UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> I need advice

10/14/12 6:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im 16. Yesterday I did my first competition in any sport in my life. I competed in the NAGA in Warwick RI, I lost my first match via dec. When my name was called my nerves got to me and i lost all energy when the match started it felt like a dream and my opponent shot in. I locked up a front naked choke but for some reason I couldnt squeeze at all. After that I was on my back the rest of the round. I wasnt able to do anything I trained for I just froze up from all the nervous energy I had. I trained hard for this and physically and skill wise I was prepaired but I just got to nervous. He wasnt strong because I was able to fight off every sub attempt he attacked with and I have always trained with bigger stronger guys at my gym. Any advice on how I can overcome my nerves for my next event? I plan on going to NJ next month and competeing, i want to get all the experience I can so I can overcome my jitters when im old enough to do mma competitions Phone Post
10/14/12 7:17 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

TTT Phone Post
10/22/12 1:00 PM
izzyorion
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just competing and the nerves will go. Nice one for competing at 16, I wish I had started at your age. Phone Post
10/22/12 1:02 PM
izzyorion
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*Just keep competing Phone Post
11/12/12 4:27 PM
brixx139

iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz - Im 16. Yesterday I did my first competition in any sport in my life. I competed in the NAGA in Warwick RI, I lost my first match via dec. When my name was called my nerves got to me and i lost all energy when the match started it felt like a dream and my opponent shot in. I locked up a front naked choke but for some reason I couldnt squeeze at all. After that I was on my back the rest of the round. I wasnt able to do anything I trained for I just froze up from all the nervous energy I had. I trained hard for this and physically and skill wise I was prepaired but I just got to nervous. He wasnt strong because I was able to fight off every sub attempt he attacked with and I have always trained with bigger stronger guys at my gym. Any advice on how I can overcome my nerves for my next event? I plan on going to NJ next month and competeing, i want to get all the experience I can so I can overcome my jitters when im old enough to do mma competitions Phone Post
Exact same thing happened to me in my first comp about a month back but I had the nogi division after my first gi match to make up for it. Basically adrenaline dumped exactly how you described. But like others said, once I got my feet wet the other matches were just fun. Just focus on learning and having fun right now, that mindset will help you out in calming your nerves and hopefully allow you to put into use what youve trained for. But definitely dont get discouraged, the nerves game is something almost everyone deals with at first Phone Post
11/17/12 10:43 PM
CAlfar

i'm in the same boat as you...lost my first competition after locking up a triangle but couldnt finish it 7 months ago and now i'm looking to compete again. I still feel upset almost every day I didnt finish the triangle...but its ok, if you KNOW you are good, and you can preform well when you roll, its all mental, and the more you compete the more you'll get over it..
11/18/12 2:11 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

Thanks everyone! Hearing all of your similar experiences helps with my confidence alot! I am looking into a possible kickboxing match this year Phone Post
11/22/12 12:53 PM
The Wizzle
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My advice? Find an unnaturally smooth and fluid, slightly older, wickedly handsome grappler at ur gym(maybe around 6'1", 165ish) and pick his brain,ha ha...Had the same thing happen to me once or twice, it's not uncommon and is something a lot of folks go through I believe.
11/22/12 10:50 PM
AokiPants
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First tournament I ever entered, I lost both of my matches after freezing up due to a huge adrenaline dump. My friends and family all came to watch, and I got completely dominated. I knew I was better than both the guys I competed against, and it killed me every day thinking about how I lost to them.

I immediately wanted to compete again to redeem myself. About a month later, I entered a tournament in which nobody was watching me except my coach. I won gold in both my weight and absolute, and ironically beat both of the same guys I had lost to earlier. Realizing that I could perform well without pressure helped me begin to perform well under pressure when friends and family were watching.

When it comes down to it, experience is the best way to prevent nerves from building up. I've entered about ten competitions now and I still get nervous before, but each time I'm less and less nervous, and it helps to think about how nervous the other guy is. Also, rolling before your first match or do some form of exercise to get your heart rate up is a great warm up.

Good luck! Phone Post
11/24/12 1:40 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

AokiPants - First tournament I ever entered, I lost both of my matches after freezing up due to a huge adrenaline dump. My friends and family all came to watch, and I got completely dominated. I knew I was better than both the guys I competed against, and it killed me every day thinking about how I lost to them.

I immediately wanted to compete again to redeem myself. About a month later, I entered a tournament in which nobody was watching me except my coach. I won gold in both my weight and absolute, and ironically beat both of the same guys I had lost to earlier. Realizing that I could perform well without pressure helped me begin to perform well under pressure when friends and family were watching.

When it comes down to it, experience is the best way to prevent nerves from building up. I've entered about ten competitions now and I still get nervous before, but each time I'm less and less nervous, and it helps to think about how nervous the other guy is. Also, rolling before your first match or do some form of exercise to get your heart rate up is a great warm up.

Good luck! Phone Post
Thank you! Im hoping to get another competition within the next few months! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.