UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What is the best lifting routine for strength?

10/17/12 6:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it 5/3/1? RPT? 5x5? I've been doing rpt (reverse pyramid training) and it has been helping my lifts quite a bit. My deadlift has gone up by about 25 pounds already. My military press has gone up 10 pounds. Idk about my squat because I don't have a spotter so I don't max out. The only thing is, my bench press has only gone up about 5 pounds since. I've been at it for a month so far. Am I wasting my time? What better routines are out there? Btw, I focus mainly on compound lifts with some supplemental exercises for each muscle. Phone Post
10/17/12 7:23 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
10/17/12 7:29 PM
Ninja mon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look up Westside barbell. That's what they're all about. They have a dynamic day and strength day in their routines. THat's what I've been focusing on a lot lately.
10/17/12 9:40 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

Ninja mon - Look up Westside barbell. That's what they're all about. They have a dynamic day and strength day in their routines. THat's what I've been focusing on a lot lately.
Will do. Phone Post
10/18/12 11:15 AM
jeremy hamilton
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best one is the one where you lift heavy weights in the area and range of motion that you want to be stronger in and it follows the rules of progression and overload. I can't remember the name of the program though.
10/18/12 12:37 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL...AGREE 100% with THIS ^^^^

TAKU

10/18/12 2:20 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

jeremy hamilton - The best one is the one where you lift heavy weights in the area and range of motion that you want to be stronger in and it follows the rules of progression and overload. I can't remember the name of the program though.
Lol awesome response man. Phone Post
10/18/12 5:51 PM
Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here you go this routine should help you out

Monday: Guns

Dumbell Concentration Curls (3 sets of 12-15)

Preacher Curls with EZ-Curl Bar (3 sets of 12-15): I try to keep my range of motion to just the top 1/3 of the lift because it really helps me feel the burn.

Cable Curls with EZ-Curl Cable Handle (3 sets of 8-12): This is my main mass builder that I hit after I’ve already worked on shape.

Alternating Dumbell Curls on 60 Degree Incline Bench, Supinating Hands: (3 sets of 8-12): Another mass monster. These really work my lower bicep!

Tricep Kickbacks (3 sets of 15-20): ‘nuff said

Rope Pushdowns (3 sets of 12-15): The key here is to pull your hands apart at the bottom. If you can’t feel the burn with these, then there’s something wrong. These hit the “horseshoe” that the ladies salivate over.

Cable French Press Machine (3 sets of 8-12) Killer for size. These’ll put slabs of meat on the backs of your arms. Great for the long head of the tricep.

Close Grip Burnouts: (3 sets of ???): This is an excellent finisher. Just grab a barbell, or better yet, an EZ-Curl bar, and rep out, baby. No need to add any weight (maybe nickels if you’re using an EZ-Curl Bar) – just hit it for as many reps as you can muster. If you have a spotter, finish the set with 10 negatives. Have her lift the bar off your chest… you just lower it as slow as you can. Your girlfriend can thank me later for this one.

Tuesday: Pecs

After guns, pecs is the second most important muscle group. It consists of three different muscles, the upper pecs, the lower pecs and the middle or main pecs.

Incline Smith Machine Press (3 sets of 10-12): This works the upper pecs really well. It’s important to always start with inclines. Some guys work the flat stuff first, but upper pecs are what really draw attention. When you’re wearing a tight t-shirt, the upper pec’s are what really give your chest that “pop”.

Flat Smith Machine Press (3 sets of 10-12): Not much to say here. Use a weight that lets you get 8-9 reps, then have your spotter help you with a couple forced reps, then a couple negatives. Can you say “burn”?

Decline flyes (3 sets of 15-20): I don’t really like using dumbbells because, truthfully, they’re often a recipe for injury. It’s best to lock in your range of motion with a machine of some sort, but sometimes, the flyes machine doesn’t let you raise the seat enough to make it a true decline. Just be sure to use light weight on these. The idea is to control it and really squeeze your lower pecs together at the top. You know you’ve been doing good on these when you can grasp a ten pound plate with your meavage (male cleavage).

Flye Machine (3 sets of 12-15): You can go a little heavier on these because it’s a machine, but still keep it relatively light. This is a good shaper for the main pecs.

Cable Crossovers (1 set of ???): That’s right… burn it out. Every workout should end with a burnout set. It gets your metabolism going. If you want to be shredded, take my advice.

Wednesday: Guns

Repeat Monday or some variation of. As we talked about, guns are the strongest, most important muscle group and for that reason, they can tolerate more work than the others.

Thursday: Deltoids

Giant Set (3-way superset), side cable laterals, rear cable laterals, front raises with a plate (3 sets of 12-15 each): You want cannonball delts? This is how to get it done. Make sure to change the setup on the cable machine between subsets 1 and 2 as quickly as possible. You want this to be one continuous set for the best pump.

If you do your giant set the right way, you really don’t need to do anything more for delts. If you want, you can do a little bit of Smith Machine work, but make sure not to overtrain. If you get too much lactic acid in your muscles, it can disintegrate the fibers. Maybe just one burnout set with no weight.

Friday: Lats and Quads

No one really sees these muscles, so you definitely want to work them at the end of the week. If you live in a warmer climate and have your shirt off a lot, you may want to hit your lats a little harder than most.

Lats:

Wide Grip, Behind the Neck Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): These give you the V-shape. The wider you can grip the bar, the wider your V will be. It’s fact and has been written about in a lot of articles. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, bitches, it’s Lat-man.

Front Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): Again, think wide!

Machine Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12, 1 burnout): Hopefully, your club has one of these Hammer Strength machines cuz it’s the BOMB!

Quads:

Be careful here. You don’t want big tree trunk legs. You’ve got to hit these just enough to bring out the tear drop and, if you’re lucky, maybe a few striations.

Leg extensions (5 sets of 15-20, 1 burnout): Keep the reps high for maximum pain. You’ll notice I put these down for 5 sets. Just concentrate on these. Most other leg exercises will make you too bulky, and jeans for big legged guys are hard to find, right, fellas? By all means, DO NOT squat unless you want to end up in a wheelchair with your knee muscles all torn up.

Leg curls (3 sets of 15-20): These work the back of your quads. A lot of people don’t bother with them, but it’s a little known fact that you can get striations in the back of your quads, too. Just keep it light to work on shape.

Everyday: Abs

Crunches on a ball (5 sets of 100): Get a ball at home so you can dedicate some time to shredding up your abs. Every other set, go side to side so you hit your intercostals and serratus.
10/18/12 7:13 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton - The best one is the one where you lift heavy weights in the area and range of motion that you want to be stronger in and it follows the rules of progression and overload. I can't remember the name of the program though.
Serious question. What do you mean by overload. Phone Post
10/19/12 12:00 AM
turducken

it depends on how experienced of a lifter you are and what your individual body responds to. some people make great progress on 5x5, some on 3x5, some on 8x3, some on 4x6, some make great progress resting 2 mins between sets, some rest 5 mins, etc.

if you are continuing to lift heavier weight and/or more reps, then your program works. if you are not progressing, then it doesnt work.
10/19/12 2:08 AM
Bry Bry

^^it really is basically that simple..if you are getting stronger, your program works, stick with it until u hit a wall, then change up..
10/19/12 9:25 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best routine is the one you actually follow. I know quite a few people who spend more time writing and modifying their programs than they do training. If you bust your ass you can have great results from a poor program. And if you dont, you can have poor results from a great program.
10/19/12 10:50 AM
jeremy hamilton
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dc1000 - 

If you do not overload your muscles with more work than they currently do then you wont get the response that you want. Meaning, they wont be forced to get stronger.

If you only ever lift 100lbs for 3 sets of 10 then that is the demand that you are putting on your body, you will not get any stronger than that.

Adding 5 lbs, adding another set, instead of 3x10@100 you do 5x8@100 these are a few of many ways to overload.

Does this answer your question?
10/19/12 5:44 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton -
dc1000 - 

If you do not overload your muscles with more work than they currently do then you wont get the response that you want. Meaning, they wont be forced to get stronger.

If you only ever lift 100lbs for 3 sets of 10 then that is the demand that you are putting on your body, you will not get any stronger than that.

Adding 5 lbs, adding another set, instead of 3x10@100 you do 5x8@100 these are a few of many ways to overload.

Does this answer your question?
Ok so just trying to go up or add more work. Thanks. Thought it was some other technique I didn't know about Phone Post
10/20/12 12:18 AM
gusto

it sometimes gets shit on for not being perfect

but beyond brawn really helped me when i was in my early 20s

first time i gained some real muscle and moved some decent weight (for me) was doing some of the programs in that book
10/21/12 6:56 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

Taku or Leigh: I just tried maxing out on bench today and it still is the exact same as it was when I started. I've hit a wall. How can I get past it? It's frustrating, i've been using RPT for 5 weeks now and it hasn't done shit for my bench press. If you guys have any helpful advice it'd be great. Phone Post
10/21/12 6:56 PM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache

gusto - it sometimes gets shit on for not being perfect

but beyond brawn really helped me when i was in my early 20s

first time i gained some real muscle and moved some decent weight (for me) was doing some of the programs in that book
I'll check this out. Phone Post
10/21/12 9:02 PM
None So Blind
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache -  Taku or Leigh: I just tried maxing out on bench today and it still is the exact same as it was when I started. I've hit a wall. How can I get past it? It's frustrating, i've been using RPT for 5 weeks now and it hasn't done shit for my bench press. If you guys have any helpful advice it'd be great. Phone Post

Here are some ideas, most should apply even if you aren't doing Rippetoe's program.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Stalling.2C_Resetting_and_Progressing
10/22/12 12:09 AM
sxnieves

Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla - Here you go this routine should help you out

Monday: Guns

Dumbell Concentration Curls (3 sets of 12-15)

Preacher Curls with EZ-Curl Bar (3 sets of 12-15): I try to keep my range of motion to just the top 1/3 of the lift because it really helps me feel the burn.

Cable Curls with EZ-Curl Cable Handle (3 sets of 8-12): This is my main mass builder that I hit after I’ve already worked on shape.

Alternating Dumbell Curls on 60 Degree Incline Bench, Supinating Hands: (3 sets of 8-12): Another mass monster. These really work my lower bicep!

Tricep Kickbacks (3 sets of 15-20): ‘nuff said

Rope Pushdowns (3 sets of 12-15): The key here is to pull your hands apart at the bottom. If you can’t feel the burn with these, then there’s something wrong. These hit the “horseshoe” that the ladies salivate over.

Cable French Press Machine (3 sets of 8-12) Killer for size. These’ll put slabs of meat on the backs of your arms. Great for the long head of the tricep.

Close Grip Burnouts: (3 sets of ???): This is an excellent finisher. Just grab a barbell, or better yet, an EZ-Curl bar, and rep out, baby. No need to add any weight (maybe nickels if you’re using an EZ-Curl Bar) – just hit it for as many reps as you can muster. If you have a spotter, finish the set with 10 negatives. Have her lift the bar off your chest… you just lower it as slow as you can. Your girlfriend can thank me later for this one.

Tuesday: Pecs

After guns, pecs is the second most important muscle group. It consists of three different muscles, the upper pecs, the lower pecs and the middle or main pecs.

Incline Smith Machine Press (3 sets of 10-12): This works the upper pecs really well. It’s important to always start with inclines. Some guys work the flat stuff first, but upper pecs are what really draw attention. When you’re wearing a tight t-shirt, the upper pec’s are what really give your chest that “pop”.

Flat Smith Machine Press (3 sets of 10-12): Not much to say here. Use a weight that lets you get 8-9 reps, then have your spotter help you with a couple forced reps, then a couple negatives. Can you say “burn”?

Decline flyes (3 sets of 15-20): I don’t really like using dumbbells because, truthfully, they’re often a recipe for injury. It’s best to lock in your range of motion with a machine of some sort, but sometimes, the flyes machine doesn’t let you raise the seat enough to make it a true decline. Just be sure to use light weight on these. The idea is to control it and really squeeze your lower pecs together at the top. You know you’ve been doing good on these when you can grasp a ten pound plate with your meavage (male cleavage).

Flye Machine (3 sets of 12-15): You can go a little heavier on these because it’s a machine, but still keep it relatively light. This is a good shaper for the main pecs.

Cable Crossovers (1 set of ???): That’s right… burn it out. Every workout should end with a burnout set. It gets your metabolism going. If you want to be shredded, take my advice.

Wednesday: Guns

Repeat Monday or some variation of. As we talked about, guns are the strongest, most important muscle group and for that reason, they can tolerate more work than the others.

Thursday: Deltoids

Giant Set (3-way superset), side cable laterals, rear cable laterals, front raises with a plate (3 sets of 12-15 each): You want cannonball delts? This is how to get it done. Make sure to change the setup on the cable machine between subsets 1 and 2 as quickly as possible. You want this to be one continuous set for the best pump.

If you do your giant set the right way, you really don’t need to do anything more for delts. If you want, you can do a little bit of Smith Machine work, but make sure not to overtrain. If you get too much lactic acid in your muscles, it can disintegrate the fibers. Maybe just one burnout set with no weight.

Friday: Lats and Quads

No one really sees these muscles, so you definitely want to work them at the end of the week. If you live in a warmer climate and have your shirt off a lot, you may want to hit your lats a little harder than most.

Lats:

Wide Grip, Behind the Neck Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): These give you the V-shape. The wider you can grip the bar, the wider your V will be. It’s fact and has been written about in a lot of articles. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, bitches, it’s Lat-man.

Front Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): Again, think wide!

Machine Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12, 1 burnout): Hopefully, your club has one of these Hammer Strength machines cuz it’s the BOMB!

Quads:

Be careful here. You don’t want big tree trunk legs. You’ve got to hit these just enough to bring out the tear drop and, if you’re lucky, maybe a few striations.

Leg extensions (5 sets of 15-20, 1 burnout): Keep the reps high for maximum pain. You’ll notice I put these down for 5 sets. Just concentrate on these. Most other leg exercises will make you too bulky, and jeans for big legged guys are hard to find, right, fellas? By all means, DO NOT squat unless you want to end up in a wheelchair with your knee muscles all torn up.

Leg curls (3 sets of 15-20): These work the back of your quads. A lot of people don’t bother with them, but it’s a little known fact that you can get striations in the back of your quads, too. Just keep it light to work on shape.

Everyday: Abs

Crunches on a ball (5 sets of 100): Get a ball at home so you can dedicate some time to shredding up your abs. Every other set, go side to side so you hit your intercostals and serratus.
Lol at this guys routine! My god you are ridiculous. Don't listen to this guy cause your going to look like the hunch back of Nortedam! Where your back excersises? What about traps? Forarms? Calvs? What do you mean you don't want big legs? So you prefer chicken legs?ol at arms and chest being the most important. You must look like a fucking tool. Linda like Popeye big arms and nothing else. Too much chest and arms will make your back hunch your back and push your shoulder frontward causing shoulder injury. You sit are a fucking idiot Phone Post
10/22/12 12:13 AM
sxnieves

"Repeat Monday or some variation of. As we talked about, guns are the strongest, most important muscle group and for that reason, they can tolerate more work than the others."

My god I just read your post again and you cemented in my brain how fucking stupid you are. You HAVE to be trolling cause this is crazy. The biceps and triceps are not to be raped like that. They are small muscles compared to your quads, lats, traps, hams? Pecs. You will certainly burn your self doing this dumb fucks routine and look like a fucking fool. And top of it not see any strength gains Phone Post
10/22/12 4:55 AM
DMC
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Actually you're looking a little foolish taking him seriously.

That was a very funny post.
10/22/12 6:41 PM
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sxnieves -  "Repeat Monday or some variation of. As we talked about, guns are the strongest, most important muscle group and for that reason, they can tolerate more work than the others."

My god I just read your post again and you cemented in my brain how fucking stupid you are. You HAVE to be trolling cause this is crazy. The biceps and triceps are not to be raped like that. They are small muscles compared to your quads, lats, traps, hams? Pecs. You will certainly burn your self doing this dumb fucks routine and look like a fucking fool. And top of it not see any strength gains Phone Post

Dude it is common knowledge Striations = Silverback Gorilla strength

10/23/12 9:45 AM

sxnieves -  "Repeat Monday or some variation of. As we talked about, guns are the strongest, most important muscle group and for that reason, they can tolerate more work than the others."

Pffft, I would like to see you come up with a better routine
10/23/12 5:48 PM
younggunz

When im trying to add to my strength i tend to rely on compound lifts which can simulate fight moves such as deadlifts, squat , lunge, and dumbbell work for shoulder strength and endurance. I tend to try to do heavy work on compound work just to keep the time down and allow more time for other aspects of training. I find a 3 day split of Mon-wed-fri works well doing compound work on mon and fri and then doing your conditiong work on wed. Hope this has been helpful!
11/2/12 10:38 AM
icedog11
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/02/12 11:31 AM
Gladiator Mouthguards, president/principle

I jsut started 5/3/1 two months ago  and I'm making great gains 20+ lbs on bench and 40+ on squat and dead lifts. before this program I hated squats and deads don't love them yet but love the gains you can make with them. I acually picked 5/3/1 because it focused on lifts I did'nt like, figured I'll do them till I love them, kinda of a Mike Tyson imerssion workout do it till you love it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.