UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Any idea what's going on with Young Justice?

10/16/12 9:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Silverback55
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why has Cartoon Network jerked this show all over the place? It only airs 2 or 3 episodes at a time then delays the rest for months on end.

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/257214071869423617

10/17/12 9:02 AM
paw
1541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not clear...and it's p!ssing us off!  ( http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=170&thread=2075286&page=1&pc=10 )

If I ever find something solid, I'll be sure and post it.  Oh and check the other thread, there's a link to the episode that should have aired 10/13.

10/17/12 9:16 AM
SamboMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because CN sucks.
10/18/12 10:37 AM
paw
1541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Update...sorta  (cross posted on the other thread as well...hope that's ok)

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/17/all-of-the-reasons-were-hearing-for-why-dc-nation-just-vanished/

There have been several people willing to talk, all of them anonymously. Pretty much everything I heard from one person was corroborated by another. So I’ve compiled it all. Even when it seems like overkill, or contradiction, none of this came from just one source.

Here are the theories, all of them posited as fact by sources of various standing. Treat them as rumours, but I know which ones I’d put my stock in.

1. Young Justice is the biggest problem

Young Justice characters like Static and Rocket were created as part of Milestone, the DC imprint designed to reset the balance of ethnic representation in comic books. I’m no expert on the ins and outs of it, but we’re hearing there’s a rights issue here, with extra royalties due for the use of these characters – and particularly in respect of them appearing on merchandise.

2. Nobody is buying any toys

Talking of merch, there are some voices telling us that these shows just weren’t shifting enough of the ancillary tie-ins, and this also had a knock-on effect on the value of advertising slots. If the Green Lantern toys were flying off the shelves, it would make sense to remind the kids they exist before, during and after every episode; seeing as they’re not, the ad would be pretty much a waste of dollars.

This is particularly problematic in the run up to December where Cartoon Network want to offer their gung-ho ‘Holiday’ advertisers the kind of slots they want – and, apparently, they don’t want slots during DC Nation.

3. Production delays

The block was running out of “shorts” and “extras” and was essentially going to turn into just Young Justice and Green Lantern back to back, so the idea of a DC-themed hour that gave space lots of their different properties was waning. By holding fire until January, the whole package will be complete again, maximising its value as overall DC branding.

4. Cartoon Network and WB had a falling out over future shows

Work on Beware the Batman was not pleasing Cartoon Network, and an unannounced Justice League show wasn’t cutting it either, so the partnership started to disagree about future directions. Rather than plough on, they’ve decided to burn off the episodes so far produced, dissolve the block and deal with each future DC-themed show on an ad-hoc, one-by-one basis.

So there’s a lot of chatter going on about DC Nation, but still no official statement about what will happen in January or beyond. We’ll keep digging. Expect to hear more about at least two of the above notions in the coming days.

10/18/12 11:43 AM
SamboMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw - 

Update...sorta  (cross posted on the other thread as well...hope that's ok)

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/17/all-of-the-reasons-were-hearing-for-why-dc-nation-just-vanished/

There have been several people willing to talk, all of them anonymously. Pretty much everything I heard from one person was corroborated by another. So I’ve compiled it all. Even when it seems like overkill, or contradiction, none of this came from just one source.

Here are the theories, all of them posited as fact by sources of various standing. Treat them as rumours, but I know which ones I’d put my stock in.

1. Young Justice is the biggest problem

Young Justice characters like Static and Rocket were created as part of Milestone, the DC imprint designed to reset the balance of ethnic representation in comic books. I’m no expert on the ins and outs of it, but we’re hearing there’s a rights issue here, with extra royalties due for the use of these characters – and particularly in respect of them appearing on merchandise.

2. Nobody is buying any toys

Talking of merch, there are some voices telling us that these shows just weren’t shifting enough of the ancillary tie-ins, and this also had a knock-on effect on the value of advertising slots. If the Green Lantern toys were flying off the shelves, it would make sense to remind the kids they exist before, during and after every episode; seeing as they’re not, the ad would be pretty much a waste of dollars.

This is particularly problematic in the run up to December where Cartoon Network want to offer their gung-ho ‘Holiday’ advertisers the kind of slots they want – and, apparently, they don’t want slots during DC Nation.

3. Production delays

The block was running out of “shorts” and “extras” and was essentially going to turn into just Young Justice and Green Lantern back to back, so the idea of a DC-themed hour that gave space lots of their different properties was waning. By holding fire until January, the whole package will be complete again, maximising its value as overall DC branding.

4. Cartoon Network and WB had a falling out over future shows

Work on Beware the Batman was not pleasing Cartoon Network, and an unannounced Justice League show wasn’t cutting it either, so the partnership started to disagree about future directions. Rather than plough on, they’ve decided to burn off the episodes so far produced, dissolve the block and deal with each future DC-themed show on an ad-hoc, one-by-one basis.

So there’s a lot of chatter going on about DC Nation, but still no official statement about what will happen in January or beyond. We’ll keep digging. Expect to hear more about at least two of the above notions in the coming days.

Can the Milestone characters really be that much of a problem? Icon and Rocket have only been in a couple of episodes here and there [Rocket's last appearance was the Girls Night Out Bridal Shower scene] Static really hasn't been named and he hasn't used his powers. At this point he's just Generic Black Kid who happens to have Dreadlocks.
10/18/12 12:32 PM
phydeau
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn. I've said for years that Marvel has better movies, but DC had better animation. I was really digging Young Justice, and was waiting for the new season.

sigh....
10/19/12 9:29 PM
Silverback55
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the update. I haven't been this excited about a DC show since JLU , and it's frustrating to watch it get dumped on by a network. You'd think I'd be used to it after Firefly and Arrested Development.

10/19/12 10:51 PM
The Elastic Assassin
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

young justice is wicked awesome....period....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.