UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Trainer: Chael had no idea; biggest fight ever

10/17/12 10:08 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Tuesday night Lance Pugmire from LATimes.com announced that UFC Lightheavyweight champion Jon Jones would face challenger Chael Sonnen on April 27, 2013, following a season as opposing coaches on the 17th season of The Ultimate Fighter.

Initial fan reaction was split, not so much from fan to fan as within each fan - most people thought simultaneously that A. It would be a highly entertaining series, and B. Who did Sonnen beat to earn a shot at the Lightheavyweight title?

Among the surprised was Chael Sonnen, according to his trainer.

"It was a surprise to me," Sonnen's head trainer Scott McQuary told Bleacher Report."And I just talked to Chael a few minutes ago and it was a surprise to him too. I had just walked out of the movie Here Comes The Boom, and one of my students left me a message saying call me right now, Chael's made The Ultimate Fighter.

"I called him and he's like 'yea, I just found out myself. I didn't know. We had no idea this offer was going to be on the table.'"

"We had just started our training for him (Griffin) last week. Chael's been fairly consistent with his training, but we hadn't been 100 percent focused until this last week. Cheal told me a contract was signed, so we felt up until this morning, the fight was happening."

"I think Chael deserves this opportunity because he's the best there is out there. He puts butts in the seats. It has to be a combination of putting the two best people together who actually draw the biggest crowd."

"I think with the buildup, The Ultimate Fighter and everything that goes with what I've seen with TUF, I think this will be promoted in such a way. The UFC has a long time to get this promoted and built up. I think this will be the biggest fight in history."

"I anticipate that it will be (best TUF season). I think you are going to get more people watching than ever, that's for sure. I mean you have two of the biggest personalities in MMA, well at least one of them, who is definitely going to speak what's on his mind."

Read entire article...

10/17/12 10:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
forrestfan
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this will be the biggest fight in history.

no you don't.
10/17/12 10:36 AM
caposa
1590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The biggest fight in history will not involve a failed middleweight coming off a TKO loss with 12 losses on his record. Chael better get busy sifting through old WWF tapes right now looking for one liners to steal, there's only so many times you can use the biggest arms/biggest charm line.

10/17/12 10:39 AM
RickStorm
1628 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Fight_Addict - (edited)

You logged into a 2nd account just to say that..

10/17/12 10:50 AM
bram
1023 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tex Ladue - It has the potential to be a huge fight, maybe the biggest, depending on the rest of the card and the venue.

Remember guys Sonnen's only losses in five years have come at the hands of the best pound for pound fighter on the planet,
which he won 5-7 rounds against not that bad IMO.

To say he doesn't have a chance is ridiculous.

This. I also am excited to see Bones against a real wrestler (no disrespect to Rashad or Bader) who will get in your face and make you work your butt off. I agree that Sonnen certainly has a chance.
10/17/12 10:54 AM
Ludelow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, what his trainer is saying the UFC did not honor the contract him fighting Griffin?
donwhill for the UFC if they are feeding contract to the shredder!
10/17/12 10:57 AM
TzTinkle
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're delusional bram...chael is a great wrestler but he is a middleweight. We've seen what jones did to a massive Bader, it's going to be much worse for chael. What a waste of a fight.
10/17/12 11:32 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
809 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

forrestfan - 
I think this will be the biggest fight in history.

no you don't.

10/17/12 11:33 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
809 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - 
Fight_Addict - (edited)

You logged into a 2nd account just to say that..

Here came the BOOM

10/17/12 11:40 AM
Harmon Whistler
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Remember guys Sonnen's only losses in five years have come at the hands of the best pound for pound fighter on the planet"

.... and Maia.. and Filho

all finishes
10/17/12 11:44 AM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sonnen has slim to none, I think Bones is too strong and well trained to be taken down and put in any trouble. Phone Post
10/17/12 12:29 PM
YousHerName

I call bullshit. Chael plugged in calling jones out on UFC tonight a few days back and I was like wtf was that and now all makes sense Phone Post
10/17/12 12:31 PM
hurricanehugo

Sonnen is dead man walking.
10/17/12 1:09 PM
SunnyKO'd my SN
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/17/12 1:11 PM

Hahaha, "biggest fight in the history". That's just swell.

What advantages does Chael actually bring to this fight?

Size? hmm no.
Reach? lolno.
Wrestling? Absolutely not.
Striking? Omfg, you're killing me with these jokes

Seriously, this is a comical mismatch, and has NO value for the sport whatsoever, the only ones who like this fight are Chael, because he's gonna make another couple of millions, Dana/Zuffa, because he wants a bump in the TUF-viewership, and nobody else.

All the other fighters are shaking their heads in disbelief, and I am sure Jon Jones is as well, as are a lot of the fans.

Chael isn't even a 205'er. He isn't even RANKED in that division, he hasn't FOUGHT anybody in that division. He is also coming off a LOSS.

And Zuffa knows that, they just eye dollars. I for one, will NOT be watching TUF (I never do though), and I will not be paying for the fight.

No sense in griping about it though, the decision has been made, I don't control the matchups, I just think this is a big joke. There are still other great fights to be made.

10/17/12 1:36 PM
le

Sonnen has the same chance Bonnar had against Silva. Telling yourself otherwise just because you might like Chael is foolish. Phone Post
10/17/12 1:57 PM
Mike Litoris
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ultimate fighter is going to go like this.

Chael talks some shit, and then gets KTFO'D when they fight. Then he takes back all the shit he said when interviewed by Rogan. Phone Post
10/17/12 7:17 PM
SQUEEZIE

TzTinkle - You're delusional bram...chael is a great wrestler but he is a middleweight. We've seen what jones did to a massive Bader, it's going to be much worse for chael. What a waste of a fight.

vlad and jake solid solid wrestlers too. that british dude made it difficult to take him down and took chael down. even damien tossed him on his head.
10/17/12 7:21 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Is this the same head trainer that just got pinched for some sort of fraud?

If so his words here are fitting...lol

10/17/12 8:12 PM
SonofJockstrap
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harmon Whistler - "Remember guys Sonnen's only losses in five years have come at the hands of the best pound for pound fighter on the planet"

.... and Maia.. and Filho

all finishes

Filho was #1 or #2 at middleweight depending on who you asked and the finish was disputable. Sonnen also defeated him 2 fights later.

Maia went on to face the champion 3 fights later.

Sonnen's losses in the last 5 years are all quality losses, so are his wins.

10/17/12 8:33 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Edited: 10/17/12 8:34 PM
SonofJockstrap - 

Filho was #1 or #2 at middleweight depending on who you asked and the finish was disputable. Sonnen also defeated him 2 fights later.

Maia went on to face the champion 3 fights later.

Sonnen's losses in the last 5 years are all quality losses, so are his wins.

10/17/12 9:38 PM
Fabefromfort

NO NO NO. Do NOT BUY THIS FIGHT. IT WILL ONLY MAKE THEM SEND US MORE SHIT DOWN THE ROAD.ESPECIALLY IF YOU KEEP PAYING FOR SHIT LIKE THIS ! We want fights. Weidman-Silva, Jones=Silva, Jones-Weidman..anything that'll be competitive. I want to see fights..not washouts. I am officially boycotting until such time as you put a fight up.
10/17/12 10:12 PM
mugatu
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im not thrilled with this decision. Why isn't Gustaffson in the conversation for a title shot?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.