UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> no C drive

10/14/12 11:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kao
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok today my computer just shutdown. i removed the c drive and tried to USB it, nothing. i went online and they said to put it in a freezer for a bit and try again, nothing.

i can hear it spin but when connected to USB nothing, i tried different computers and nothing.

what's next? give it to a specialized company that deals with this everyday? i heard they are expensive to retrieve data.

anything else i can try?
11/13/12 12:21 PM
NotsoMightySkull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have done the above and it seems like your hard drive is spinning correctly and is not making a lot of noise (swing arm hitting platter)the issue could be the controller board on the hard drive. That is the circuit board on the bottom.

The only way I have gotten around that is to replace that controller board with another from a hard drive of the exact same model. My company orders a lot of the same model of computer so we had a spare laying around. We were pretty sure it would not work, but it did.

That is probably what the company you end up sending it to will try first.

And yes it is expensive. If it is just your personal data and not something business related you could try to find a smaller shop or someplace on the internet that does it cheaply.

The place we send it is a big corp and they are good but expensive.
http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

12/1/12 2:59 PM
kao
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks, didn't think about another controller circuit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.