UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fitch: UFC 153 money gives me a lot of comfort

10/14/12 1:36 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"If this fight doesn't go the way I need it to, I'm kind of at a loss of what to do next," said Jon Fitch ahead of his UFC 153 fight Saturday night with Erick Silva. "Losing fights is not paying the bills. It is not really an option for me to go out there and not perform well or not put on a good show. I'm really looking for the 'Fight of the Night' bonus. That is something which is really going to put some distance between me and financial problems.

"Fans are going to see a man who is highly motivated," Fitch continued. "A man who is driven to perform well. They are going to see a man who has to perform well, not just for himself, but for his family and career."

Nostrafitchamus predicted accurately. Saturday night he gave both a winning and a crowd-winning performance, something that has often eluded him during a remarkable career.

In a recent interview, Fitch lamented that money was drying up in MMA, both because he had not seen a win bonus in over two years, and because sponsor and appearance money was in short supply.

Saturday night it rained, with Fitch earning whatever sponsorship money his management could find in this economy, plus his show money, plus his win money, plus a potential locker room bonus, plus a $70,000 Fight of the Night performance bonus.

"It gives me a lot of comfort," Fitch said. "It gives me a lot of space to not have to worry about money. I can just focus on training and doing what I love.

"It was just huge. I needed to step up and I needed have confidence in myself and my game and just go for it, and know that even if I made a mistake or got put in a bad position, I would still come out on top."

Fitch must have found further comfort in the words of UFC President Dana White.

"This all stems from the whole video game stuff that happened a long time ago," said White, referring to Fitch's brief release from the UFC in late 2008 over likeness rights. "You've never heard me say anything negative about Fitch or diss Fitch in any way.

"People complain about Jon Fitch laying on people. This is mixed martial arts. Your job is to keep them from doing it, and tonight, Erick Silva did that. Fitch was grinding him against the fence the way that he does, and Silva got out and countered, and it was a back and forth fight. Both guys looked awesome."

10/14/12 1:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As critical as we have been everyone should be very happy for and impressed with Fitch. Phone Post
10/14/12 2:14 PM
Chomas
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitch was really impressive last night - from his offense to the way he got out of the choke, it was a nice showcase of his talents.

10/14/12 2:15 PM
Biggy
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"It was just huge. I needed to step up and I needed have confidence in myself and my game and just go for it, and know that even if I made a mistake or got put in a bad position, I would still come out on top."

This right here says it all. With the level of competition he's fought he should be confident enough to know he can escape most bad positions. now he'll be more inclined to take risks with less fear of it costing him.

the UFC giving him that bonus served as excellent positive reinforcement. Phone Post
10/14/12 2:20 PM
KaBrooney
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR BROKE FITCH!!! Phone Post
10/14/12 2:22 PM
WestCoastMXC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Dana say hes never bashed or said anything negative about Fitch? Love Dana buts hes definitely bashed Fitch multiple times and been extremely harsh. Phone Post
10/14/12 2:25 PM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loved Fitch's performance but hate hearing millionaire's bitch about money.

10/14/12 2:27 PM
the geek
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KaBrooney - WAR BROKE FITCH!!! Phone Post
... Phone Post
10/14/12 2:28 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

Broke Fitch. No can defend. Phone Post
10/14/12 2:29 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/14/12 2:30 PM
Man i hope we always see the Broke Fitch fight style from now on. I don't think silva was expecting that at all from Fitch...he earned this money his time
10/14/12 2:38 PM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rockcod - 
12SixElbow - 

If Jon Fitch was a millionaire, I'm a fucking Jedi Knight.

You switched from past to present tense...

Either way, unless he has bad spending habits his net worth should be in the millions. He makes 200K+ a year.

10/14/12 3:02 PM
MahatmaPetey
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH Phone Post
10/14/12 3:44 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of his BEST performances by far. Congrats Mr. Fitch.
10/14/12 3:51 PM
Jweinberg
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very happy for Fitch.. Awesome fight.  Very inspiring.

10/14/12 3:59 PM
Brian J DSouza

The big question, though, and the reason Fitch has stayed with the UFC and put up with so much, is when does he get a crack at GSP? Does he have to win one, two or three fights? Does he get first crack as a short notice opponent if Condit or the next challenger gets hurt?

Everyone was saying Erick Silva would KILL Fitch, but its clear he was healthy and motivated, and he has what it takes to challenge GSP.
10/14/12 4:04 PM
Pessimist_Pete

12SixElbow -
Rockcod - 
12SixElbow - 

If Jon Fitch was a millionaire, I'm a fucking Jedi Knight.

You switched from past to present tense...

Either way, unless he has bad spending habits his net worth should be in the millions. He makes 200K+ a year.

200k a year, after taxes is about 130k.

If Fitch saved every single penny for the six years he has been in the UFC (assuming he made 200k a year each year) his net worth would only be 780k. Those people who actually try to save, only save 10 cents on the dollar. That would make his net worth 78k.

I love when people act like 200k a year makes you rich. Phone Post
10/14/12 4:56 PM
rosario00

Lmfao at Fitch being a millionaire Phone Post
10/14/12 4:58 PM
ilovetortillas
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Very happy for Fitch. Always a fan. :) Phone Post
10/14/12 5:01 PM
MattyECB
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like I'm looking too into it, but did anyone else think BLAF kinda took a swipe at Fitch?

I agree with his point on the opponent needing to be able to use TDD, but I think it's unfair how he placed all the excitement on Silva for being able to reverse bottom position. I've loved Fitch since GSP, but he does fight safe, and I absolutely noticed a change in aggressivenes this fight.
10/14/12 5:02 PM
kingbisping

I have a new found respect for Fitch after last night Phone Post
10/14/12 5:14 PM
Chardee Macdennis

Seems like Fitch just found himself...

Motivated Penn

New old old New old old New Vitor

Healthy Shogun

Broke Fitch

Now we have a killer on our hands!
10/14/12 6:25 PM
FitchFan

I have to call shenanigans on DFW. He doesn't outwardly hate on Fitch, but he does a lot of sneaky stuff to try and take him down. For example: Erick Silva had a whole promo video before their fight, and then Fitch got nothing. DFW does what he can to NOT promote Fitch
10/14/12 6:46 PM
MMAxNate
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FitchFan - I have to call shenanigans on DFW. He doesn't outwardly hate on Fitch, but he does a lot of sneaky stuff to try and take him down. For example: Erick Silva had a whole promo video before their fight, and then Fitch got nothing. DFW does what he can to NOT promote Fitch

I think we can all expect that to change.  Everyone loves this 'new' Fitch.  We all want him to stay around, and now for as long as posible.  I, for one, will be looking forward to his next fight.  Sponsors and DFW Jr should all take notice of the response everyone is giving after watching his performance last night.

10/14/12 7:28 PM
nostripewhite

200 K a year can make you rich, if you live off 50 of it and invest the rest wisely.

Fitch did not do this, he has 2 properties and the one he rents is losing $.
10/14/12 7:35 PM
tripleBAK
714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KaBrooney - WAR BROKE FITCH!!! Phone Post
I wanna change my sn to this ! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.