UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> Ads in the iPhone app?????

11/28/12 12:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BravoPUA
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been busy all day- gun range for hours and work calls.

Warmed my heart that you guys kept this thread alive.

Vote ups for all as soon as back on laptop! Phone Post
11/28/12 1:12 AM
BravoPUA
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outlaw'd by Lytle - 
PrettyBoy - I for one am surprised to see a blue name green arrowed forum member being ignored. Kirik is usually pretty good about responding. Phone Post
I think at this stage they know the answer's will anger certain people and thus choose to remain silent. Phone Post

agreed with Prettyboy

and we can't let them remain silent!
11/28/12 2:01 AM
Malagant
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
11/28/12 3:40 AM
TheRaider
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got it free with the app-o-day, I can't complain, but I feel for you guys. Phone Post
11/28/12 9:01 AM
Kingtony87
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mma.tv you might have questions but there are no answers. I wonder how long they will ignore this. Phone Post
11/28/12 9:53 AM
BravoPUA

TTT Phone Post
11/28/12 2:28 PM
Brandable
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe youll get an answer by christmas?

11/28/12 3:53 PM
BravoPUA

Brandable -

maybe youll get an answer by christmas?

2013 Christmas!

I was thinking they were just going to wait until the Mayans end the world in a few months. Phone Post
11/28/12 4:00 PM
Bucephalus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's obvious that the only way they will listen is with negative ratings at the app store. I GUARANTEE they will respond if enough people change their rating.
11/28/12 4:36 PM
Kingtony87
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - It's obvious that the only way they will listen is with negative ratings at the app store. I GUARANTEE they will respond if enough people change their rating.
They are rated 1 star by me Phone Post
11/28/12 8:18 PM
BravoPUA

I 1 starred awhile ago! Phone Post
11/28/12 8:43 PM
D_rock
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 star until answered. Phone Post
11/28/12 11:32 PM
BravoPUA

I said months- I meant weeks for 2012 joke
11/28/12 11:42 PM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com
Weaksauce. Phone Post
11/29/12 9:11 AM
Kingtony87

Could today be the day? Maybe yes but likely no! Phone Post
11/29/12 10:00 AM
BravoPUA

I have a feeling NO

But I also have a feeling that this thread has saved us from seeing more ads in the app! Phone Post
11/29/12 11:41 AM
BravoPUA

This was just posted in the iPhone 5 app update thread

Jason -
BravoPUA - 
Jason -

The app in development has the bugs fixed and has been updated to iOS 6 and iPhone 5 support.

We are narrowing down the feature updates to 3 or 4 most important, and then want to get working on those. The reason only 3 or 4 for now is to get it out faster, and then come back and add more functionality later.

Is one of those features that are taking so long more ads?

Can someone officially respond to my Ads in iPhone app thread. Phone Post

I am not sure what response you are looking for. Monetizing profit on a website, company, app, etc, is a strategy decided by the company. I don't really know all whats going on with the ads in the app, as the CTO does 99% of that stuff, but from what I can see, I have only seen ads here and there on occassion and they are not intrusive, so I don't really get the complaints.

Just in my own thoughts, not representing mma.tv. I have other apps that I paid for that have ads in them. I have cable tv I pay for that has ridicilous amounts of ads/commericials. Companies of all sorts are looking for different ways to monetize thier business as consumers are become unresponsive to traditional advertisiting methods. I pay for magazines that have ads in them. I have an Xbox 360 I paid $200 dollars for, a xbox live subscirption I paid $50 a year, and a Madden 2013 game I paid $60 for, and guess what? I get ads in it!!

if you look into it research the " free=ads, paid=no ads" model is evolving and really is a user based perception. Marketing strategies evolve over time as certain techniques become ineffecient, which is why we are starting to see product placement in actually shows as opposed to commercials, because people just fast forward through commercials. Just like people X out of ads without looking at it, or ignore it. I don't really think MMA.tv is some crazy company just trying to screw with people that paid for the app, they are just evolving thier monetizing strategy like most of the media world.

If you are that up in arms about the occasional ad in a $2 app, then I am just not really sure how logical you are approaching your view point. Of course customers are the driving force in any business and we do listen to the concern of customers, but most business don't cater to the negative comments, especially when those are not representaive of the masses, but rather the few loud. People with negative comments are far Louder than those who like the product or don't complain. If you are still unhappy with my explanation, which again is really my opinion on that matter and not a company statement, then please feel free to wait for a response from Kirik, who I will ask to respond to your original thread.

The issue is selling a product, the changing it and making it worse for the customers and better for the sellers. ($ from ads)

All the examples you gave are great- but if all the sudden the DVDs you own or the CDs you own started having adds at the start and in between songs/chapters you wouldn't be happy.

That is a better analogy. Phone Post
11/29/12 12:58 PM
bjws
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just read Jason's reply and thought I'd chime in.

Fact is that for a paid app, there should be no ads. The revenue you are earning from the people that paid $2 for the app means that you are actually earning more off them then you are the free users. You need to figure out the economics and charge what you feel is necessary for the paid app to remove the ads. There is no reason you should have changed the terms for users who bought it before ads existed in it. That's pretty standard stuff.

Have you considered the reason MMA Junkie has up to a 500,000 user base and your app has maybe 100,000? The reason is simple, you app strategy is incorrect. Your free app should have all the functionality of the paid app but should be ad supported. The paid app should be free from ads. So while you try to monetize your app with a small user base, your competition is already making more than you because their user base is about 5 times what yours is. And the worst part, your competition relies on this place for news and story fodder.

It seems to me, that the people running this site are not the most savy when it comes to formulating a decent growth strategy for either the app or the site.

For me, I am not going to pay $2 for an app and then be served ads that you are being paid for on a CPM basis. I'll just use my mobile browser and have less intrusive ads. $2 is nothing, but it is the principal behind it. 16 pages in this thread alone should be enough to open your eyes to this.

I love this site and want to support it, but let's be honest, the way you monetize the site isn't really inline with what most other sites are doing, or have ever done even going back to the BBS days. Pay to post pictures and links? Come on, we are the community and the ones that generate traffic for the site and therefore ad revenue for you. Wouldn't you rather have all of us posting crap all day long and increasing traffic/page views rather than a small percentage of the community? Think about it, those gif threads alone would open up so many more page views than the current set up. The revenue potential would be increased significantly. And I am pretty confident in saying that you would earn more on ad revenue with a free platform over what you are currently making in membership fees. I get it, you have a bottom line and someone to report to that probably only looks at ROI. Fine, that is the world many of us live in. In times like those, you need to advocate for the growth and long term health of your product over revenue today.

That's my two cents. I only write this because I want the community to thrive and I want this site to continue to be the leading mma community. sure people are not leaving because of this, but we are also not downloading the app in droves like you need, which would open you up to a lot many impressions. Just imagine 30% of us used the app to view 5 threads a day. What's that math look like?
11/29/12 1:04 PM
Kingtony87

BravoPUA - This was just posted in the iPhone 5 app update thread

Jason -
BravoPUA - 
Jason -

The app in development has the bugs fixed and has been updated to iOS 6 and iPhone 5 support.

We are narrowing down the feature updates to 3 or 4 most important, and then want to get working on those. The reason only 3 or 4 for now is to get it out faster, and then come back and add more functionality later.

I am not sure what response you are looking for. Monetizing profit on a website, company, app, etc, is a strategy decided by the company. I don't really know all whats going on with the ads in the app, as the CTO does 99% of that stuff, but from what I can see, I have only seen ads here and there on occassion and they are not intrusive, so I don't really get the complaints.

Just in my own thoughts, not representing mma.tv. I have other apps that I paid for that have ads in them. I have cable tv I pay for that has ridicilous amounts of ads/commericials. Companies of all sorts are looking for different ways to monetize thier business as consumers are become unresponsive to traditional advertisiting methods. I pay for magazines that have ads in them. I have an Xbox 360 I paid $200 dollars for, a xbox live subscirption I paid $50 a year, and a Madden 2013 game I paid $60 for, and guess what? I get ads in it!!

if you look into it research the " free=ads, paid=no ads" model is evolving and really is a user based perception. Marketing strategies evolve over time as certain techniques become ineffecient, which is why we are starting to see product placement in actually shows as opposed to commercials, because people just fast forward through commercials. Just like people X out of ads without looking at it, or ignore it. I don't really think MMA.tv is some crazy company just trying to screw with people that paid for the app, they are just evolving thier monetizing strategy like most of the media world.

If you are that up in arms about the occasional ad in a $2 app, then I am just not really sure how logical you are approaching your view point. Of course customers are the driving force in any business and we do listen to the concern of customers, but most business don't cater to the negative comments, especially when those are not representaive of the masses, but rather the few loud. People with negative comments are far Louder than those who like the product or don't complain. If you are still unhappy with my explanation, which again is really my opinion on that matter and not a company statement, then please feel free to wait for a response from Kirik, who I will ask to respond to your original thread.

The issue is selling a product, the changing it and making it worse for the customers and better for the sellers. ($ from ads)

All the examples you gave are great- but if all the sudden the DVDs you own or the CDs you own started having adds at the start and in between songs/chapters you wouldn't be happy.

I agree very much with this, my problem has not been the ad's themselves but complete lack of communication with paying customers for what almost two months now, the same exact thing happened with the long awaited release of the andriod app. The lack of communication to a formal query because the answer may not be popular is disrespectful to the customer. That said atleast we got some sort of response albiet in a non official and somewhat insulting way. I greatly enjoy this forum and the leadership here seem like genuinely great guys but no way will I ever spring for a blue name based off of how I've see issues handled here. Phone Post
11/29/12 7:24 PM
BravoPUA

bjws - Just read Jason's reply and thought I'd chime in.

Fact is that for a paid app, there should be no ads. The revenue you are earning from the people that paid $2 for the app means that you are actually earning more off them then you are the free users. You need to figure out the economics and charge what you feel is necessary for the paid app to remove the ads. There is no reason you should have changed the terms for users who bought it before ads existed in it. That's pretty standard stuff.

Have you considered the reason MMA Junkie has up to a 500,000 user base and your app has maybe 100,000? The reason is simple, you app strategy is incorrect. Your free app should have all the functionality of the paid app but should be ad supported. The paid app should be free from ads. So while you try to monetize your app with a small user base, your competition is already making more than you because their user base is about 5 times what yours is. And the worst part, your competition relies on this place for news and story fodder.

It seems to me, that the people running this site are not the most savy when it comes to formulating a decent growth strategy for either the app or the site.

For me, I am not going to pay $2 for an app and then be served ads that you are being paid for on a CPM basis. I'll just use my mobile browser and have less intrusive ads. $2 is nothing, but it is the principal behind it. 16 pages in this thread alone should be enough to open your eyes to this.

I love this site and want to support it, but let's be honest, the way you monetize the site isn't really inline with what most other sites are doing, or have ever done even going back to the BBS days. Pay to post pictures and links? Come on, we are the community and the ones that generate traffic for the site and therefore ad revenue for you. Wouldn't you rather have all of us posting crap all day long and increasing traffic/page views rather than a small percentage of the community? Think about it, those gif threads alone would open up so many more page views than the current set up. The revenue potential would be increased significantly. And I am pretty confident in saying that you would earn more on ad revenue with a free platform over what you are currently making in membership fees. I get it, you have a bottom line and someone to report to that probably only looks at ROI. Fine, that is the world many of us live in. In times like those, you need to advocate for the growth and long term health of your product over revenue today.

That's my two cents. I only write this because I want the community to thrive and I want this site to continue to be the leading mma community. sure people are not leaving because of this, but we are also not downloading the app in droves like you need, which would open you up to a lot many impressions. Just imagine 30% of us used the app to view 5 threads a day. What's that math look like?
BOOM Phone Post
11/29/12 7:25 PM
BravoPUA

Kingtony87 -
BravoPUA - This was just posted in the iPhone 5 app update thread

Jason -
BravoPUA - 
Jason -

I agree very much with this, my problem has not been the ad's themselves but complete lack of communication with paying customers for what almost two months now, the same exact thing happened with the long awaited release of the andriod app. The lack of communication to a formal query because the answer may not be popular is disrespectful to the customer. That said atleast we got some sort of response albiet in a non official and somewhat insulting way. I greatly enjoy this forum and the leadership here seem like genuinely great guys but no way will I ever spring for a blue name based off of how I've see issues handled here. Phone Post
Double BOOM Phone Post
11/29/12 7:30 PM
Brandable
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason - with your madden/gaming comparison.... you do understand those are put there for realism, correct? same reason they use actual players and stadium and plays and ......that was the only reason they were originally included. would look pretty funny playing madden and seeing an ad for fizzy pop orange soda or w/e.

horrible comparison, and its obvious we need to be directing our questions to the CTO. Maybe he has a chance to get on his own forums and respond to paying customers more than once a quarter.

11/30/12 12:54 AM
BravoPUA

TTT Phone Post
11/30/12 1:49 AM
ss_thai
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with many of the previous posters. If you're going to chuck ads in a least give us a reasonable update Phone Post
11/30/12 1:49 AM
ss_thai
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BravoPUA - TTT Phone Post
TTT just for good measure Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.