UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> David Torn

10/13/12 4:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/13/12 4:40 PM

Torn is a very electronic sort of electric guitarist -- though maybe by today's standards, that's not so true anymore. No one was doing what he was doing in the 80s, lots of people have caught up to some of that. His stuff is wildly uneven, but when he's "on" he's another of my favorite musicians. Who yes, happens to play guitar. Big influence on some of Jeff Beck's later "electronic" records, one of which he made some contributions to. This tune is the opening track of my favorite of his records. It's called "Spell Breaks With the Weather":

10/13/12 4:40 PM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/13/12 4:41 PM
And here's more. With an "avant" take on the blues in the first of two tunes on this upload.

10/16/12 11:19 AM
hugomma
856 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got a hold of the Torn you sent my way, thanks Ali.  Unfortunatley my MP3 player committed suicide, so I can't listen to anything in the car.  The stuff I like is too weird for my family, so the car is usually were I get to hear what I want.

10/16/12 11:21 AM
Ali

This is among the less "weird" of what I usually recommend... but yeah, "too weird" for folks happens a lot!
10/16/12 11:37 AM
hugomma
856 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/12 11:51 AM
Ali - Torn is a very electronic sort of electric guitarist -- though maybe by today's standards, that's not so true anymore. No one was doing what he was doing in the 80s, lots of people have caught up to some of that. His stuff is wildly uneven, but when he's "on" he's another of my favorite musicians. Who yes, happens to play guitar. Big influence on some of Jeff Beck's later "electronic" records, one of which he made some contributions to. This tune is the opening track of my favorite of his records. It's called "Spell Breaks With the Weather":

Very neat stuff . That could be what the bastard love child of Nis Petter Molvaer, Sonny Sharrock, & Nine Inch Nails would sound like.

Still think it would annoy my wife & kid, unfortunately.

10/17/12 1:49 AM
Ali

They might not love this one... but I bet they wouldn't be annoyed. It's just mellow enough. I think this is spectacularly beautiful. The "rock tone" doesn't really happen till about 2:20 in, with the guitar solo over the top. I think this was his second album:

10/19/12 1:40 AM
Ali

David Torn,Terry Bozzio,Tony Levin,Pat Mastelotto NAMM 2010 (Pt 1 0f 2)

10/23/12 2:56 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really enjoyed that long blues number, interesting compositions.
10/24/12 12:19 AM
Ali

DasBeaver - I really enjoyed that long blues number, interesting compositions.

That's called "Tiny Burns a Bridge". Along with the first one I posted, "Spell Breaks With the Weather", probably my favorite tunes from my favorite of his records. Great slide work on TBaB.

SBwtW makes me think of a curled up dragon getting unfurled, like out of his pocket or something, when that first loud snakey guitar line comes in.

He does non-guitar stuff, too, like electronica/remixing stuff under the name Splattercell, some of which is good; and he's got an alter-ego on SoundCloud where he puts up demos or fragments or... I don't know, stuff he hasn't gotten around to releasing, that sound very good, too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.