UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Notes/Summary of Frank Shamrock's Book

10/21/12 10:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HELWIG
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That homosexual Craig Biggio he took couldnt have been worth it.

10/21/12 11:10 PM
overEZ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
10/21/12 11:16 PM
carcaju
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool read.
10/21/12 11:19 PM
Datguy

TTT Phone Post
10/21/12 11:24 PM
cdmontgo
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Bob and Ken removed Frank from their lives because he wanted to change the way which he and the other guys at the Lion's Den train and they didn't think he would ever be a champion???

There has to be more to the story. Even if Ken (and Frank) were being childish, you would think Bob would have been enough of an adult to support them both.
10/21/12 11:58 PM
RocketSkates
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
10/22/12 12:24 AM
Lukaplakia14

Interesting

10/22/12 12:30 AM
DukeIsh
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read so far Phone Post
10/22/12 9:48 AM
Soup Nazi
1115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Woah. I've got to get a copy now.

10/22/12 9:52 AM
GladiatorGannon
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cdmontgo - So Bob and Ken removed Frank from their lives because he wanted to change the way which he and the other guys at the Lion's Den train and they didn't think he would ever be a champion???

There has to be more to the story. Even if Ken (and Frank) were being childish, you would think Bob would have been enough of an adult to support them both.

The way a camp is run is actually a major, major issue.
10/22/12 1:00 PM
Bobby Lupo
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone TTT the lions den tryout thread and you'll see what Gannon is talking about Phone Post
10/22/12 1:09 PM
cdmontgo
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon - 
cdmontgo - So Bob and Ken removed Frank from their lives because he wanted to change the way which he and the other guys at the Lion's Den train and they didn't think he would ever be a champion???

Right, but that's a "go train somewhere else" issue, not an "you're out of the family" issue. Maybe send some training partners his way when he has a fight coming up.
10/22/12 5:29 PM
Dongbar
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ch. 10 Going Hollywood

Frank made the decision that he'd move to LA to become a star acting in TV and movies. Two weeks after the move he got his first gig in Walker, Texas Ranger. He describes the shoot in great detail. He also talked about his Burger King commercial.

The talk about the relationship problems he was having with his wife Angelina. She basically wanted to become a star and was using Frank as a starting point. She also liked shopping and spending money.

Frank talks about doing an episode of Oz along with fight fan and show regular Chuck Zito. He also briefly mentions a film called No Rules he had worked on with Pam Anderson's brother Gerry. Randy Couture also had a role in the film. Frank thought it was awful and it was never released in the US, because Zuffa threatened to sue over use of the Octagon. He also mentions forgoing a National Old Spice commercial to do some commentating for the UFC.

He then details a fight with Angelina where he went to go work out to blow off some steam afterwards. When he came home she was dressed in business attire and flat out told him she emptied his bank account, about $180K. In divorce court she said she ended up spending $160k of it, and she wanted more money to live on.

Frank talks about pursing a relationship with a woman he had met years earlier, who also happened to be his chiropractor's sister. He also talks about how he kept in contact with his first child Frankie and how flakey his mom was.

The acting gig was working out as well as he thought, so he decided to return to fighting. He goes on to talk about his K-1 fight with Elvis Sinosec. Frank talks about a shoulder injury he suffered in the training leading up to that fight and the guy Javier Mendez insisted he see to work on it. He then talks about the deal he struck with the Yakuza to start up an MMA league, and details how that fell through because there was no real money to back it. He talks about training at AKA and doing some pro wrestling matches. He talked about the state of MMA in the early 2000s and the uphill battle he was facing. He talks about starting up his promotion called Shootbox.
10/22/12 7:06 PM
Hunter V
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cdmontgo - 
GladiatorGannon - 

Right, but that's a "go train somewhere else" issue, not an "you're out of the family" issue. Maybe send some training partners his way when he has a fight coming up.

oh that type of thing def happens. Look at Floyd Mayweather's relationship with his father for example during training camps, there is a reason his uncle corners him now and NOT his father.
10/22/12 7:19 PM
Kneeblock
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 

I can't say for certain that Shamrock had the modern skills to compete with today's elite grapplers in pure grappling because there are virtually no videos of Shamrock rolling with people in the late 90s. However, everybody who rolled with him came away gushing over how good he was, and I suspect he can at the very least hold his own with the elite grapplers because of his ridiculous gorilla strength, good wrestling, and great athleticism, combined with a very good understanding of submission.

I do know that he got significantly better after losing to Royce at UFC 1. Ken had only been training submission for three years while Royce had been training submission since he was 7. For a BJJ comparison, three years of training is generally equal to a high blue belt/low purple belt. After UFC 1, Ken and Funaki went to train with JJ Machado, and by the late 90s, Ken had been training in submission for as long as most black belts (7-8 years). So, comparing Ken at UFC 1 to Ken later in his career isn't really fair.

I wouldn't say "went to train with JJ Machado." They went there once, maybe twice, got tapped in the gi and left.

10/22/12 7:34 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kneeblock -
Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 

I can't say for certain that Shamrock had the modern skills to compete with today's elite grapplers in pure grappling because there are virtually no videos of Shamrock rolling with people in the late 90s. However, everybody who rolled with him came away gushing over how good he was, and I suspect he can at the very least hold his own with the elite grapplers because of his ridiculous gorilla strength, good wrestling, and great athleticism, combined with a very good understanding of submission.

I do know that he got significantly better after losing to Royce at UFC 1. Ken had only been training submission for three years while Royce had been training submission since he was 7. For a BJJ comparison, three years of training is generally equal to a high blue belt/low purple belt. After UFC 1, Ken and Funaki went to train with JJ Machado, and by the late 90s, Ken had been training in submission for as long as most black belts (7-8 years). So, comparing Ken at UFC 1 to Ken later in his career isn't really fair.

I wouldn't say "went to train with JJ Machado." They went there once, maybe twice, got tapped in the gi and left.

Well, I don't really see what is factually wrong about "they went to train with JJ Machado"; I didn't mean they went there full time (if it came across that way, I apologize). The account I heard was that they went there to learn primarily how the gi works and how to defend attacks from a person wearing a gi. They rolled with the gi on and got tooled, but they also rolled without the gi and, from what I read, held their own without the gi on. Phone Post
10/22/12 7:58 PM
demonbasketball04
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PAGE 7 /bookmark
10/22/12 8:02 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - Someone TTT the lions den tryout thread and you'll see what Gannon is talking about Phone Post
Yes Phone Post
10/23/12 7:59 PM
FatFrenchFry
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrCutter - 
Bobby Lupo - Someone TTT the lions den tryout thread and you'll see what Gannon is talking about Phone Post
Yes Phone Post

10/23/12 10:44 PM
FingerorMoon
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon - 

Ken Shamrock has never really contradicted this story, has he?

10/23/12 11:39 PM
GladiatorGannon
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/23/12 11:39 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 

Sean, I value your opinion...

Likewise
10/24/12 2:33 AM
rundymc

Hessian - 
UGCTT_EnderTL - 
Hessian -
UGCTT_LnPninja - 

Is it really doing Frank any type of service by posting such vivid "summaries" of his book?

How is this helping sales?

I would never have bought the book but am considering it now. Phone Post

Thus is life, being wrong can be a daily thing.

Although I do not agree with select books being discussed and others are off limits.

People put lots of time into books and it is a shame that everything is laid out for free.

Sam Sheridan has a new book coming out, will it be acceptable to wreck all of his time and effort as well?

A overview is one thing but when you recap everything in every chapter you might as well go to Frank's house and steal everything in his sock drawer.

I would have never bought this book. I am, at the very least, considering it now, as I'm sure are many others reading this thread.

In a lot of ways, this is free publicity for Frank.

Good with the bad I suppose.
10/24/12 3:04 AM
Juijitsuboxer
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/24/12 3:54 AM
INDK
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll buy it Phone Post
10/24/12 9:16 AM
JKDude
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great thread. I can't remember the last time I
heard a mma star talk about man-on-man dick sucking.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.