UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones vs. Sonnen: Good TV vs. good competition

10/16/12 8:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It's seems what makes good TV is an obnoxious mouth that may eventually get you punched in the face. Look what happened to Snooki in the first season of Jersey Show.

Recently it was announced that Jon Jones will coach the new season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF)
opposite Chael Sonnen. Then the two will meet on April 27, 2013 at an unnamed UFC event.

Although Sonnen hasn't competed at 205 since a fight with Trevor Prangley in 2006, there's a reason he's been rushed to the top of the mountain to battle one of the pound-for-pound's best fighters in the world. There's a gotta be a reason right?

Is it because it'll make good television? Will he produce come fight night and put Jones on his back, pummeling him with shots like he did Anderson Silva when they first met?

One thing is for certain Sonnen knows how to verbally rip off a band-aid when it comes to promoting fights. Maybe the UFC believes that same bravado will catapult the dying TUF show out of ratings hell.

Ever since TUF moved to FX, sadly, the show has been on a decline. The past few seasons, although delivering stunning battles in the octagon, haven't produced any real reality TV feuds (which draw new viewers in) since Junie Browning vs. everyone else on season eight.

Is Sonnen what the show needs to get the entertainment aspect back in the limelight so others will chat about it at the water cooler? Although Sonnen knows how to sell fights, it does seem sudden that he's been given a shot at Jones without proving he deserves one.

He has yet to fight a top five light heavyweight (he was scheduled to meet Forrest Griffin, but that fight has since been cancelled) and he's coming off a loss. Shouldn't he have to prove his worth just like any other contender that's looking to take the title away from the champion?

Right now it seems there are others in the light heavyweight division that are more deserving of a title shot over Sonnen (Alexander Gustafsson, Dan Henderson, Phil Davis to name a few). It makes me wonder if trash-talk and good television is just as important, if not more important, than winning fights.

Underground Blogger DeLeon DeMicoli writes and trains in San Francisco, CA.  He is currently writing a novel on Mixed Martial Arts.

If you or somebody you know trains in martial arts and has an interesting story they would like to share, please email deleon365@gmail.com

Follow Deleon on Twitter.com

10/16/12 11:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
catgobling
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/12 11:17 PM
now that they know we will pay to see spider fight subpar competition, will mismatches be the norm? the champs wont have to train so hard, meaning less cancelled events
10/16/12 11:45 PM
da Vinci 81
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"It makes me wonder if trash-talk and good television is just as important, if not more important, than winning fights"

Pretty sure that question just got answered.
10/17/12 12:00 AM
sgotwalks
1669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is everyone so quick to assume this will not be good competition? I heard all the same nonsense when the Silva/Chael fight was first made. What followed was the toughest fight of Anderson's UFC career. In the rematch Chael picked up right where he left off midway through the 5th of the first fight and dominated Silva for the majority of the round after putting him on his back again. He proved a lot of motherfuckers wrong whether they like to admit it or not. I just wonder, is it all of those same people talking the same bullshit again? I sure hope he talks up another spectacular game leading up to the fight, as I'm sure he will, then shuts a lot of people up with another surprising performance in a so-called can't win fight.

10/17/12 12:04 AM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

I wanna see the winner of Shogun/Gustafsson fight for the belt in April, not Chael.

10/17/12 12:13 AM
MMALOGIC

signing rampage to a new deal and having him coach against Chael would have made everyone happy.  you'd still get the ratings improvement and you'd get Jones fighting either the winner of shogun/gus or hendo/machia to keep the butthurt fans happy..

10/17/12 12:19 AM
judochopsuey

I guess fighters should take the WWE route and talk trash in order to get a title shot. I think Chael will be competitive against Jones but think its ridiculous that he is getting a shot at Jones. Thanks UFC for taking a page from vince macmahon. Doesn't get any stupider than this. Well maybe vera vs shogun as a title eliminator.
10/17/12 12:33 AM
Haulport

It's NOT "good tv"

That's why NO ONE is watching anymore. The ratings suck because of stupid shit like this. Who wants to see Jones on the shelf until fucking APRIL to fight a 185lbs guy who just got steamrolled by Anderson and looked like dog crap against Bisping?

Are you fucking kidding me???

So, no, it's not good tv. It's bad tv AND bad match making.

Zuffa is just failing at this point...................

10/17/12 12:42 AM
MMA6053
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a fan of Chael by any stretch but he is good in front of the lense with his humour and entertainment.

It will be good TV... just a fucking abysmal match up.
10/17/12 12:55 AM
shorebreaker420
1024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport -

It's NOT "good tv"

That's why NO ONE is watching anymore. The ratings suck because of stupid shit like this. Who wants to see Jones on the shelf until fucking APRIL to fight a 185lbs guy who just got steamrolled by Anderson and looked like dog crap against Bisping?

Are you fucking kidding me???

So, no, it's not good tv. It's bad tv AND bad match making.

Zuffa is just failing at this point...................

Your an idiot, jones out till around April either way pay attention ass wipe Phone Post
10/17/12 1:35 AM
stonepony

Chael is the only guy to challenge Anderson. It's stupid to think he's showing to fight Jones unprepared. Is he going to win? No probably not. But, he could give JJ his biggest challenge yet.
10/17/12 2:15 AM
Buffer720
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just know that Saturday night there were a million threads Saturday night about how Anderson can beat Jones at 205. Chael DOMINATED him for 4.637 rounds. To me this is a similar fight except jones has no where near the striking prowess. His precision isn't as precise , if you will lol. Chael could pull it off - i mean Belfort almost armbarred him a month ago. Yea it' a legit threat and serious fight. Hell yea it will be an insane season as coaches. And fuck yea it will create sensationalism and draw in BRAND NEW VIEWERS.

People that never heard of a fighter heard about SHALE SUNNIN making fun of Brasil and Anderson. This could be a win/win/when/Nguyen/Winn?

Yea i know mma math etc, but think about it. Phone Post
10/17/12 2:55 AM
Tardiolli

Lol at anyone saying Chael has a chance. No he doesn't. He has to play it perfectly in 5 rounds against this kid who has curbstomped LHW legends. Don't forget Chael's record at 205lbs is quite average at best. He has no KO power so forget any puncher's chance compared to other LHWs who actually deserve the shot.

It's a gimmie fight.

Anderson vs Bonnar, now this and I'm wondering what's next.
10/17/12 4:12 AM
Y2JB

TUF is a TV show and as such good TV is paramount, the fight will be fun as well even if the outcome is easy to predict.

The UFC is in the entertainment business as much as the fight business.
10/17/12 4:51 AM
Skip2MyLou
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUF moved to FX, not Fuel TV.
And their biggest TV feud was Rampage/Rashad rather than junie. Phone Post
10/17/12 9:33 AM
BlueOnBlack
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think an overhaul of TUF is what is needed, if not an outright cancellation. I still watch it but the formula has become predictable. The Jones x Sonnen season will no doubt bring in a few more viewers but it's a short term solution to a program that viewers have obviously begun to find stale.

At this point I'd rather see American Promoter or whatever that series was going to be called before they decided on TUF instead. Dana White's vlogs are great and if they tweaked those a bit for television it could be pretty entertaining.
10/17/12 9:52 AM
ShakeR_
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael WILL save the upcoming season of TUF; however, you can't book him for every season, so they better mix some other things if they want viewers coming back for future seasons.

In regards to the fight, JBJ is by far the more gifted fighter. He is also much more mentally weak. You can only imagine how deep Chael will be in Jones' head by the end of the show. Will it matter? Probably not. Phone Post
10/17/12 10:02 AM
UGCTT_Winnson
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's still entertainment. We watch it to be entertained.

This will be entertaining and I'm looking forward to it.

Kudos to Dana and the UFC.
10/18/12 4:50 AM
Sabaki
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will I be watching the new season of TUF with Jon and Chael - hell yeah!

Will I be watching the fight Jon vs Chael - dont think so.. nothing about this fight tickles my mind right now... Maybe a full season of TUF will change my mind but I honestly dont think so.. Jones vs Henderson I would definetly watcsh and also I would definetly watch Jones vs Machida II
10/18/12 4:55 AM
sgotwalks
1669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sabaki - Will I be watching the new season of TUF with Jon and Chael - hell yeah!

Will I be watching the fight Jon vs Chael - dont think so.. nothing about this fight tickles my mind right now... Maybe a full season of TUF will change my mind but I honestly dont think so.. Jones vs Henderson I would definetly watcsh and also I would definetly watch Jones vs Machida II

So you're all for the household pranks and drama, but when it comes time for the big boys to fight.........count you out?

10/18/12 2:11 PM
Sabaki
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sgotwalks - 
Sabaki - Will I be watching the new season of TUF with Jon and Chael - hell yeah!

So you're all for the household pranks and drama, but when it comes time for the big boys to fight.........count you out?

Thats not what I said.. I love watching TUF - seeing alot of both training and fights and how every fighter deals with injuries - the mental games etc...

However. If the coaches was Jones and Henderson then I sure would watch both the TUF and the Fight... THeir is nothing interesting about a fight between chael and jon - sorry to say this but in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM HAS Chael Sonnen earned a title shot against JONES in the 205 division...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.