UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones & Sonnen to coach TUF 17, fight April 27th

10/16/12 5:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dana Stern
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't wait for it all. I watch this sport as a whole for entertainment purposes and for the competition. Looks like I will get a bit of both. Phone Post
10/16/12 5:01 PM
Ktaco
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smurphy -  Arguably I understand why some aren't excited, but I'm stoked!!! I think we will see a different side of Chael when it comes to coaching! I think he will be a great coach IMO! Phone Post

Yeah but they are not going to focus on his coaching. That's not what gets ratings. Drama gets ratings. There's a reason why shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povich is still on the air.
10/16/12 5:02 PM
UGCTT_Paul_Blanka_Harris

Imagine if chael wins the fight ,the ug would def explode !!! This is not such a bad thing guys tuf might actually be worth watching now 

10/16/12 5:02 PM
SLOtownG

I may be the minority but this is fucking stupid. If Hendo beats machida I want to see bones Henderson. Fuck tuf and fuck sonnen getting a title shot and fuck making us wait till April. Stupid! Phone Post
10/16/12 5:04 PM
nexus6ca

bah Sonnen talks his way into another title shot.
10/16/12 5:04 PM
SMS89
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sonnen gunning for KenFlo's UFC record of most loses in title fights. KenFlo holds that title with 3 IIRC.

This loss to JBJ will tie Sonnen up with Florian, and his title loss to JDS will cement his name in the UFC record books, where he belongs. Phone Post
10/16/12 5:05 PM
Smurphy
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ktaco -
Smurphy -  Arguably I understand why some aren't excited, but I'm stoked!!! I think we will see a different side of Chael when it comes to coaching! I think he will be a great coach IMO! Phone Post

Yeah but they are not going to focus on his coaching. That's not what gets ratings. Drama gets ratings. There's a reason why shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povich is still on the air.
Very good point! Phone Post
10/16/12 5:07 PM
bubkusjones
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is not the spark that TUF needs, though. It's become nothing more than a bunch of lackluster fighters with big egos that would normally never get near the UFC, but get the shot because their on-camera characters generate hype.

The entire format needs to be scrapped and the show overhauled, or the show needs to end.
10/16/12 5:07 PM
InspiritMick

Dana making turning MMA into WWE.........I miss giant Silva.....

10/16/12 5:08 PM
McBottery
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huuuuuge Chael fan but this is fucking dumb. He should have at least one fight at LHW first. Phone Post
Peterpump

It makes sense to have Chael on TUF but up against another LHW not the champion Phone Post
Phisher

"Jones is going to have 10 inches of reach and probably about 30lbs on him, "

Sonnen has been weighing close to 220 in the cage for his recent fights. It's not 2003 anymore. Sonnen has bulked up to LHW size him recent years.

JoeVIP
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, this was not the reaction I was expecting. Phone Post
RJJH
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ktaco - Shows like TUF are not meant to be around as long as it has been, that's why ratings have gone to shit. When are they going to realize that people just don't want to see it anymore. The ONLY TUF season that would get good ratings at this point is a "veterans of mma" season or a "comeback" season with some known names.

this!

Dana, stop smoking crack and listen to the fucking fans!

10/16/12 5:09 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
1166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HELL FUCKING YES!!!!!    JONES'S HOLIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE COUPLED WITH SONNEN'S PERSONALITY WILL MAKE SOME GREAT FUCKING TELEVISION!!!

10/16/12 5:11 PM
SMS89
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In all seriousness, I'm actually pretty excited for this fight. It's a great strategy for the UFC. Gives JBJ the time to properly heal his arm while still making great use of him and Sonnen to resuscitate the dying TUF series. The only better pairing to bring ratings to that show right now is JBJ/Silva, which is not happening. So F it... Why not?

We all understand that this fight is pretty irrelevant and down right wrong when we look at the order of things and "rankings" (which the UFC tends not to follow most of the time), but at the same time we should also understand that the build up and actual fight will be very exciting. Both guys bring it, and the lead up is going to be awesome. By the time TUF is over, everybody crying about this right now will be chomping at the bit to see this fight happen. Phone Post
10/16/12 5:11 PM
Pancake Syrup
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SLOtownG -  I may be the minority but this is fucking stupid. If Hendo beats machida I want to see bones Henderson. Fuck tuf and fuck sonnen getting a title shot and fuck making us wait till April. Stupid! Phone Post

Jones arm is hurt this gives him time to heal while getting his regular rest between fights. He gets to promote the fight with Chael while coaching whatever fighters they have
10/16/12 5:12 PM
BravoPUA
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BIGWHITESEXY -

HELL FUCKING YES!!!!!    JONES'S HOLIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE COUPLED WITH SONNEN'S PERSONALITY WILL MAKE SOME GREAT FUCKING TELEVISION!!!

Exactly what I was going to post!!

Jones looks bad. Chael looks awesome.

Then a fight everyone wants.

Win win win Phone Post
10/16/12 5:13 PM
Tankhead
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're witnessing the UFC abandoning trying to be an actual sport and going for Sports Entertainment ala WWE. We aren't watching the best fight the best, we're watching who the UFC thinks will make them the most money.

Chael hasn't beaten a single LHW since his announcement to move up. Let alone a top LHW. There are no rankings in the UFC as is apparent by Dana only talking about GOAT rankings now days. Every real mainstream sport has a ranking structure that pits the best against the best. Even boxing has someone what of a ranking structure. This is pure, unadulterated WWE crap.

I don't dislike Dana as a person but his sacrificing the UFC's validity for the almighty dollar is disgusting. I can't wait to hear the hype for this. How can you hype this fight? There's no way to push Chael as the biggest threat to Jones when he hasn't even fought in that weight class yet.

Ugh... Phone Post
10/16/12 5:14 PM
chaplinshouse
778 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i hear a lot of whining but no alternate suggestions.  i like it.  chael will entertain and bones will implode

i would like to see nick diaz / josh koshcheck, and make them share a bedroom in the fighter's house.  that'd be good tv.  in fact, make chael and bones share a room in the fighter's house too.  i see no reason to have the coaches up in a camera-less hotel during filming at night

10/16/12 5:15 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/12 5:24 PM
Every fighter in the top 5 of the LHW division should be pissed. Sonnen has talked his way into a title fight <br />
10/16/12 5:15 PM
Pancake Syrup
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will be interesting if Chael can get Jones to trash talk to him back and "expose" him some more
10/16/12 5:17 PM
ReeferMadness
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no interest in this fight and I think it degrades the value of the LHW belt. I understood offering Chael the title shot when Dana's back was against the wall and they needed to save the PPV but this move is just to get the stupid TUF ratings up.

Dana, you get us all excited about JBJ vs Silva and this is what you give us? Chael should at least have to get by a top 10 LHW first. I think Forrest would have put it on Chael.
10/16/12 5:18 PM
Nonlinear

Here's an alternative.  Get rid of TUF and start something like Friday Night Fights.  No need to put another title on the shelf for a year.  I'd rather watch fights than reality TV bullshit.

I have a question for UFC's marketing department.  Who exactly is your customer?  Who is this show targeting and why?  What's the strategy?  Throw draws against the wall and see if they stick?  Have you ever stopped and asked yourselves what kind of loser sits at home on a Friday night watching TUF on FX?

10/16/12 5:19 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jonflesh -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - So wait... Jones and Chael are coaching TUF?

What if Chael loses to Forrest? He still gets a title shot? Phone Post
Looks like the Forrest fight is off since taping starts on the 29th. Phone Post
So they canceled his LHW debut to put him straight through to the belt in a weight division he hasn't even fought in, in the UFC? Ummmm ok, they dropped the ball a little on that one. Forest vs chael would've been interesting. This is too dumb to intrigue me as much as it would have if chael had actually stepped foot in the octagon at 205 before. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.