UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> So how long was Batman active in the Nolan films?

10/17/12 8:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CharlesLewis
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most overrated movies ever.

10/18/12 1:25 AM
Amado
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The length of time between BB and TDK was 6 months. He retired for 8 years and then however many months he was Batman during TDKR

10/18/12 3:37 AM
MadDog243
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amado - 

The length of time between BB and TDK was 6 months. He retired for 8 years and then however many months he was Batman during TDKR

This is not true.

The guy that mentioned gotham knight is correct. The wiki is not. Gotham Knight is (and was always meant to be) considered "what batman was up to" between begins and dk. All of it is not just consistent with the "nolanverse" but a few outright mention events from begins.

I always thought and felt it was made clear by the progression of events: the small timers getting nervous just seeing the bat signal, Bruce feeling it time to augment his suit (this HAS to tell us he has been cleaning up or at least trying to for a little while), a clearly involved and escalating turf/block war between the cops and mob, and batman and gordon in the middle of it all working together in a manner which suggest a fairly considerable amount of familiarity with the methods of the other. Obviously Gordon cant truly predict bats (IE the "he is in control" interrogation line) but that has been true in all batman stories. Anyway I think it HAS to be at minimum about 1.5 yr and could be as high as three to four between end of batman begins and DK.

And regarding the joker teaser from the end of begins, obviously that was put there for narrative purposes but in addition nothing about that scene suggests the Joker had moved up from the less extravagant crimes, in fact Bat's "He can wait" dialogue with Gordon in the vault establishes that before the bank robbery and reign of terror on Gotham, Batman thought Joker was VERY small time. No reason he couldnt have just been knocking over liquor stores for a while, even years before he put together the bank job.

BTW I have been a massive batman fan for almost 30 years now. I also dont get too hung up on "canon" considering for me Dark Knight Returns and Year One are the ultimate source materials for bats, but DKR isnt even considered continuity. For me it is way more continuity than some of the other goofy shit.
10/18/12 3:50 AM
MadDog243
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/12 3:52 AM
Oh and never mind that quite a bit of time passes between when Bruce first starts fighting injustice and the end of begins as well. A very conservative estimate has to add another 6-8 months to the "Total Time as Batman"-meter

But yes comparatively it isnt a long time. At most he spent 4-5 years as Batman, however this works for me within the Nolanverse. His "realistic" batman universe lends itself to someone only being able to do it for a few years. In the comics the same dude is ruining shop for decades on end, but a persons body simply cannot sustain that. I was very happy to see that Rises went to great lengths to show the mental and physical toll Bruce paid for his comparatively short stint as the caped crusader.
10/18/12 4:33 AM
MarkRobinson
1427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where are you getting the info that Gotham Knight is supposed part of the nolan film continuity? 

Didnt Gotham Knight have Killer Croc in it? surely that cant be part of the nolan universe. 

10/18/12 5:14 AM
MrAmericanJiuJitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson -

Where are you getting the info that Gotham Knight is supposed part of the nolan film continuity? 

Didnt Gotham Knight have Killer Croc in it? surely that cant be part of the nolan universe. 

It was promoted as what Bruce did in-between BB and TDK. I remember buying it. But remember, the whole "Nolanverse" didnt exist yet. In retrospect BB begins sets an awesome tone for the realistic mood that Nolan strives for, but it definitely didn't give off "ultra realistic Batman" when it came out. Dark Knight established the nolanverse, not BB Phone Post
10/18/12 11:43 AM
MadDog243

MarkRobinson - 

Did I not just fucking say? The EPISODES themselves referencing events in begins, not to mention ALL promotional material at the time of release outright SAYING that is what it was, just like the animatrix was supposed to bridge the first matrix and reloaded.

As for Killer Croc, maybe you havent seen Rises....

"They asked if I had seen any giant alligators"

Killer Croc in his comic form obviously doesnt work in the Nolan verse. However there are versions of him that would work fine, most notable the one fram Azzarello's "Joker" (Which was also the visual inspiration for Ledger's Joker) where he is just a huge dude with fucked up skin.

http://www.comicbooktherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Killercroc.png
10/18/12 12:54 PM
JudOWNED
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Azzarello's "Joker""

This ever been posted on the GG?
10/18/12 1:54 PM
Kona Silat
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - What is his alibi? They could easily spin it that the murders happened while Joker was on the loose. In fact I think they did. Fudge the times a little on the official report, no problem.

You forget that he had henchmen that can support his alibi and I doubt they want to lay another lie over another lie.
10/18/12 2:40 PM
BigWilliam
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/12 2:42 PM
First, noone will believe his henchmen either. They are mentally unstable criminals.

Second, they probably wouldn't be too sure about Joker doing things they were not aware of.
10/18/12 8:48 PM
MadDog243

I think batman would have a problem with pinning the murders on anyone other than himself.

It really is not a plot hole at all, it is people looking to make themselves appear to be clever.
10/18/12 8:49 PM
MadDog243

The bottom line is the lie they created with simply easier because the only two elements in the equation are gordon and bats. Dent is dead, and no one else was around to see all this shit go down.

Trying to create an involved lie on a variable you cant control to begin with would have brought unneeded attention to what they were doing, and probably wouldve prevented the dent act from ever happening
10/21/12 1:55 AM
Amado
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look it up in iMBD dude. I'm not going to get into an argument over something so trivial.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.