UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones & Sonnen to coach TUF 17, fight April 27th

10/16/12 5:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Masakyst
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Hendo is one of Chael's coaches
10/16/12 5:22 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ReeferMadness - I have no interest in this fight and I think it degrades the value of the LHW belt. I understood offering Chael the title shot when Dana's back was against the wall and they needed to save the PPV but this move is just to get the stupid TUF ratings up.

Dana, you get us all excited about JBJ vs Silva and this is what you give us? Chael should at least have to get by a top 10 LHW first. I think Forrest would have put it on Chael.
Lol I bet this chael/jones thing develops into a "silva beat him twice, and THIS is how he fared against jones, so now to put silva against jones."

Or hopefully anyway.. Phone Post
10/16/12 5:24 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tankhead - We're witnessing the UFC abandoning trying to be an actual sport and going for Sports Entertainment ala WWE. We aren't watching the best fight the best, we're watching who the UFC thinks will make them the most money.

Chael hasn't beaten a single LHW since his announcement to move up. Let alone a top LHW. There are no rankings in the UFC as is apparent by Dana only talking about GOAT rankings now days. Every real mainstream sport has a ranking structure that pits the best against the best. Even boxing has someone what of a ranking structure. This is pure, unadulterated WWE crap.

I don't dislike Dana as a person but his sacrificing the UFC's validity for the almighty dollar is disgusting. I can't wait to hear the hype for this. How can you hype this fight? There's no way to push Chael as the biggest threat to Jones when he hasn't even fought in that weight class yet.

Ugh... Phone Post
Annnnnd this as welll Phone Post
10/16/12 5:24 PM
UGCTT_zackthewop
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is fucking retarded.

I will not watch this tuf or order this ppv. This is as lopsided as it gets.

This is some straight wwf type shit. Phone Post
10/16/12 5:25 PM
Ktaco
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Salokcin69 - 
jonflesh -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - So wait... Jones and Chael are coaching TUF?

What if Chael loses to Forrest? He still gets a title shot? Phone Post
Looks like the Forrest fight is off since taping starts on the 29th. Phone Post
So they canceled his LHW debut to put him straight through to the belt in a weight division he hasn't even fought in, in the UFC? Ummmm ok, they dropped the ball a little on that one. Forest vs chael would've been interesting. This is too dumb to intrigue me as much as it would have if chael had actually stepped foot in the octagon at 205 before. Phone Post

UFC 55 - Chael vs Renato Sobral

But yes, I agree with what you are saying.
10/16/12 5:25 PM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FUCK. AND. YES. Phone Post
10/16/12 5:26 PM
ReeferMadness
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tankhead -  We're witnessing the UFC abandoning trying to be an actual sport and going for Sports Entertainment ala WWE. We aren't watching the best fight the best, we're watching who the UFC thinks will make them the most money.

Chael hasn't beaten a single LHW since his announcement to move up. Let alone a top LHW. There are no rankings in the UFC as is apparent by Dana only talking about GOAT rankings now days. Every real mainstream sport has a ranking structure that pits the best against the best. Even boxing has someone what of a ranking structure. This is pure, unadulterated WWE crap.

I don't dislike Dana as a person but his sacrificing the UFC's validity for the almighty dollar is disgusting. I can't wait to hear the hype for this. How can you hype this fight? There's no way to push Chael as the biggest threat to Jones when he hasn't even fought in that weight class yet.

Ugh... Phone Post

Well said... Isn't this the kind of crap that Dana used to rail against Pride about?
10/16/12 5:27 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was right.

I told you they'd fight and have been posting it a long time ago.

However I am wrong on one thing.

I said they fight Memorial Day weekend or 4th of July weekend.

Now they are fighting in April.

The minute Sonnen started talking, Dana started chirping and Jon started saying he didn't deserve it was a big corny ass. WWE angle and the old pro wrestling fans saw through it.

For those MMA fans who thought this "sport" operated differently from WWE?

Sorry.

It's the same shit only that the fights are real. Phone Post
10/16/12 5:27 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chaplinshouse - 

i hear a lot of whining but no alternate suggestions.  i like it.  chael will entertain and bones will implode

i would like to see nick diaz / josh koshcheck, and make them share a bedroom in the fighter's house.  that'd be good tv.  in fact, make chael and bones share a room in the fighter's house too.  i see no reason to have the coaches up in a camera-less hotel during filming at night

Could not agree more. I like the fight because I like any fight, but from the stand point of UFC being a sport, this is just bad WWE/Boxing stuff.
10/16/12 5:29 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Radio Raheem -  FUCK. AND. YES. Phone Post

This is going to be a great season.  I am super excited for Chael-the nicest guy on the planet.

10/16/12 5:29 PM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I might actually watch that season of TUF, no doubt Sonnen will hype the shit out of it and watching him wind up Jones will make great tv. But when the talking is all said and done and it comes to fight time Jones will crush him worse than Silva did IMO.
10/16/12 5:30 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a disappointing announcement... basically the UFC is saying to fighters that regardless of how you win, who you beat (or in Sonnens case dont beat), the easiest way to a title shot is to have a personality that people love to hate...also you probably should make derogatory comments about an entire country as well as claim you are the champion even after being submitted....
ReeferMadness
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nonlinear - 

Here's an alternative.  Get rid of TUF and start something like Friday Night Fights.  No need to put another title on the shelf for a year.  I'd rather watch fights than reality TV bullshit.

I have a question for UFC's marketing department.  Who exactly is your customer?  Who is this show targeting and why?  What's the strategy?  Throw draws against the wall and see if they stick?  Have you ever stopped and asked yourselves what kind of loser sits at home on a Friday night watching TUF on FX?

Totally agree, Friday night fights would be so much better. TUF has run its course.
Vril
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/12 5:31 PM

10/16/12 5:31 PM
Woodford Mike
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will make for an interesting season of TUF, but a terribly one-sided fight.

I still maintain that the absolute best season of TUF would be Nick Diaz / Josh Koscheck. Absolute marketing gold and a pretty good scrap at the end of it.
10/16/12 5:31 PM
Tomato Can
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is actually probably a less lopsided fight than Silva/Bonnar but it still sucks. It's about as compelling as a Jones/Bader rematch would be. This is just a lame ratings grab since TUF is absolutely floundering on FX.

Also, is it possible this means Dan Henderson's career might be over?
10/16/12 5:32 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke -  I was right.

I told you they'd fight and have been posting it a long time ago.

However I am wrong on one thing.

I said they fight Memorial Day weekend or 4th of July weekend.

Now they are fighting in April.

The minute Sonnen started talking, Dana started chirping and Jon started saying he didn't deserve it was a big corny ass. WWE angle and the old pro wrestling fans saw through it.

For those MMA fans who thought this "sport" operated differently from WWE?

Sorry.

It's the same shit only that the fights are real. Phone Post

^^^
10/16/12 5:33 PM
RJJH
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/12 5:33 PM
Tomato Can - This is actually probably a less lopsided fight than Silva/Bonnar but it still sucks.

Really? LESS onesided?

Chael has NOTHING for him, not even a chin to stay conscious.

Bonner AT THE VERY LEAST had a chin and a winning record.

thinking about it, Bonner - Chael would be the fight they SHOULD make.

10/16/12 5:35 PM
JimmersonzGlove
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So we're waiting at least a year now for Silva vs Jones if it were to happen?

10/16/12 5:35 PM
mandible
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I completely agree with all the comments about Chael not even having come close to earning his shot blah blah blah, that has happened before though throughout the years and in many divisions.

What really bugs me is that usually in those scenarios (Leites, Cote at MW, the entire Flyweight division for the next 1-2 years probably, Stevenson at LW) the decision was driven by the fact that there were not any other viable contenders, which is not the case here.

You have Dan Henderson- the old lion looking for one more shot at a title. Lyoto Machida- former champ still in prime of career looking to do what he does best, figure out a puzzle and remain elusive. Alex Gustaffson- Young gun trying to make his move and Shogun- Veteran but young enough still, putting together another run.

All these guys are coming off wins, a 4 man tourney would be perfect here and would give Jones the time needed to heal his arm up.

The real travesty here is those four guys' careers are on hold, and for Hendo, it may prove too late now to get a shot that after his WAR with Shogun, was rightfully his.
10/16/12 5:36 PM
djones

JimmersonzGlove - 

So we're waiting at least a year now for Silva vs Jones if it were to happen?

Atleast... which means Silva will be 38 and even less likely to accept that fight
10/16/12 5:36 PM
MichaelMeyers

For all of the people saying that Chael is going to talk all kinds of shit...what is he going to say? I mean really? Unless you've totally forgotten that he was embarrassed in his last fight at MW and run out of the LHW division before that, anything he says will be even more ridiculous than it was before.

All Jones has to say to Chael is, "Anderson Silva." and 'You couldn't cut it at 205 before, and you still can't, but it's your only option at this point." or "I hope you enjoy this payday, because it's going to be your last for awhile."
10/16/12 5:37 PM
tanner904

Wow you can have a crappy record and have just got whipped by the mw champ and you can talk ur self into a title that fast??? Pathetic move by the UFC if this is true...sonnen has no I mean zero chance in this fight Phone Post
10/16/12 5:38 PM
tbi0904
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'd be lying. No different than boxing. The only redeeming thing to come from this is to see Chael get destroyed and his WWE fanbase cry all weekend on the forums. It may get me to watch TUF again so in that sense I guess it'll work.
10/16/12 5:39 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RJJH - 
Tomato Can - This is actually probably a less lopsided fight than Silva/Bonnar but it still sucks.

Really? LESS onesided?

Chael has NOTHING for him, not even a chin to stay conscious.

Bonner AT THE VERY LEAST had a chin and a winning record.

thinking about it, Bonner - Chael would be the fight they SHOULD make.

RJ-

You know you're my buddy, but I think you're being a little unfair to Chael.  I know I am biased here, but lets' not forget that Chael is the only person that has actually challenged Silva.  So, don't count him completely out of a Jones fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.