UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Beef jerky

10/14/12 4:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TartanArmy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like to snack on this but it's quite expensive.

Does anyone have any simple recipes to make it at home?

Thanks in advance. Phone Post
10/14/12 5:08 PM
Leigh
839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you have a drier? If not, you can make it in your oven on a low setting. Check Google

I've made biltong at home before, which I prefer. Takes days Phone Post
10/14/12 5:18 PM
TartanArmy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Google is my next port of call. Hoping someone has a simple recipe to share.

I don't have a drier, heard you can use an oven though.

How was your biltong? Was it worth the hassle ie do you do it regularly? Phone Post
10/14/12 11:54 PM
ravenman2000
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take about a cup of soy sauce, a quarter cup of worshtershire sauce, 2-3 tablespoons of sea salt, and a tablespoon of course ground pepper.  Pretty simple, but comes out great.  Slice the meat as thinly as you want, and marinade overnight.  Ready to dry!  Adding a touch of liquid smoke can work, too.

10/15/12 12:41 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

craigslist: food dehydrator - $ profit $

10/15/12 2:51 AM
Leigh
839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Biltong was OK, not as good as the shops. I had a big monitor lizard in my room, so temperature was always high, so not really a hassle, just simple prep with vinegar, brown sugar and coriander then hang for a week Phone Post
10/15/12 12:50 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i bought a dehydrator off amazon. cheap, effective as hell, and making jerky is pretty fun.

I bought a NESCO

i heard Excalibur is the best but its more expensive
11/3/12 10:35 AM
Nic0deemus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use McKormick Grill Master meat marinade packets. Works well for me
11/4/12 6:41 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a NESCO dehydrator. It was only $60 on amazon and has 5 drying racks. The more expensive investment was a deli slicer which cost me about $120. However it makes life so much easier. Without it, cutting the meat takes 5x longer, and the slices of varying width cook differently. The slicer speeds up the process greatly and makes all the slices the same width. The slicer also makes good apple, cucumber, potato, etc chips that can be dehydrated.

I played around with the recipe. Ultimately I use some soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, jabernero sauce, sea salt, garlic powder, meat tenderizer, montreal seasoning, red pepper powder, and chipotle powder. I marinate it for 2 days.
11/4/12 7:22 PM
joemasepoos
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just buy biltong ready made from my local butcher . Yum Yum .
11/20/12 12:52 PM
vermonter
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just made some at home for the first time. I used ground beef because it's easier to work with. I didn't use any salt either (although used a little sriracha which has salt in it) and it turned out pretty well.
11/20/12 12:53 PM
Leigh

Ground beef jerky? Wtf? Phone Post
11/20/12 12:59 PM
vermonter

yup. No need to marinate, just mix in whatever you want for flavor, roll it out onto a sheet for desired thickness and cut it up into strips with a butter knife.

Works like a charm and isn't quite as tough as regular jerky either.
11/23/12 5:12 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got a bunch of ground venison in my freezer, gonna try that idea. thanks vermonter
11/24/12 1:37 PM
vermonter

Yeah man. My fee for the idea is a big ol pile of jerky, though.

PS. my last batch was awesome. I made it super thin, so it dried fast and with lots of surface area for flavor. I actually cooked it a bit long too (my T-giving day plans lasted longer than i thought) and thanks to the ground beef it's still perfectly edible.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.