UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Maia: I try to not win by points

10/15/12 10:33 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Against Story, though, he looked like the Maia of old. He blitzed through the American, and on the ground, he worked for a textbook rear-naked choke that turned into a neck crank. Maia squeezed so hard, in fact, blood squirted from Story's nose in a GIF lover's instant Hall of Fame moment.

The win also happened to be Maia's second since dropping from middleweight to welterweight, and he perhaps has hit a new stride at 170 pounds.

"I'm very happy to be in this division. I feel much better with this weight," Maia said at the UFC 153 post-fight news conference in Rio de Janeiro. "I try to not win by points or by decision. I try to do it in a different way. This is for the UFC – the UFC gave me everything I have. I'm very happy for the UFC and very thankful for fighting in Brazil."

read entire article...

10/15/12 10:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That combo of pressure and bjj skill will be difficult for anyone to beat. Especially when he's taking guys like DHK and Story down Phone Post
10/15/12 10:42 PM
catgobling
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i will probably always marvel at his skills on the ground. he is a cool guy and im glad the ufc let him fight at home
10/15/12 10:45 PM
BrunoMcGyver
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely a good ambassador for the sport imo.

War Maia!
10/15/12 11:10 PM
Ronin_jutsuka
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tatakai Fightwear, President
Loved seeing him get back to jiu jitsu. Let's be honest, no matter how much Maia trains striking, he will never get his striking to the same level of his BJJ. Phone Post
10/15/12 11:14 PM
MachidasBrew 209TT

This guy... I like this guy!
10/15/12 11:37 PM
KC007

Maia has really nice takedowns against the cage. I love watching his BJJ. He's always looking to advance positions. Phone Post
10/16/12 12:50 AM
ViciousCesar
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Maia. Here's to his continued success at WW.
10/16/12 1:12 AM
ams
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love watching him fight Phone Post
10/16/12 1:31 AM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pfft. Who is this guy? Tries not to win on points or go to decisions? Another just bleed fighter. Doesn't he know that pointfighting is far and away the highest technical skill in the sport? Only fools who have no real skills are constantly trying to finish. This Maia guy must a skill-lacking fighter.
10/16/12 1:32 AM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, that was sarcasm.
10/16/12 1:33 AM
Chiron

Ronin_jutsuka -  Loved seeing him get back to jiu jitsu. Let's be honest, no matter how much Maia trains striking, he will never get his striking to the same level of his BJJ. Phone Post

True, but if he got his striking to the same level as his BJJ he would easily be the best fighter in MMA.
10/16/12 6:40 AM
stonepony

"Doesn't he know that pointfighting is far and away the highest technical skill in the sport?"

Of course nobody has ever actually suggested anything like that. It would be idiotic for them to take that position though, I agree. Just as idiotic as people who think a fighter winning on points is someone who lacks skill/ability. If Nate Diaz can jab your face to mush, and you can't do a thing about it, then he's the better fighter. Would I have rather seen Donald put him down with something brutal? Yes. But, Nate played psychological games and drew him in to boxing match, and beat him. No point crying about it.
10/16/12 6:07 PM
The Nastyness

Sometimes I think you just outright enjoy conflicting with everyone.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.