UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> AAU freestyle judo

10/14/12 5:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judogeek
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone in the LJCI (Louisiana Judo) just posted in our Facebook group that they were considering leaving the USJA and going with the AAU. They also posted a link to the AAU's freestyle judo web page. I dis not know such a thing existed anymore. I believed that this was a thing of the past but i liked what i saw. The rules stuck to the spirit of judo but were much easier to work with. Anyone here have insight to offer? Phone Post
10/14/12 5:26 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freestyle Judo is a grappling tournament format that Steve Scott developed a few years ago.  The rules are different than IJF rules in several ways.  He has been trying to build up support for it, and one of the avenues is through the AAU.

There is no need to leave the USJA, USJF, or USA Judo to compete in the tournaments. As far as I know, they have not started their own association, and are not giving rank in Freestyle Judo.

I don't see it gaining a whole lot of popularity.  The gi sports, judo and bjj already have well established tournament circuits, and the coaches at nearly all the established judo and bjj schools will focus on those tournaments.  Meanwhile, it is more than likely a little late to get much crossover from the no-gi crowd as NAGA and a bunch of other organizations have gained credibility with that crowd.

I think it is a good idea, and I am always in favor of trying to widen the appeal of judo.  But without IJF support for this type of format, I don't see it gaining a large footprint in the judo world.

10/14/12 10:18 PM
judoblackbelt
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see a local club in the Grand Blanc area of Michigan is advertizing their upcomming tournament. Part of the rules it added are kneebars, toe holds and straight ankle locks. I went to their webpage and do not recognize any of the Sensei's. The freestyle judo website looks like well thought out rules similar to judo. I don't think I will attend the event to check it out.
11/15/12 11:09 PM
Trichoke7
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve Scott's movement is wonderful.

Freestyle judo blows IJF judo out of the water. Not in terms of more participants obviously, but it's just a better kind of judo.
11/16/12 6:10 AM
judoblackbelt
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the feed back I got from the first tournament it was more like a BJJ tournament than a judo tournament.
1/25/13 12:52 AM
Ronin_jutsuka
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tatakai Fightwear, President
judoblackbelt - From the feed back I got from the first tournament it was more like a BJJ tournament than a judo tournament.
As a competitor in judo, freestyle judo and BJJ, I can agree and disagree with that. While time spent in newaza is much more than in a traditional competition, but when progression stalls the referee will stand the players back up. There are penalties for pulling guard too. To me it is a good mix of both sports that I love to compete in. The best part is that it still retains the ability to receive an Ippon from a throw while giving the players time to show their ground skills. Phone Post
1/25/13 9:37 AM
Trichoke7
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd definitely like to compete in one. 

1/26/13 10:40 AM
Ronin_jutsuka
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trichoke7 -

I'd definitely like to compete in one. 

I just heard that AAU Freestyle Judo Nationals will be Easter weekend in Kearney, MO. Phone Post
1/26/13 2:04 PM
Trichoke7

Edited: 01/26/13 2:32 PM

If I don't have the money to do BJJ Pan's I might do that instead since I could drive there, or take the train. 

Sucks they are doing it the same time as Pan's though. 

1/26/13 4:37 PM
Ronin_jutsuka

Let me confirm the date. There was talk about swapping nationals to Wisconsin and having grand-nationals in Kearney each year. I am an asshole, because I just saw Steve Scott today and didn't confirm the date/place. Phone Post
1/26/13 5:18 PM
Trichoke7

Just checked the website and the judo tourney is the weekend after the Pan's. 

I dount my woman would let me go out of town two weekends in a row anyway, so I'll probably have to pick one or the other. lol

1/28/13 1:30 PM
27CrazyFeet
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im in NEPA and if anyone is interested in it please let me know.. if we can meet up i can do clinic.. or certify refs or anything else that will help you get it going.

ill always love ijf judo just because...

but freestyle judo is a better overall set of rules.. perfect no.. but it is very nice
1/29/13 7:54 PM
judoblackbelt

I mentioned the first tournament was more like a BJJ tournamnet because most of the players had BJJ backgrounds. One judo player I know entered and took 2nd. He was the lighest and fought much heavier guys so he was fighting mostly from bottom guard.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.