UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bonnar: Knee temporarily 'paralyzed me'

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/14/12 11:12 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1408 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Well, not only does he paralyze his opponents with fear before they ever step inside the cage with him, he actually paralyzes them once they do.

That's the word from his UFC 153 victim, Stephan Bonnar, at least, who revealed on his Twitter account following his crushing defeat the details of the first round finish at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, last night (Oct. 13, 2012):

"Thanks to everyone for the support, I'm so sorry I lost. I feel so bad for letting my fans down, but I promise to make it up to you. ... Not injured, just caught with a perfect knee to the solar plexus and it paralyzed me, was just getting movement back when fight was stopped."

read entire article...

10/14/12 11:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like he isn't going to let it drag him down. What's next for Bonnar?
10/14/12 11:24 PM
Mr Spliff

Thought he was gonna have a pneumothorax Phone Post
10/14/12 11:32 PM
MMAxNate
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr Spliff -  Thought he was gonna have a pneumothorax Phone Post

vu for knowing a word I've never even heard of and using it accurately.

that knee would have dropped ANYONE.  Bonnar has nothing to be ashamed of.

10/14/12 11:33 PM
Fudge Cake
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if that knee could screw up his heart beat for a few seconds...kind of like the opposite of resuscitating someone.
10/14/12 11:39 PM
Reggie Warren Jr
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reggie Warren Jr, The Man

Hate to admit this, but ive had something very similar happen with a punch. Your body completely shuts down and almost goes in to shock. The worst time for it to happen is when you are throwing your own punch and it sneaks in. An 8 oz boxing glove came across my sternum by a guy that punches like Paquiao and it was bruised for over 2 weeks. 

People around me thought I was acting when I hit the deck. And i let them believe that afterwards, but seeing Stephan respond like that, I knew exactly what he was going through. It can happen to the best of us.

10/14/12 11:39 PM
bhealthy

holy shit this GOAT!!!!
10/14/12 11:40 PM
Festus
533 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bonnar confirms he was recovering. Fight WAS stopped too early! Phone Post
10/14/12 11:41 PM
hmb

I heard about this happening to a kid in little league. He was pitching and the batter hit it back into his chest. He was paralyzed and his heart stopped beating. He died. Cray shit..
10/14/12 11:44 PM
bhealthy

^^^^MY GOD THIS ANDERSON!!!!!

GOAT
10/14/12 11:48 PM
Reggie Warren Jr
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reggie Warren Jr, The Man

If you get hit hard enough at the wrong time, you will think that you're dying and need an ambulance. Trust me.

10/14/12 11:59 PM
stillmatic
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr Spliff -  Thought he was gonna have a pneumothorax Phone Post

Had one before, but a non traumatic one.

10/15/12 12:05 AM
Fedors Jim Jams
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one time i punched a guy in his heart, he went down and start twitching for a few seconds. i mocked him like tank abbot. fun times. i hated him. still do.
10/15/12 12:12 AM
UGCTT_Gaspare

Bonnar vs Forrest

Coach TUF, retirement fights Phone Post
10/15/12 12:21 AM
CHILLITACO
702 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hmb - I heard about this happening to a kid in little league. He was pitching and the batter hit it back into his chest. He was paralyzed and his heart stopped beating. He died. Cray shit..
Yup can definitely happen.
Although I think for that it cracks or breaks ribs etc....

Good on Bonnar for not letting it get to him. No shame in this loss. Like someone said in another post, it shows how tough Damian was! Phone Post
10/15/12 1:17 AM
BravoPUA
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
10/15/12 1:23 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
591 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - Sounds like he isn't going to let it drag him down. What's next for Bonnar?
I assumed it was a retirement fight. I think unless he somehow got a similar opportunity to his last one he will retire unless he gets one last bout with Forest Phone Post
10/15/12 1:24 AM
Anderson P Sonnen
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At first glance last night, I thought it was to the jaw, the way Bonnar fell and all. Then saw the actual spot of impact. Crazy leg power.... Phone Post
10/15/12 1:34 AM
Allucard

KingofBJJ - 
CHILLITACO - 
hmb - I heard about this happening to a kid in little league. He was pitching and the batter hit it back into his chest. He was paralyzed and his heart stopped beating. He died. Cray shit..

Good on Bonnar for not letting it get to him. No shame in this loss. Like someone said in another post, it shows how tough Damian was! Phone Post

No shame. He was humiliated.

No he didn't. No shame in losing to AS. In fact, it can be seen as kind of an honor. That will make for quite a story to tell his grandsons, he lost to the greatest of all time.
10/15/12 1:35 AM
Allucard

Anderson P Sonnen -  At first glance last night, I thought it was to the jaw, the way Bonnar fell and all. Then saw the actual spot of impact. Crazy leg power.... Phone Post

Crazier precision.. How accurate do you have to be to hit the body with those? And the sets them up in a way it's perfect for MMA.
10/15/12 1:39 AM
XFactah416
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That knee was so quick, so accurate, so powerful, and so vicious that it was going to paralyze anybody that got caught with that strike.

Bonnar was getting toyed with but he was winning Round 1 before Anderson decided enough of this shit and promptly ended it. Phone Post
10/15/12 1:54 AM
SJCOTTON
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U guys haven't heard of the heartbeat stopping knee? We use it all the time in super awesome ninja school Phone Post
10/15/12 3:39 AM
MMAxNate
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - 
CHILLITACO - 

No shame. He was humiliated.

May you never be remembered.

10/15/12 9:26 AM
tiger07
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's funny, 'cos this year I had two cracked ribs in a boxing bout, but managed to finish the fight for two and a half more rounds. Yet about five years ago, I was hit in the liver so badly that I couldn;t move for what felt like hours. No injury or lasting effects, yet the cracked ribs took two months to come good. Moral? I'd take the two cracked ribs over the liver shot anyday! I'm guessing Bonnar's hit to the plexus was the same.
10/15/12 10:46 AM
McBottery

That knee would have permanently killed me.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.