UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva has no intention of fighting Weidman

10/15/12 10:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

‘I think all athletes in this division will get their opportunity in going for the title. I don't have any intention of fighting with him (Wiedman). I still think he has a lot to do in the UFC. I am in a comfortable position and I am no longer a child, I am 37 years old, he's a kid that is starting.

Obviously, this might happen, but, I have two fights on my contract and I think one of them will be with St. Pierre and I don't really have an intention in fighting with him (Weidman) because I'm not a fool. I'm already an oldie, you know?'

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

10/15/12 10:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
random_perv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wants a two farewell matches. Make him give up the title. Let him fight Diaz then GSP. Then retire like a legend. Phone Post
10/15/12 10:46 PM
HalfThisGameIs90PercentMental
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope we see Anderson fight jones but reading that leads me to believe Anderson might just want to hand pick his last 2 fights and finish on top. :/ hope not. Phone Post
10/15/12 10:47 PM
Anderson P Sonnen
706 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP then jones. Diaz? I wish, but of its 2 farewell fights, then why fight Diaz? If GSP bears Condit, I'd rather see that re-match (Condit/Diaz) Phone Post
10/15/12 10:47 PM
Anderson P Sonnen
706 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beats* Phone Post
10/15/12 10:48 PM
orcus

Let's see if Goku can make thread #5 about his favorite topic.

10/15/12 10:50 PM
StrikingMMA
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson got his title shot in only his second fight in the UFC. He needs to remember the guys coming up want their opportunity also.
10/15/12 10:50 PM
StrikingMMA
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/15/12 10:50 PM
dp
10/15/12 10:51 PM
jpm995
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think if Weidman beats another top contender the ufc could force Silva to fight him or strip him of his title. Silvas been a great champ but he has to beat the best to be the champ.
Rampage11

Diaz??? Really??!! Silva would collect millions for another 1st round TKO! Phone Post
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

No disrespect to Bonnar l, but if he really is done after this contract, I'm really disappointed that one of the fights was wasted on 153. Phone Post
10/15/12 10:53 PM
Delorian
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana will work himself into an early grave in attempt to set up Anderson vs. Bones.  That's a serious fight, more so than Anderson vs. GSP or Anderson vs. Diaz.  

10/15/12 10:57 PM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why the hell is Anderson ducking people? I honestly think he would destroy anyone 205 and below, maybe even any heavyweight. He should stop sounding bad in interviews and just leave the match-making to Dana.
10/15/12 10:58 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

GSP, then Jones. We could see GSP/Silva as early as April 2013. Phone Post
10/15/12 11:03 PM
crazyea
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

easedel - Wait what is it? He wants to fight for 5 more years or 2 or 3 more fights? Doesn't want to fight Weidem, who between him & bisping are the top 2 contenders...

So is he going to vacate the belt or what?
This is my question as well.

2 fights or 5 years?? Phone Post
10/15/12 11:08 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

orcus -

Let's see if Goku can make thread #5 about his favorite topic.

Lol. Just admit it. You r looking foolish at this point. Phone Post
10/15/12 11:17 PM
Driscoll
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StrikingMMA - 
Anderson got his title shot in only his second fight in the UFC. He needs to remember the guys coming up want their opportunity also.

Anderson was a former Shooto world champion and Pride veteran who, despite a few losses, was still an animal.

I'm siding with Anderson on this one. Weidman may be the best in the division and he deserves a shot at the title, but he hasn't done enough to warrant being one of the last two (or so) fights in the career of the GOAT. Those are for big money fangasm matches. You could say that Anderson should give up the title, but I would guess he wants to retire the undefeated champion. After everything he's accomplished, they wouldn't want to take that away from him. I do think Weidman will be champion someday, though.

10/15/12 11:19 PM
chaplinshouse
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/15/12 11:20 PM
Lazer MMA

Well then he should vacate the MW belt. GSP only wants to fight at 170 let him go for that belt if GSP wins in Nov. If AS wins and does not want to defend he can vacate that belt and take aim at JBJ's belt (if he still has it). He could retire with that one.

Yep that would do what he wants done. At that point no one could argue.

Frankly I say we see more fights than two. I think he may want a new contract now for a total of 5 fights. Dana would be smart to try to get that done ASAP. AS is at his best IMO, and there is no need to retire unless he just wants to.
10/15/12 11:28 PM
StrikingMMA

Driscoll - 
StrikingMMA - 

Anderson was a former Shooto world champion and Pride veteran who, despite a few losses, was still an animal.

I'm siding with Anderson on this one. Weidman may be the best in the division and he deserves a shot at the title, but he hasn't done enough to warrant being one of the last two (or so) fights in the career of the GOAT. Those are for big money fangasm matches. You could say that Anderson should give up the title, but I would guess he wants to retire the undefeated champion. After everything he's accomplished, they wouldn't want to take that away from him. I do think Weidman will be champion someday, though.

If Anderson is the champion he should defend his belt. It's ridiculous to put the belt on the shelf just to "fangasm" over Anderson. There's a lot of talent working hard for their opportunity. He got his opportunity so now let them get theirs. Or just give up the belt and fight big name/money matches.

You agree that Wiedman is probably the #1 contender at MW but you don't think he deserves to fight the champ? C'mon it sounds like you think Anderson should retire with the belt with his last 3 fights being non-title fights; Bonnar, GSP, ?

That line of thought doesn't make sense to me.
10/15/12 11:36 PM
Driscoll
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StrikingMMA - 
Driscoll - 
StrikingMMA - 

If Anderson is the champion he should defend his belt. It's ridiculous to put the belt on the shelf just to "fangasm" over Anderson. There's a lot of talent working hard for their opportunity. He got his opportunity so now let them get theirs. Or just give up the belt and fight big name/money matches.

You agree that Wiedman is probably the #1 contender at MW but you don't think he deserves to fight the champ? C'mon it sounds like you think Anderson should retire with the belt with his last 3 fights being non-title fights; Bonnar, GSP, ?

That line of thought doesn't make sense to me.

This isn't about Weidman deserving to fight the champ. If it weren't for the time running out on Silva, I'd say he should be next. This is a business and it's about how to make the most money for both him and the UFC, especially since he's in the twilight of his career. Middleweight Champion vs. Light Heavyweight/Welterweight Champion sounds a whole lot more epic than just Anderson Silva vs. Jon Jones/GSP. If Anderson still holds the title it makes him out to be better and it adds to the bout. If he's stripped of it then the fight seems more like an old timer getting his one last shot at the new up-and-comers.

10/16/12 1:00 AM
random_perv

Interesting tweet

"@CesarGracieBJJ: I guarantee that @nickdiaz209 will fight @spideranderson @ufc" Phone Post
10/16/12 1:10 AM
MMALOGIC

zuffa is not gonna give him GSP unless he signs a new contract.

10/16/12 1:22 AM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StrikingMMA - 

Thats a great point and one that should be repeated anytime this comes up.

As far as Diaz, let him beat a ranked fighter in his own division first. Hell have him fight at least one fight at 185. Its a slap in the face to people in that division that have worked hard for their title shots to be passed over by lost a #1 contender fight in his own division, not to mention failing to show up for press conferences.
10/16/12 1:22 AM
MMAFriedRice
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh he must be ducking him. Man I would love to see him fight GSP. Then what? We go from a super fight to weidman? No thanks. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.