UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Hugo Weaving Doesn't Want to Play Red Skull Again

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/16/12 1:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com

Captain America: The First Avenger's Hugo Weaving recently spoke quite candidly about the prospect of returning as "Red Skull" in future Captain America or Marvel films.

In a chat with Collider, Weaving said of the possibility of reprising his villain role in the future, "I think the tendency, with those films, would be to probably not bring a villain back.  They might for The Avengers, but I didn’t think I’d be in Captain America 2 or 3.  I don’t think Red Skull will be there.  And it’s not something I would want to do again.  I’m glad I did it.  I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn’t want to force someone to do it, if they didn’t want to."

Source: IGN.com

10/16/12 1:48 PM
Stickgrappler
2222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was entertained by the movie, but didn't really think Weaving was all that in it. i'm not a diehard cap fanboy, so if he doesn't return i'm not going to be devastated.
10/16/12 1:59 PM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com

Not like it would really matter at this point since the Skull would always need to be in prosthetics so they can cast whoever they want and no one is going to notice the difference.  They need to stop hiring serious actors for this stuff and guys who actually want to be there.

10/16/12 2:09 PM
Stickgrappler
2222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

true, but guessing they want some name actors to draw more than comics fanboys in... well with Weaving, they would still get fanboys lol

but i guess like he said, he was under contract and had to do a movie, perhaps , the studio/producers wanted to make use of his contract before going outside their contracted pool
10/16/12 3:37 PM
matt murdock
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's he so busy doing that he can't be in the biggest movie series of all time (Marvel movies)?
10/16/12 4:48 PM
BlueOnBlack
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know what that means... Baron Zemo!
10/16/12 4:49 PM
Augie Max

MMARoundup.com
matt murdock - What's he so busy doing that he can't be in the biggest movie series of all time (Marvel movies)?

The guy has been in "The Matrix" Trilogy and "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" so I don't think he really cares that much about those sorts of accolades.  

10/16/12 4:58 PM
torquemada
431 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, he's pretty much achieved geek god status. Phone Post
10/16/12 5:36 PM
jbapk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"They need to stop hiring serious actors for this stuff and guys who actually want to be there."

Yeah if there's anything that will increase the quality of these movies its decreasing the quality of the acting.
10/16/12 8:55 PM
JudOWNED
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't care if Red Skull is in the next movie or not. But if he is, I want him to be played by Weaving.
10/16/12 10:17 PM
Augie Max

MMARoundup.com

The dude is on a rampage...

Hugo Weaving: Megatron and Transformers Mean Nothing to Me:

"That’s a weird job for me because it honestly was a two-hour voice job, initially. I was doing a play and I actually didn’t have time, anyway. It was one of the only things I’ve ever done where I had no knowledge of it, I didn’t care about it, I didn’t think about it. They wanted me to do it."
"In one way, I regret that bit. I don’t regret doing it, but I very rarely do something if it’s meaningless. It was meaningless to me, honestly. I don’t mean that in any nasty way. I did it. It was a two-hour voice job, while I was doing other things. Of course, it’s a massive film that’s made masses of money. I just happened to be the voice of one of the iconic villainous characters. But, my link to that and to Michael Bay is so minimal. I have never met him. I was never on set. I’ve seen his face on Skype. I know nothing about him, really. I just went in and did it. I never read the script. I just have my lines, and I don’t know what they mean. That sounds absolutely pathetic! I’ve never done anything like that, in my life. It’s hard to say any more about it than that, really."
10/16/12 11:37 PM
MarkRobinson
1510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Id hate to have someone else pick up the role of Red Skull. That said, i dont think he did anything spectacular with the role. 

Personally, i would be fine if they just didnt bring back Red Skull at all. Bring on Baron Zemo and Crossbones. 

10/17/12 9:06 AM
paw
1723 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augie Max - 

The dude is on a rampage...

Hugo Weaving: Megatron and Transformers Mean Nothing to Me:

"That’s a weird job for me because it honestly was a two-hour voice job, initially. I was doing a play and I actually didn’t have time, anyway. It was one of the only things I’ve ever done where I had no knowledge of it, I didn’t care about it, I didn’t think about it. They wanted me to do it."
"In one way, I regret that bit. I don’t regret doing it, but I very rarely do something if it’s meaningless. It was meaningless to me, honestly. I don’t mean that in any nasty way. I did it. It was a two-hour voice job, while I was doing other things. Of course, it’s a massive film that’s made masses of money. I just happened to be the voice of one of the iconic villainous characters. But, my link to that and to Michael Bay is so minimal. I have never met him. I was never on set. I’ve seen his face on Skype. I know nothing about him, really. I just went in and did it. I never read the script. I just have my lines, and I don’t know what they mean. That sounds absolutely pathetic! I’ve never done anything like that, in my life. It’s hard to say any more about it than that, really."

Nice find!

10/17/12 9:37 AM
BigWilliam
354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Generally you don't retread the first villain in the sequel. So I think the next Cap movie will have another villain.
10/18/12 1:06 PM
Augie Max

Edited: 10/18/12 1:06 PM
MMARoundup.com

Shots fired!  Michael Bay retorts...

“Do you ever get sick of actors that make $15 million a picture, or even $200,000 for voiceover work that took a brisk one hour and 43 minutes to complete, and then complain about their jobs? With all the problems facing our world today, do these grumbling thespians really think people reading the news actually care about trivial complaints that their job wasn’t “artistic enough” or “fulfilling enough”? I guess The Hollywood Reporter thinks so.

What happened to people who had integrity, who did a job, got paid for their hard work, and just smiled afterward? Be happy you even have a job – let alone a job that pays you more than 98% of the people in America.

I have a wonderful idea for all those whiners: They can give their “unhappy job money” to a wonderful Elephant Rescue. It’s the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Africa. I will match the funds they donate.”
10/18/12 1:45 PM
paw
1723 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL......Game on!

10/19/12 9:31 AM
BigWilliam
354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does michael bay think anyone gives two shits about his opinion really? Go film some explosions and masturbate to slow motion running soldiers mike.
10/19/12 12:04 PM
RedDragonUK
660 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guy that played skeletor and Nixon in Frost vs Nixon would be good. Maybe a bit old now but he could do amazing things with prosthetics and his facial and eye expressions. Phone Post
10/19/12 12:16 PM
Augie Max

Edited: 10/19/12 1:17 PM
MMARoundup.com
RedDragonUK -  Guy that played skeletor and Nixon in Frost vs Nixon would be good. Maybe a bit old now but he could do amazing things with prosthetics and his facial and eye expressions. Phone Post

Frank Langella is no stranger to the Geek world.  That's for sure.

10/19/12 1:07 PM
RedDragonUK
660 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats the guy! Thanks. Awesome actor. Phone Post
10/19/12 1:28 PM
BigWilliam

Frank Langella is incredible, great choice for almost any villain role.
10/19/12 2:10 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
1455 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - Frank Langella is incredible, great choice for almost any villain role.

HE PLAYED A GREAT SKELETOR...................

10/20/12 3:12 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If they can replace Bruce Banner without missing a beat (in fact have three different banners in three starring roles) I'm pretty sure they can replace a guy with a german accent buried under red skull makeup without any issues at all.

10/22/12 4:35 PM
Kneeblock
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Bay is the Rob Liefeld of the film world.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.