UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Undergrad major suggestions

10/13/12 12:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IP
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daughter is a senior in HS taking calculus and physics (likes math). She's also very artistic, but hates science and chem. Any suggestions on majors? Comments on environmental engineering?
11/2/12 12:54 AM
Gullivers Travels
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://money.cnn.com/pf/best-jobs/2012/snapshots/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Any engineering or STEM degree (yes, I know that includes engineering) is recommended IMO. Just don't let her switch to a liberal arts degree once she becomes challenged.
11/14/12 11:38 PM
smokeweed420
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

take a year off and figure out what she actually wants to achieve in life (this may be a case of just choosing a profession)

then really try hard and strive to achieve the goal.

Picking a degree she may not enjoy, might just meander through with ok grades will get her nowhere except in debt.

Being the top of the class because she is motivated will open doors for her
11/15/12 4:32 PM
IP
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm encouraging her to attend a school with a broad base of majors, giving here plenty to choose from once she decides.
11/27/12 11:39 PM
smokeweed420

sounds alright i guess

just make sure she doesnt fall in to the trap of picking a degree that "sounds fun" if she isnt willing to work hard.

With pretty much anything, you get out what you put in. This is especially true at university/college. If she puts in the effort she will reap the rewards. If she slacks off she may enjoy her time there but in 5 years she will regret it bigtime.

Sorry if im making negative assumptions about your daughter i'm just going off my experience with most undergrads.

I've just graduated with 150 other people with the same degree as me, except I'm one of about 5 who were selected for a graduate program which is guaranteed to lead to high paying jobs

the other 145 will basically face the harsh reality that a psychology undergraduate degree is worth nothing in the job market.
11/28/12 5:42 PM
IP

She applied to several, with University of Oregon at the top of her list.
11/29/12 5:18 PM
ClevelandCursed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just tell her to focus on gen-eds her first year, maybe a class or two in fields shes interested in. She can do some extra-curriculars in those departments and get a better feel of if thats what she wants to pursue.
2/5/13 6:42 PM
IP

She's now leaning towards Accounting, since she's strong in math. Maybe down the road applying with the FBI.

Soccer coach for U of O is going to watch one of her upcoming games and maybe consider her for a walk-on spot. Daughter sounds like she really doesn't want to play soccer in college - wants to live a normal college life. Hard to argue I guess.
3/6/13 12:48 PM
Aaron Becker

I don't agree with just taking gen eds the first year. It's nice to have some gen eds banked up for her junior and senior years so she can balance her hard 400 level classes with some easy 100 level classes. There are assessments that she can take probably offered by her highschool that can assess her interestss and give her suggestions on what she might be interested in.
9/10/13 2:42 AM
xiaomingzc

Third, you have to http://www.d3face.com be able to get all of your solutions in one position because many marriage locations in the Hamilton place offer everything you need for the most ideal marriage.So to prevent doing too much perform in your attempt for the most ideal marriage, begin with selecting the http://www.WOWgoldpvp.com location first and evaluation the solutions they offer. Here are some concerns to make when selecting solutions at these venues:Consider these solutions when selecting the location itself. Sometimes all it requires is for one support agency to wow you and take your support from http://www.rsgoldfast.com one location to another.
12/3/13 10:23 PM
asdf
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/03/13 10:24 PM
whatever she studies she should be realistic about her job prospects after graduation. *Especially* if she understands math.

Kids get told "you can do anything you want" but that is only half the story. What other people want matters a lot too.

12/4/13 12:32 AM
IP

She's finishing up her first quarter at U of O, shooting for an accounting major.

I am broke.
12/18/13 12:10 AM
thesleeper

Tell her to take some data analysis classes. If she is good at statistics and computers, there is some serious $$$$ out there.
12/18/13 12:13 AM
thesleeper

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304723304577365700368073674

I have two friends from undergrad that do this, they just moved to New Zealand.
12/18/13 12:14 AM
thesleeper

Aaron Becker - I don't agree with just taking gen eds the first year. It's nice to have some gen eds banked up for her junior and senior years so she can balance her hard 400 level classes with some easy 100 level classes. There are assessments that she can take probably offered by her highschool that can assess her interestss and give her suggestions on what she might be interested in.

Also, this guy is right. Its better to have a mix of hard and easy classes each semester, so spread out the generals if possible.
2/11/14 7:19 PM
mmaresearchstudy
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anything where she sets herself up to be an analyist/consultant ... lots of jobs going

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.