UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Matt Hughes: Miletich & Cox got me my wins

10/15/12 5:09 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In a lengthy interview with Iowa's Daily Gate CIty, UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes relates that he started MMA as a hobby.

“I wrestled through high school and college and I still wanted to compete somehow when I got done wrestling, so I took this sport up just as a hobby,” said Matt Hughes. “I never thought I’d be real good at it. I never thought I would be a world champion. I definitely never thought that I could support a family with the income from fighting. It was 100 percent hobby. I kept fighting and did well enough to keep going and eventually won the world title.”

On Nov. 2, 2001 at UFC 34 an unconscious Hughes crashed to the matt, knocking out then Champion Carlos Newton, and waking himself up in the process. If he had lost, he would have retired.

“If I would have lost that fight, I would have stepped away and retired,” Hughes said. “I would have went back to the family farm and probably be in the combine right now cutting beans or hauling beans. I won that fight and it kept me in it. It was that defining moment where I thought, ‘I’m done with this hobby,’ but I won the fight and I kept going forward.”

“After you win the world title things change a little bit. You have more security. I was able to defend it a few times after that, so it gave me more and more security in the sport, so that is why I stayed with it.”

And how did he do it?

“I go back to my roots — working on a family farm where my dad had me doing heavy lifting every day. Because of that, I think I was one of the strongest in the weight class and that was because of the family farm,” Hughes said. “The other thing was growing up with a twin brother. I learned to compete young. Mark and I were always competing against each other. I’m a competitor. Even today, I find myself competing against my brother.

“Those two things — the family farm and growing up with a twin brother — made me who I am.”

And how do you follow in his footsteps?

“A lot of young guys ask me, ‘How do you do well in a sport.’ I answer with this and I believe it. Number one, you have to have a good trainer. I had Pat Miletich and Jeremy Horn and a bunch guys at the Miletich camp that helped me out — getting my skills and perfecting my skills inside the cage,” Hughes said. “Number two would be to have a good manager and I had Monte Cox. He is still probably the best manager out there today. He really got me to where I was going to be. He knew everybody in the world, so him getting my matches for me really helped me out.

“Those two people — Pat Miletich and Monte Cox — got me to the world title and got me my wins. Not only did Monte put me there, but Pat’s training helped me win.”

How it feels to lose?

“When somebody asks me about the competition I faced and how good they were, the first thing I think about is the losses that I had,” Hughes said. “I had some losses that were against some good guys. GSP is probably the best all around fighter I ever faced. B.J. Penn in the first round is probably the best fighter. In the first round, B.J. can just about beat anybody. You really have to wear on him to beat him down, but B.J. is a great first round fighter.

“Those two guys are always on top of the list, probably because they beat me and probably because they beat me twice.”

Is he done?

“I’ve not announced my retirement, but right now it looks like I’m fully retired,” Hughes said. “The UFC still treats me well so I can be retired. It’s just funny, when God puts you on a road, you don’t know where you are going. I have all the faith that he put me there, and I have to thank him from that.”

Does he want to step into a commentating role for the UFC?

“A lot of people ask me about commentating, but I just don’t have the gift of gab to fill that air time,” Hughes said. “I don’t want to talk when I don’t have anything to say.

Does he still train?

“I do train a little bit. When B.J. or Robbie Lawler need a little help, I’ll go and help them train. That’s about it. I love to train, but as far as having a gym where you have to live in it, I would rather live with my family. I want to raise my kids more than coaching. I do some stints on coaching, but I’ve got other things I want to do.”

What does he do day to day now?

“I’ve got a hunting show, which I love, on The Outdoor Channel. I’ll stay with the hunting show. I like to travel. I like to hunt, so that suits me well,” Hughes said. “I’m helping my brother with the family farm. Right now, he is in the combine cutting beans. I still am very close to the family farm.

“It’s funny, when I was a kid I couldn’t wait to get off the farm or stop working. Now, I live real close to the farm, and I go to bed at night thinking about what I’m going to do at the farm the next day. I’m not happy until the next morning when my feet hit the ground and I’m going to the farm. I can’t wait to work.”

Read entire article...

10/15/12 5:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Herring In A Fur Coat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read and some great insight from Hughes.

“I’ve not announced my retirement, but right now it looks like I’m fully retired,” Hughes said. “The UFC still treats me well so I can be retired. It’s just funny, when God puts you on a road, you don’t know where you are going. I have all the faith that he put me there, and I have to thank him from that.”

“I do train a little bit. When B.J. or Robbie Lawler need a little help, I’ll go and help them train. That’s about it. I love to train, but as far as having a gym where you have to live in it, I would rather live with my family. I want to raise my kids more than coaching. I do some stints on coaching, but I’ve got other things I want to do.”
10/15/12 5:43 PM
RJJH
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/15/12 5:43 PM

Hughes will always be one of the GOATS.

and 2 steller articles in one day? UG Blog, dont set a standard you cant keep up with! LOL.

10/15/12 5:52 PM
DojoJay
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know, this brings a whole new dimension to the GOAT arguments on other threads... How many greats went out and DID IT the way Pat Miletich did, then went and TAUGHT IT to a bunch who became legends in their own right?

Always a sucker for MFS stuff :D

10/15/12 6:08 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

DojoJay - 

You know, this brings a whole new dimension to the GOAT arguments on other threads... How many greats went out and DID IT the way Pat Miletich did, then went and TAUGHT IT to a bunch who became legends in their own right?

Always a sucker for MFS stuff :D

Yep they ruled the sport for a good minute.
10/15/12 6:14 PM
mikerobmma
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll never understand the hate that some people have for Hughes. I read this article, and he seems like a good person to me. Phone Post
10/15/12 6:18 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

mikerobmma -  I'll never understand the hate that some people have for Hughes. I read this article, and he seems like a good person to me. Phone Post

Completely unfounded IMO.
10/15/12 6:35 PM
Megatherium
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll just betya that if most of these haters were to go visit Matt on the farm early for a country breakfast and then follow him around a plowin' through that beanfield and such all day they'd be leavin' as fans I expect.
10/15/12 6:37 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Megatherium - I'll just betya that if most of these haters were to go visit Matt on the farm early for a country breakfast and then follow him around a plowin' through that beanfield and such all day they'd be leavin' as fans I expect.

As long as they stay away from the one spot behind the barn...
10/15/12 6:45 PM
DojoJay
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The biggest beef I see about Hughes is usually associated with his hunting... Those same people who are complaining will be knocking on his door when the $hit hits the fan one day and the local Trader Joe's shelves are empty...

10/15/12 7:01 PM
Archangel

mikerobmma -  I'll never understand the hate that some people have for Hughes. I read this article, and he seems like a good person to me. Phone Post

Apparently you missed the whole mccorkle book thingy . He, just like every human has a closet full of skeletons and I'm sure at least a few have fallen victim to his path to success. He's still one of my favorite fighters though. I just question his character.
10/15/12 7:09 PM
J_Swift

Good read. Matt Hughes is a stand up American. I think it'd be awesome to work on the farm and go hunting with him. Phone Post
10/15/12 7:36 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Archangel - 

Apparently you missed the whole mccorkle book thingy . He, just like every human has a closet full of skeletons and I'm sure at least a few have fallen victim to his path to success. He's still one of my favorite fighters though. I just question his character.

Just curious, did you read the actual book? Or are you questioning his character based on a humorous/trollish review of a book which you haven't read?
10/15/12 7:44 PM
muppetsbungalowedbeyatch
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herring In A Fur Coat -

Completely unfounded IMO.
This Phone Post
10/15/12 7:45 PM
muppetsbungalowedbeyatch
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DojoJay -

The biggest beef I see about Hughes is usually associated with his hunting... Those same people who are complaining will be knocking on his door when the $hit hits the fan one day and the local Trader Joe's shelves are empty...

Hughes is the guy I want on my side during the zombie apocalypse Phone Post
10/15/12 7:54 PM
DojoJay

^^^ Lol, second that ...

10/15/12 7:56 PM
WestCoastMXC

Thanks for the fights OG. Phone Post
10/15/12 8:09 PM
Archangel

Herring In A Fur Coat - 
Archangel - 

Just curious, did you read the actual book? Or are you questioning his character based on a humorous/trollish review of a book which you haven't read?

You are assuming I question his character based on his book. Which is wrong. I question his character based on what his training partners and teammates have said.. the majority of Hughes dislike on the board could be connected with the review is what I was trying to convey. No need for concern
10/16/12 7:52 AM
Bootsy Collins
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice to hear that kind of praise for coach & manager-especially in a world filled with anti-Jackson/anti-Pavia threads.
(Note I am NOT giving an opinion on the latter)
10/16/12 8:15 AM
Megatherium
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh I'm sure that Matt trusts the folks at Monsanto to never steer a country boy wrong. I expect only the finest Monsanto GMO beans are grown at the Hughes farm.
10/16/12 8:24 AM
FreakDaddy
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am with you.....You never said Matt was perfect, but I think most people are quick to hate on the guy.......I think a lot of guys on here are anti religion and it may make it easier for them to hate on Matt.......They seem to look for anything that is remotely hypocritical in the religious sense (that he does or says)......At least that is what I think.....There are fighters that do much worse stuff than Hughes, but are not nearly as hated.
I am not saying people should be religious…..I just think it is one of the issues folks on here have with him……
10/16/12 8:53 AM
ocdacc
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

war horn Phone Post
10/16/12 12:04 PM
Son of Neckbone
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonder if his brother ever weighed in for him? That'd be extra nice of the ole runt.
10/24/12 7:37 AM
PL Soldier
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Matt Hughes was a GOAT he'd try to shoot and skin himself being the blood-thirsty, gun-toting redneck that he is

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.