UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> RIP Sifu Bob Bremer

10/16/12 1:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kneeblock
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Posted this on the UG, but figured I'd re-post it here:

Just read the very sad news that Bob Bremer, one of Bruce Lee's original students from the Chinatown JKD days passed away this weekend.

Bremer spent the last several decades teaching out of Tim Tackett's garage in Redlands, California using the old style of rugged, inexpensive and open to all teaching he'd picked up from Bruce directly.

Many years ago, I had the privilege to train in that garage and Bob was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He wasn't getting called Guro or Sifu or Master or anything by anyone. He was just Bob. I had heard of Tim Tackett before I even went to Redlands as he was a student of Dan Inosanto but had no idea who this old guy Bob was until one of the other assistant instructors told me:

"That guy? He's been around since the beginning."

Bob was an older gentleman even then and certainly a little on the portly side, but he moved with a grace I'd never seen up to that point. He could glide across the room like Fred Astaire and have his jab resting right between your eyes before you even realized he'd moved. I thought to myself many times "That's what I want to be like when I'm an old man."

Sadly I didn't make the most of my time there as I was young and caught up in partying and girls, but I never forgot the time I spent there either. That Bob stayed in that garage teaching week after week was testament to how much he loved what Bruce had given him and how much he loved sharing it. The world is poorer for having lost such a great resource, but richer for all the time he took to share his knowledge.

RIP Sifu Bob Bremer.

(Pictured at right)

10/16/12 9:59 AM
Stickgrappler
1561 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Bremer sifu

Knee,

that was awesome. thank you!
10/16/12 10:00 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

+1
RIP
10/18/12 3:30 AM
shen
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is sad to hear.

Sounds like he taught for all the right reasons.

RIP
10/20/12 1:26 AM
Kneeblock
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
That is sad to hear.

Sounds like he taught for all the right reasons.

RIP

And equally sad is that I could never get Mike to go there with me! And he lived there for years!

10/20/12 6:11 AM
PTM2020
1097 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rip

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.