UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Maldonado had agreement, will NOT be cut

10/14/12 8:45 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The UFC isn't f@$%!#& baseball, but it is usually three strikes and you are out.

Fabio Maldonado went into Saturday night's fght vs. the terrifying Glover Teixeira on a two-fight losing streak, to Igor Pokrajac and Kyle Kingsbury. However, both losses were split decisions, that many felt should have gone the other way. One of them won Fight of the Night, and the other was a FOTY contender.

Despite his precarious perch, Maldonado offered to step up vs. Teixeira on short notice when others including Rashad Evans declined.

Tatame reporter Guilherme Cruz reported before the fight, via Twitter, that there was a prior agreement that he would not be cut.

Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz
Maldonado accepted the fight w/ the condition that he doesn't gets cut even w/ a 5-sec loss

However DaMarques Johnson thought he would get one more fight when he stepped up on seven days notice vs. Gunnar Nelson at UFC on FUEL TV 5 late last month.

"Well, nothing's 100%, but yah, they said they'll definitely give me a shot with a full training camp," said Johnson in a pre-fight interview. "So I'm basically assured one more after this. But, you know, nothing's for sure."

Nothing was for sure, for sure, as last week Johnson was cut. The cut however was due to missing weight, and not for the first time, rather than a simple loss.

Last night Maldonado landed 14 strikes on Teixeira in two rounds according to FightMetric, but he took 117, many of which landed with an audible thud tnot unfamilar in a baseball game. When the doctor stopped it after the second round despite Maldonado's wishes to continue, fans were unanimous that Maldonado must not be cut. Teixeira called his opponent's resilience "not human."

The only time Teixeira stopped landing brutal blows was when he took a break to itch his nose.

But this time, Maldonado is safe.

"If we cut that guy, we deserve to be beat with a stick," UFC President Dana White said at Saturday night's post-UFC 153 press conference. "He won't be cut."

Who do you want to see Maldonado fight next?

10/14/12 8:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zuffa should just pay him to never fight again... nobody should ever fight after taking that much punishment.  It looked like it was gonna be the first death in thee octogan if the ref didnt stop it.

10/14/12 8:55 AM
bearockbrobama
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

zuffa should just pay him to never fight again... nobody should ever fight after taking that much punishment.  It looked like it was gonna be the first death in thee octogan if the ref didnt stop it.

Youre the definition of a keyboard warrior
10/14/12 8:56 AM
dawley
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bearockbrobama -
MMALOGIC - 

Youre the definition of a keyboard warrior
The first living death of octagon!

I say he deserves Atleast two more. Just my opinion Phone Post
10/14/12 9:00 AM
Bispingoed by UGCTT_Benwahwah
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It must be difficult to walk around with nuts as big as Maldanado's.  

10/14/12 9:05 AM
Bispingoed by UGCTT_Benwahwah
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glover is just on another level.  I don't think his decision losses were "robberies", but I thought both leaned to Maldanado's favor.  I like the guy, but he just starts so damn slow in most of his fights and then gains steam.  A little frustrating as a fan.  I was pretty concerned that GloTex starts fast and he starts slow..and well, what happened, happened.    

10/14/12 9:22 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Please Maldonado drop down to 185.
10/14/12 11:34 AM
WALLSTREET_WRESTLER

damn i hope he wont be cut

the boyy has enough cuts on his face

all that for another 10k fight hahahahahaaha
10/14/12 11:59 AM
Tardiolli

Hope he got a nice paycheck in the locker room for all the heart he showed, it was the Brain Damage of the Night for sure.
10/14/12 5:09 PM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaMarques was cut because he failed to make weight.

Fabio made weight, and gave it his best. He won't be cut.

10/14/12 5:18 PM
Sgt 606
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maldanaldo made a huge fan out of me. Heart like that isn't found everyday. That kind of blood and guts performance deserves to be rewarded. How many men, in this world, can take that amount of punishment and keep on fighting for the win. .5%? .1%? They only other guys that come to mind are Chris leban and cabbage. Who else? Phone Post
10/14/12 5:47 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maldonado made a fan out of me a couple fights ago. Even in his losses they were close, controversial decisions that could've (should've?) gone the other way. Taking the fight last night was doing the UFC a favor and he delivered the best he could.

The dude has good skills, he always comes to fight hard, is almost always competitive, and his fights are always entertaining. I will always watch him fight.

They should give him an easier fight next time to give him a chance to build a winning streak again.
10/14/12 5:48 PM
UGCTT_Winnson

He gets to do it again. Lucky him.

Scrambled eggs not necessarily the best eggs to have between your ears later in life.

Just saying.
10/14/12 5:52 PM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys like Fabio are keepers in the ufc. He's got a warrior spirit and comes to fight every single time. Phone Post
10/14/12 6:04 PM
Spinelock
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ "brain damage of the night"
10/14/12 6:11 PM
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too tough for his own good.. he has to have forgotten a few years of his life after that one.
10/14/12 9:22 PM
Sgt 606
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Winnson - He gets to do it again. Lucky him.

Scrambled eggs not necessarily the best eggs to have between your ears later in life.

Just saying.
You sound like a Sally. I bet you bubble wrap your kids. Phone Post
10/14/12 10:46 PM
CCM
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fact that he showed that much heart and never quit attitude KNOWING he wouldn't be cut if he lost makes it that much more impressive.
10/14/12 11:06 PM
N9K
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/14/12 11:06 PM
I'd like to see him at 185. His heart and chin are incredible. When he landed that one shot WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
10/14/12 11:08 PM
RKing85
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when Maldonado losses his next fight, he will be cut then.
10/15/12 12:45 AM
SHOGUN250
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to see him at 185. Definitely a fan.
10/15/12 12:57 AM
UGCTT_Winnson

Sgt 606 - 
UGCTT_Winnson - He gets to do it again. Lucky him.

Just saying.
You sound like a Sally. I bet you bubble wrap your kids. Phone Post

I bet I could kick the living shit out of you without thinking about it twice.

I bet if I thought about it twice, I couldn't remember it both times, even though it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Will Maldonado be able to say that soon?
10/15/12 12:58 AM
UGCTT_Winnson

Eggs!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.