UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones & Sonnen to coach TUF 17, fight April 27th

10/16/12 5:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jasonhightower
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nonlinear -

You all need to stop bullshitting yourselves.  You don't watch TUF and you aren't going to watch Season 17 no matter who is coaching.  You aren't going to sit around on Friday night so you can watch FX.

Trying to throw your biggest draws at a timeslot your target market doesn't watch just shows how stupid UFC's marketing can be.  It's been good about branding the Octagon but stuff like this "throw stars against the wall and hope they stick and save TUF" strategy is amateurish and reeks of desperation.

I haven't missed a season yet AND I don't sit around watching it on Friday nights either. #dvr Phone Post
10/16/12 5:57 PM
Shogun05
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tankhead -  We're witnessing the UFC abandoning trying to be an actual sport and going for Sports Entertainment ala WWE. We aren't watching the best fight the best, we're watching who the UFC thinks will make them the most money.

Chael hasn't beaten a single LHW since his announcement to move up. Let alone a top LHW. There are no rankings in the UFC as is apparent by Dana only talking about GOAT rankings now days. Every real mainstream sport has a ranking structure that pits the best against the best. Even boxing has someone what of a ranking structure. This is pure, unadulterated WWE crap.

I don't dislike Dana as a person but his sacrificing the UFC's validity for the almighty dollar is disgusting. I can't wait to hear the hype for this. How can you hype this fight? There's no way to push Chael as the biggest threat to Jones when he hasn't even fought in that weight class yet.

Ugh... Phone Post

This ^^ 100%.

I watch MMA to watch the best fighters on the planet fight each other, not to see some WWE soap opera drama.

Will it help TUF? Yeah, but only for this season. After this season everybody will stop watching again and the sport will be seen as a joke where you don't have to be able to be the best to go far, you just have to be able to talk trash. Disappointed.
10/16/12 5:58 PM
Principe03

This is complete and utter BS, this is the same man who's guilty of:

- Known PED user
- Known money embezzler
- Barely got by Bisping
- Embarrassed himself against Silva in 1 1/2 rounds

...and his only redeeming quality is that he's a good talker?

Before the return and rise of corruption in boxing about 10-15 years go (I'm sure it was happening before but not as rampant) there was a certain prestige with it being a combat sport that's legit and based off rankings. UFC just proves that they are a PROMOTION and not pushing for MMA to be legitimatized as a sport. This is seriously questioning the integrity of the ranking systems and makes me wonder how many fights will be fixed in the future or have been in the name of ratings.

The irony is that this is exactly how pro wrestling started, they were legitimate shooters and in order to prevent all the injuries (hint hint) of touring all year long with the circus they decided to script matches and worry more about entertainment.

UFC needs to pick which way they want to go, go the route of being a legit sport with a real ranking system or concentrate on entertainment only.
RCP
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RJJH -
Sofa King Cool -  Hasn't Jones already beaten a better version of Chael named Rashad? Phone Post

Chael will be his easiest fight in the UFC BY FAR.

Yep to both...

Sonnen will be sleeping by the 2nd round... Phone Post
RJJH
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love how I have gotten 5 vote downs since this Chael - Jones thing has came up.

Chael fans a little butt hurt? or is it Dana fans? sorry to insult you fuckheads.

fuck the UG.

10/16/12 6:00 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen - 
RJJH - 
mmavixen - 
RJJH - 
Tomato Can - This is actually probably a less lopsided fight than Silva/Bonnar but it still sucks.

Really? LESS onesided?

Chael has NOTHING for him, not even a chin to stay conscious.

Bonner AT THE VERY LEAST had a chin and a winning record.

thinking about it, Bonner - Chael would be the fight they SHOULD make.

RJ-

You know you're my buddy, but I think you're being a little unfair to Chael.  I know I am biased here, but lets' not forget that Chael is the only person that has actually challenged Silva.  So, don't count him completely out of a Jones fight.

LOL, unfair? Fael is a cheater and a real scumbag of a human. me telling it how it is is not unfair at all.

also, this could very well be the easiest fight for Jones since coming to the UFC. and I am 100% serious when I say that.

tell me what Chael can even remotely do in this fight to win?

I guarantee you he is the coolest, nicest human being ever.  No one who has ever spent any time with Chael will ever say a bad word about him.  He does countless things for chairty and other things that never get published.  

As for whether he can win the fight or not, for everything I say, someone will play contrarian and tell me Jones can do it better.  All I am saying is that it won't be as lopsided as people think. 

Of course people are welcome to disagree, it's just my opinion.

I agree with you vixen. Never met Chael but from what I've seen you can tell he's a good guy. Some people are so quick to judge based on nothing. Chael will give Jones a good fight win or lose. 

10/16/12 6:01 PM
charliedelta1000
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RJJH - 
charliedelta1000 - How the hell is Chael going to put up with all of Jones' self righteousness for weeks on end?

or vise versa?!?!

Jones constantly goes on about how highly he thinks of himself
10/16/12 6:04 PM
32Hunter

UGCTT_JTA420 - Wouldn't be surprised to see this fight scrapped to injury Phone Post
Great idea Phone Post
10/16/12 6:04 PM
Bromovich
467 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YES! YES! YES! Phone Post
10/16/12 6:07 PM
Anderson P Sonnen
680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Chael somehow pulls this off...the whole UG will scream.........

10/16/12 6:07 PM
UGCTT_AsimpleFan
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Complete bullshit. I am one of the few that still buys PPV and watches TUF and if this happens that will stop. I want MMA. A sport where people earn title shots and promotors make fights happen. This is WWE bullshit and a lopsided win for a young champion that has not cleaned out his division. And yes bro I am mad. Phone Post
10/16/12 6:09 PM
Nonlinear

I don't know what is worse.  Those who think this profitable spectacle is a good/competive/meaningful fight or those who think Sonnen has a chance.

10/16/12 6:09 PM
32Hunter

I'd have less of a problem with this if it was a nontitle match. Phone Post
10/16/12 6:10 PM
Nonlinear

jasonhightower - 
Nonlinear -

You all need to stop bullshitting yourselves.  You don't watch TUF and you aren't going to watch Season 17 no matter who is coaching.  You aren't going to sit around on Friday night so you can watch FX.

Trying to throw your biggest draws at a timeslot your target market doesn't watch just shows how stupid UFC's marketing can be.  It's been good about branding the Octagon but stuff like this "throw stars against the wall and hope they stick and save TUF" strategy is amateurish and reeks of desperation.

I haven't missed a season yet AND I don't sit around watching it on Friday nights either. #dvr Phone Post

Oh yeah.  Well... I got nothin.

10/16/12 6:12 PM
UGCTT_AsimpleFan
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael should at the very least have to fight Rashad before he gets a title shot. Zuffa must really be desperate for ratings to make these two tough coaches. Sad day for MMA fans. Phone Post
10/16/12 6:13 PM
loudgrl

Underground Blog - 

Jones, Silva to coach TUF 17

I like it, i said it
10/16/12 6:14 PM
Tankhead
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scrapping TUF and going with Friday Night Fights is a fantastic idea. They aren't adding even more fighters to their 300 fighter bench and the guys waiting in the wings can get some money. They can also start building a ranking system.

We wonder why there are a lot of boring fights. You have guys waiting a year or more just to get in the ring. Day jobs are a huge factor in this. If you fight full time, you're better trained and therefore can put on better fights. Also, with the bloated roster, a good portion is on the chopping block. The UFC's plan to buy out the sport is backfiring because they have no way to keep these guys fighting.

In short, do something to give the fighters you already have a chance to get paid. Not something that adds more fighters to sit on their asses wondering when they are going to get their next paycheck. Scrap TUF and give us weekly or bi-monthly fights.

Structure. Ending fighter's taking day jobs cause they never get booked. That's what the UFC needs. Phone Post
10/16/12 6:16 PM
loudgrl

I like it
10/16/12 6:17 PM
PitbullTodd

coaches should be:

jones x hendo or jones x daniel cormier

in a perfect world the coaches would be jones x anderson
10/16/12 6:19 PM
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork

the UFC NEEDED to do this!!! TUF sucks and HAS sucked!! This is the ONLY match-up of fighters they could've done to make me watch again....aside from another "Comeback" season...I'm a sucker for an underdog!!
10/16/12 6:24 PM
dannyapodaca

I love the idea of Friday night fights. Phone Post
10/16/12 6:24 PM
rumble_fish
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha, I wanna see this. I don't get what all the crying is about. Seems like all the whiners come out of the wood works every time new TUF coaches are announced. Who doesn't want to see Chael bug the shit out of Bones? Bitches that's good tv!
10/16/12 6:29 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rumble_fish - Haha, I wanna see this. I don't get what all the crying is about. Seems like all the whiners come out of the wood works every time new TUF coaches are announced. Who doesn't want to see Chael bug the shit out of Bones? Bitches that's good tv!

Right on. This guy gets it.

10/16/12 6:29 PM
Poker face

If the fight is on FX I don't see the problem , but if Zuffa wants to put on pay per view I'll read the highlights.... Phone Post
10/16/12 6:31 PM
Shogun05

rumble_fish - Haha, I wanna see this. I don't get what all the crying is about. Seems like all the whiners come out of the wood works every time new TUF coaches are announced. Who doesn't want to see Chael bug the shit out of Bones? Bitches that's good tv!

Because they're athletes not actors. I want to see them fighting the best out there, not be in a reality show. I don't want to see Chael "bug the shit out of Jones" I want to see him wins some fights at 205 so he actually deserves the title fight he is getting.

At the moment Chael is getting a title fight because he's good at trash talking and people are interested in him, not because he's proved to be the best fighter at 205, that's WWE match making, not the match-making of a sport, a sport should give the title shots to the fighters that deserve it the most, not the fighters that are the most controversial.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.