UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> FX Exec: TUF moving to another night

10/17/12 4:20 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Today on a media call to announce the casting of Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen as coaches for the next Ultimate Fighter, an executive from the FX network, Chuck Safter, revealed that the show will move to another day of the week.

The show has been broadcast on Fridays for the first two seasons on FX, but ratings have been lower than expected. The actual  new day the show will broadcast is expected to be announced in the next thirty to forty-five days.

Safter warned that Spike better 'watch it's ass' and they expect good ratings for the best casted TUF ever. It is likely that a better time slot and the casting of Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen will most certainly increase the ratings.

10/17/12 4:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
12SixElbow
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lower than expected?

They thought 18 - 35  year old males were all going to stay home every Friday night?

I'd be curious to see what shows do well on Friday nights.

10/17/12 4:23 PM
Rookie Fighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

Lower than expected?

They thought 18 - 35  year old males were all going to stay home every Friday night?

They probably put it on Fridays on purpose to get some kind of ratings out of Fridays Phone Post
10/17/12 4:25 PM
UGCTT_rkilla
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/17/12 4:25 PM

Tuesdays, 9 or 10PM imo

Take the place of Sons of Anarchy (when the season ends) or whatever comes on before it 

Chris27

Good news, guessing Tues at 11pm will be the day. Following Justified and then following Sons of Anarchy in Sept.

Both those shows do millions of viewers so maybe the feel some of them will stick around plus the 18-35 year old males are home on Tues because they have school or work.
funk samurai

RIP Spuke TV
10/17/12 4:26 PM
funk samurai

Edited: 10/17/12 4:26 PM
double post
10/17/12 4:26 PM
louden swain
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We obviously know by now that you can't always believe Dana for what he says..

Furst he says that in no way was this fight made due to horrible TUF ratings, yet FX has decided to move the show to another night...

TUF was on the chopping block unless they delivered big...Hence Sonnen / Jones...
10/17/12 4:28 PM
Chris27

UGCTT_rkilla - 

Tuesdays, 9 or 10PM imo

Take the place of Sons of Anarchy (when the season ends) or whatever comes on before it 

Wrong, Justified will be coming back.

Bet on it right now, Jan 17 at 11pm will be the day TUF debuts.

Bet on it. Thats the day Justified season 4 returns, TUf will follow it at 11pm and then in the fall in Sept they will follow Sons of Anarchy.

10/17/12 4:28 PM
muppetsbungalowedbeyatch
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rookie Fighter - 
12SixElbow -

Lower than expected?

They probably put it on Fridays on purpose to get some kind of ratings out of Fridays Phone Post

Makes sense why they might try that, but it obviously didnt work
10/17/12 4:32 PM
UGCTT_rkilla
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/17/12 4:37 PM
Chris27 - 
UGCTT_rkilla - 

Tuesdays, 9 or 10PM imo

Wrong, Justified will be coming back.

Bet on it right now, Jan 17 at 11pm will be the day TUF debuts.

Bet on it. Thats the day Justified season 4 returns, TUf will follow it at 11pm and then in the fall in Sept they will follow Sons of Anarchy.

Nothing is set in stone, so I'm just guessing. I also completely forgot about Justified, I honestly thought it was canceled :). I'm not sure why they would throw it on at 11, but I guess it makes sense.

10/17/12 4:35 PM
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good news.

10/17/12 4:52 PM
time traveling 12er
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

louden swain - We obviously know by now that you can't always believe Dana for what he says..

Furst he says that in no way was this fight made due to horrible TUF ratings, yet FX has decided to move the show to another night...

TUF was on the chopping block unless they delivered big...Hence Sonnen / Jones...

Friday is the day you move shows to that are on the chopping block. Shows you want to cut don't get moved to a better time slot. From the looks of things FX thought they may be able to fill in the Friday dead zone with something new and the low ratings aren't working for the UFC. The low ratings vs the Spike years doesn't mean anything since FX has different goals and thresholds for success.

The numbers for a hit on friday nights on a smaller network are very different than the expected numbers for a hit on tuesday nights for a channel that has more coverage. You also have to consider how much cheaper reality shows are in comparison to just about any other original programming before you start thinking about how far the show is from being cancelled.
10/17/12 4:54 PM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh so Friday is the problem now?

Good god the UFC is flipflopping liket trout lately

10/17/12 5:06 PM
Nexuscrawlers
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funk samurai - RIP Spuke TV
This is what I don't get. With Bellator being on Fridays (and already getting only 1/6th of TUF's ratings), how is moving to a different night going to hurt Spike? Wouldn't it just boost both show's ratings because they wouldn't be competing for the same time slot? what am I missing? Phone Post
10/17/12 5:11 PM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so fx exec claims its the best casted tuf ever simply based off of jones & sonnen?..

what about the *actual* cast of fighters competing on the show?.. Afterall, TUF was supposed to be about these guys first and the coaches fight second.

The whole TUF concept is stale and viewers know it. Sure FX will see a slight increase in viewers moving to different time and sonnen v jones.
But this doesn't solve the main problem down the road of it still being stale product which hasn't really produced any championship contenders in a long time. Phone Post
10/17/12 5:26 PM
Chris27

ChaosOverkill - 

Oh so Friday is the problem now?

Good god the UFC is flipflopping liket trout lately

UFC never wanted it on Fridays, FX did. Plus everyone, every journalist, site and fan thought from the jump Fridays were a bad idea, only mmalogic thought it was a good idea and they coudl make it work and he jumped off that idea real quick.

Friday was always the main problem. People saying its stale or coaches, that may be true but they've had stale and shit seasons before on Spike and they still did 1.5 mill viewers.

Yes changing networks and not getting the level of promotion they got on Spike hurts but the main difference between FX and Spike TUFs are Friday nights. If they do this and it doesnt work then the show is dead but right now you have to believe Friday nights are the main reason the show isnt doing well.
10/17/12 5:31 PM
Ironhouse
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/17/12 5:32 PM
So much for how happy FX is with the ratings in that time slot.

I feel like I just watched the GnR video for Nov Rain for the first time again...once I saw that I knew GnR was no longer real, they were another over done corporate money grab.

Hendo vs GSP vs JDS in a octagon ladder match DFW make it happen, HUGE ratings, HUGE merch sales!
10/17/12 5:35 PM
Pancake Syrup
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11pm seems sort of late just to watch a lame reality show
10/17/12 5:40 PM
UGCTT_BlahBreh
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pancake Syrup - 11pm seems sort of late just to watch a lame reality show

this.

def. wont be 11pm.
10/17/12 6:24 PM
Letibleu
1611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rookie Fighter - 
12SixElbow -

Lower than expected?

Murder She Wrote with Angela Lansbury
10/17/12 6:45 PM
MostLegit
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"the sky is falling" posters making TUF getting a better time slot out to be a bad thing are grasping for straws. Ratings are bad. Seems like they made two step effort to improve them. TUF isn't great but does create relatable fighters, and I appreciate that. I don't watch every season, but I'll watch the next one. Especially if its in a better time slot. Shame the belt is on hold, but if the JBJ arm rehab stories are true, than maybe he would have needed the time anyway. Though April does seem excessive for rehab if TUF wasn't happening. Phone Post
10/17/12 7:03 PM
luctaro
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

armbarheelhook -  so fx exec claims its the best casted tuf ever simply based off of jones & sonnen?..

what about the *actual* cast of fighters competing on the show?.. Afterall, TUF was supposed to be about these guys first and the coaches fight second.

The whole TUF concept is stale and viewers know it. Sure FX will see a slight increase in viewers moving to different time and sonnen v jones.
But this doesn't solve the main problem down the road of it still being stale product which hasn't really produced any championship contenders in a long time. Phone Post

"what about the *actual* cast of fighters competing on the show?.. Afterall, TUF was supposed to be about these guys first and the coaches fight second."

wut?

TUF has always been about promoting the coaches fight, the talent comes second.
10/17/12 7:07 PM
easedel

LOL @ this after just reading the Jones Sonnen fight wasn't to boost TUF ratings and TUF was doing what it was supposed to do.
10/17/12 7:08 PM
Tap In
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funk samurai - RIP Spuke TV

What a parrot

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.