UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Heavy Sandbag Carries

10/15/12 11:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BazUK
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Talking 170lbs or more.

How do you guys rate them for conditioning, strength building, and size building?

How would you build a pprogram, or ad as a finisher?

Baz
10/17/12 2:22 AM
BazUK
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone with any experience comment?

Baz
10/17/12 2:35 AM
Leigh
904 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggy has a program or two that can be done with sand bags. Check it out Phone Post
10/17/12 12:24 PM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i never got close to 170, but I did almost exclusively sandbag carries for almost a year (outside of going to the gym 2x a week; for the first couple months I was trying to learn to box, but then it was all judo).

I was approaching it from more of a conditioning angle, so I started light (50 lbs) and usually carried it for about 2 miles. I would switch between carrying it slung over each shoulder and a bear-hug grip; each time I would switch grip, I would powerclean it into position. I started with just straight carrying it, but eventually started to intersperse sets of squats and overhead presses into the middle of the walks.

I build up to a 100-lb sandbag over the year, I would keep the weight constant for a month or two then dump another 10-15 lbs in.

Even with the lighter weight, it was awesome. my resting heartrate decreased, my endurance on the mat improved, and my core strength was phenomenal; i felt like an alligator on the mat (all core muscle). I have always loved bridging escapes/sweeps, and the power I could put into these got a lot better. It did good things for my side control, too.

I started at a flabby 170 (with a noticeable gut), and by the end of the year I was a lean 175. For a very simple exercise program, it was very effective.

I stopped it because I was getting injured taking falls in judo (most of the people in my club were 200+ and many were new) in favor of more stretching, then stopped doing judo in favor of going back to no-gi/wrestling and never really came back to it.

I lost a fair bit of max effort strength, though (even by the end of the year I was never lifting anything heavier than 100 lbs). If you stick with really heavy bags I think you would gain a huge amount of power, but the conditioning gains won't be very significant.

The msot valuable thing about it to me was just that it was really enjoyable to me, so I was very consistent with it.
10/17/12 12:24 PM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i never got close to 170, but I did almost exclusively sandbag carries for almost a year (outside of going to the gym 2x a week; for the first couple months I was trying to learn to box, but then it was all judo).

I was approaching it from more of a conditioning angle, so I started light (50 lbs) and usually carried it for about 2 miles. I would switch between carrying it slung over each shoulder and a bear-hug grip; each time I would switch grip, I would powerclean it into position. I started with just straight carrying it, but eventually started to intersperse sets of squats and overhead presses into the middle of the walks.

I build up to a 100-lb sandbag over the year, I would keep the weight constant for a month or two then dump another 10-15 lbs in.

Even with the lighter weight, it was awesome. my resting heartrate decreased, my endurance on the mat improved, and my core strength was phenomenal; i felt like an alligator on the mat (all core muscle). I have always loved bridging escapes/sweeps, and the power I could put into these got a lot better. It did good things for my side control, too.

I started at a flabby 170 (with a noticeable gut), and by the end of the year I was a lean 175. For a very simple exercise program, it was very effective.

I stopped it because I was getting injured taking falls in judo (most of the people in my club were 200+ and many were new) in favor of more stretching, then stopped doing judo in favor of going back to no-gi/wrestling and never really came back to it.

I lost a fair bit of max effort strength, though (even by the end of the year I was never lifting anything heavier than 100 lbs). If you stick with really heavy bags I think you would gain a huge amount of power, but the conditioning gains won't be very significant.

The msot valuable thing about it to me was just that it was really enjoyable to me, so I was very consistent with it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.