UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Your First Computer?

10/13/12 11:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TSMontana
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/02/12 10:45 AM

Tandy Color Computer II with Cassette Tape "drive". Yes, I did program with it.
10/30/12 3:21 PM
deepu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BBC Model B 32k
10/31/12 1:19 PM
MuaySteve
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

c64
11/2/12 10:45 AM
TSMontana
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to make another question...did you program anything on that computer (typing in magazine code, handcrafting code, or a hybrid of the two)?
11/2/12 11:03 AM
deepu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolutely, in Basic. Most of it was typing stuff in (copied from magazines), but the creativity came similarly.

My first "download" is a cool story. We had the BBC in the 80s in Ethiopia so we had no stores for software etc. Once a week however there was a TV show broadcasted that was a computing tutorial show from England. In one of their episodes, when the closing credits came on, they broadcasted the digital noise from code (remember the sound that your computer made when loading a tape?).

We put a tape recorder in front of the TV, recorded the whole thing, then loaded it on our BBC. It worked! It was a land a parachute on a landing pad game :)
11/2/12 11:13 AM
TSMontana

deepu - Absolutely, in Basic. Most of it was typing stuff in (copied from magazines), but the creativity came similarly.

My first "download" is a cool story. We had the BBC in the 80s in Ethiopia so we had no stores for software etc. Once a week however there was a TV show broadcasted that was a computing tutorial show from England. In one of their episodes, when the closing credits came on, they broadcasted the digital noise from code (remember the sound that your computer made when loading a tape?).

We put a tape recorder in front of the TV, recorded the whole thing, then loaded it on our BBC. It worked! It was a land a parachute on a landing pad game :)

That's one of the coolest things I've ever read.
11/2/12 11:36 AM
deepu

TSMontana - 
deepu - Absolutely, in Basic. Most of it was typing stuff in (copied from magazines), but the creativity came similarly.

That's one of the coolest things I've ever read.

:) cheers.

One of the best things about the BBC was its error correction ability when loading a tape. I remember my friends C64 would require a reload from the beginning if it could not read a section of the tape for whatever reason. On the BBC you just had to rewind a little bit and replay the tape.

ttt for more old guys.
11/2/12 6:00 PM
s98ronin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Commodore Vic-20 was my first. Did the whole type from magazines thing...
11/2/12 6:38 PM
theseanster
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/3/12 10:44 PM
JackFunk
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Atari 400 with 16K Ram and Cassette Tape Drive.

Also did a little BASIC programming with it. But mainly enjoyed Donkey Kong, Centipede, Etc. Was a great gaming console for it's era.

Later had a C-64 and 1040st.
11/26/12 1:06 PM
TSMontana

ttt
12/6/12 11:44 AM
BigWilliam
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Atari 800(xl?) with a tape drive. Returned it and got a C64 though after a couple days though. I could get pirated games for that.
12/6/12 6:08 PM
TSMontana

Nice memories. I can hear the whirl of the tape drives as I read these posts.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.