape/sissors, crapload of different ointments/alcohol pads/antiseptics, gloves, N95 mask, etc. Hopefully enough to get them, and others nearby if needed, through the initial part of a disaster/medical emergency.
11/3/13 5:42 PM
ghost of KVR
673 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHomeSteadingBoards.com, Owner
MountainMedic -  If I have time today at a desktop ill try to answer. Phone Post

lol, you ever going to respond?

11/3/13 8:25 PM
IP

^^^He left me.

*Tears up*
11/12/13 6:35 PM
MountainMedic

ghost of KVR -
MountainMedic -  If I have time today at a desktop ill try to answer. Phone Post

lol, you ever going to respond?

I've been looking for those docs for a while, clearly! Phone Post 3.0
11/20/13 11:21 PM
I cleaned up CRE's CREAM

In Phone Post 3.0
11/26/13 5:46 AM
jarhead93
891 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome post Phone Post 3.0
12/4/13 4:59 PM
TheHouse
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A good modern tourniquet should also make it into a pack, but you should get some training on how to use one and in what types of situations.  

7/14/14 5:03 AM
rckallday
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
11 days ago
revolution is my name
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about Quick Clot? Is it any good. Phone Post 3.0
2 days ago
jjgrappler1017

There was an article I recently saw that was linking quikclot to embolisms in people.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.