UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Attn: Stick -- films and such

10/15/12 4:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/15/12 4:40 PM

I saw flying Swords of Dragon Gate (I'm such a sucker for Tsui Hark...and Jet Li).

It was...fine.  My expectations were probably too high and there was a bit too much cgi for my tastes.

And.....He's back!

10/15/12 11:52 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/16/12 10:54 AM
Stickgrappler
1568 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh dayum! i dk'd that Jackie has new one coming out

been out of the loop past month or so

Maybe i hyped Swords of Dragon Gate too much to you. I was entertained, I liked it, but i don't think i posted that I loved it

what did cross my mind was how much better Tsui Hark worked with CGI this time around...iirc, his first cgi movie was the Legend of Zu with Louis Koo and Cecilia Cheung and a whole bunch of other actors. there were stretches of cgi that was so lifeless... there was like ambient music in the background and minutes at a stretch where i had the feeling Tsui Hark was thinking "Oh cool, see what I could do with CGI? i love it" but it was lifeless... so to watch Swords of the Dragon Gate was a vast improvement in viewing satisfaction for me.

Tsui dir'd Andy Lau in Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame IIRC. that was good use of cgi also. i was entertained also. iirc, you loved that one?

anyway, thx for the Jackie Chan heads-up
10/16/12 10:55 AM
Stickgrappler
1568 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ugh, you can only vote up once in 24 hours? ugh, i voted Kneeblock in the jkd forum. get you tomorrow.
10/16/12 11:20 AM
paw
1417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - oh dayum! i dk'd that Jackie has new one coming out

been out of the loop past month or so

Maybe i hyped Swords of Dragon Gate too much to you. I was entertained, I liked it, but i don't think i posted that I loved it

what did cross my mind was how much better Tsui Hark worked with CGI this time around...iirc, his first cgi movie was the Legend of Zu with Louis Koo and Cecilia Cheung and a whole bunch of other actors. there were stretches of cgi that was so lifeless... there was like ambient music in the background and minutes at a stretch where i had the feeling Tsui Hark was thinking "Oh cool, see what I could do with CGI? i love it" but it was lifeless... so to watch Swords of the Dragon Gate was a vast improvement in viewing satisfaction for me.

Tsui dir'd Andy Lau in Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame IIRC. that was good use of cgi also. i was entertained also. iirc, you loved that one?

anyway, thx for the Jackie Chan heads-up

Fair point about Hark and CGI.  Dragon Gate was better than Legend of Zu in the use of CGI.  I think my biggest complaint was the use of CGI in some of the fight scenes which made the movements seem a little too smooth.

I really liked Detective Dee, more than I liked Dragon Gate, if I'm honest.  (Geez...does this mean I'm a bigger fan of Lau than I am of Li?)

Anyhoo, next on my list is Johnnie To's "Life Without Principle" 

10/16/12 12:21 PM
Stickgrappler

Been meaning to watch Life Without Principle. lately haven't had time to watch it. If it's a Johnnie To movie, imo, always worth a watch. one of the best directors left working in Hong Kong.

lol -- no, just means you liked Dee over Dragon Gate. Unless you say you loved Andy in A Simple Life, Shaolin, Infernal Affairs, etc then we can chat about you being an Andy fan lol

10/16/12 12:32 PM
Stickgrappler

posted to my site, http://www.stickgrappler.net, about a lesser-known Hong Kong actor, Austin Wai. passed away last week, 55 yrs old. Austin was in SPL aka Killzone and Flashpoint recently. I knew him best from a 1980's TV series called The Adventures of Chor Lau-heung.

Fans of his know him best for early 80's oldschool Shaw Brothers movie Five Superfighters.

Here's a clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCskbSOK_4

Here's the full movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BsqBWvHxfQ

Surprisingly I never saw this movie before. This will be the next movie I watch when i have time (jumped a whole bunch of other movies on my To Watch list lol)

Austin's sister is none other than Kara Hui. She had a cameo fight vs Donnie in Dragon aka Swordsmen. Her breakout movie was early 80's Shaw Brothers movie "My Young Auntie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVeO7WvMAM
10/16/12 12:32 PM
Stickgrappler

RIP Austin Wai
10/22/12 11:17 AM
paw

RIP Austin Wai

Saw "Life Without Principle" this weekend (Netflix streaming).  I loved it!  It was interesting to see the various stories weave together and had one of the happier endings I could recall from a Johnny To film.  And Myolie Wu is gorgeous.  *sigh*

10/22/12 11:25 AM
Stickgrappler

a few yrs ago, she was THE actress... super rottie! mostly tv series. i still haven't watched LWP... will soon. thx for the heads up on Myolie!

haven't kept up with who's hot, who's not. for a spell, Kate Tsui was THE actress after Myolie. she does mostly TV, but was in one of Johnnie To's movies, iirc, her debut and she won Best Newcomer Award or something similarily titled - either Eye in the Sky or Breaking News. always get them confused.

if you saw Donnie Yen's 14 Blades, Kate was the rottie with the veils and the whip and she fought Donnie. was the daughter or god-daughter of Sammo Hung's character.
10/22/12 1:03 PM
paw

Stick, have you seen this?

10/22/12 1:12 PM
Stickgrappler

whoa... has potential... i have not seen it yet

thx for the headsup!
10/25/12 1:32 PM
Stickgrappler

paw,

I got this, but didn't watch yet. Have you seen it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gq2aKjVtQA

Wudang

I will give it a chance given that it stars Vincent Zhao aka Chiu Man Chuk (Once Upon a Time in China 4-5, True Legend, The Blade), Dennis To (wushu champ who played Sammo Hung's student in Ip Man 1 and played Ip Man in The Legend is Born), Louis Fan (was the Northern sifu who came to Fatshan and challenged Ip Man/Donnie, as well as starring in the cult Story of Ricky)

10/25/12 2:05 PM
paw

I haven't seen it...and I would like to! 

How do you get these so quickly?  I have a feeling it's not available from Netflix yet....

10/25/12 2:11 PM
Stickgrappler

live in nyc, there's like 5 if not more chinatowns here bro!
10/25/12 2:20 PM
Stickgrappler

oh yeah, not mentioned on this thread,

THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS

RZA's project and Quentin Tarantino is involved in some capacity, but i think it's mostly RZA

will be watching
10/25/12 2:25 PM
paw

Stickgrappler - live in nyc, there's like 5 if not more chinatowns here bro!

color me jelly.

*pouts*

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.