UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Jumpers knee

10/18/12 9:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rough Bearing
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have just joined a boxing club in the beginning of September. I am a tall lanky fella and
I live an active life style but I am not used to the fast pace that boxing entails. Now, all that being said, I found I had already had to miss a few classes because the tendons in my knee light up on fire if I have been doing any sort of skipping. I have also picked up some 8 pound weights for shadow boxing and I have found that these can cause my knees to light up as well. Any one have any experience on this? I'm hoping its just a matter of me getting used to it and building up some support on my little chicken legs... Phone Post
10/18/12 2:56 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your left knee? ( if you are right handed ) You need to do some weights to make the muscles surrounding your knee stronger. Squats, lunges, and leg extensions as well as something for your hamstrings, stiff legged deadlifts and/or leg curls are all great. Do high reps. Without seeing a video it is hard for me to see if you are punching correctly. Try not to skip on concrete or other hard surfaces.

Why are you using weights that heavy for your shadow boxing?
10/18/12 5:15 PM
Rough Bearing
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fearOfABlackPlanet - your left knee? ( if you are right handed ) You need to do some weights to make the muscles surrounding your knee stronger. Squats, lunges, and leg extensions as well as something for your hamstrings, stiff legged deadlifts and/or leg curls are all great. Do high reps. Without seeing a video it is hard for me to see if you are punching correctly. Try not to skip on concrete or other hard surfaces.

Why are you using weights that heavy for your shadow boxing?
That makes sense. I live in a small town so our boxing gym is current bare feet on jiujitsu mats. Makes skipping a complete bitch. I went and bought myself some good shoes aswell. As for the 8 pound weights? The instructor brought some in one day to shadow box with and he said it was a good way to build up your arms...so that's the only reason why, to be honest. Phone Post
10/18/12 6:20 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

you need some lighter dbs. for shoulder endurance heavier dbs are ok but use sparingly. You need 1-3 lb'ers, you need to work on your form with no weights, a lot. What is your coaches background?
10/18/12 9:24 PM
Rough Bearing

The coach is pretty legit. Been doing for a long time and owns his own gym. Seems to me like he is on contract work for this gym. Nice guy and he seems to know his stuff. I do have a pair of 2 pound weights. But my knees keep me missing classes! At that point in time it just worth me practicing punches? I have a big mirror set up and get lost in time practicing. It's amazingly humbling. Thought I could throw a semi decent punch until i realized I have done absolutely everything wrong. I want to bite everything off in one go but I know it's not a decent approach. So what's recommended? Practice punches? Then work on footwork? Then work on head movement? Phone Post
10/18/12 9:48 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

rehab your knee first, in my opinion, or you are going to have to unlearn bad habits. Take a few weeks to a month and hit some weights for your legs, if it hurts your knee stop. You might want to see an MD to rule out anything serious. sounds like tendonitis to me, but I don't know anything for sure. If you are punching properly it is going to require you to repeatedly stress that knee. I would start with some high rep leg extensions and leg curls, then add squats.

Ice it then heat it and repeat a few times when you get done working it.
10/18/12 9:50 PM
Rough Bearing

Also, I have a quick question. This may sound like a fucking reared question but I am new to this and totally accept it, ha ha ha.

What are some solid combos to work to start linking your punches together? Jab, jab, straight right. Hook, uppercut, hook, upper cut. Is there any good time to jab and throw a long hook? I just want to work basic combos that make sense. I checked a few videos on YouTube but I didn't find any that were amazing. If anybody knows any please, fire them my way!

-The worst boxer ever (for now...) Phone Post
10/18/12 9:54 PM
Rough Bearing

fearOfABlackPlanet - rehab your knee first, in my opinion, or you are going to have to unlearn bad habits. Take a few weeks to a month and hit some weights for your legs, if it hurts your knee stop. You might want to see an MD to rule out anything serious. sounds like tendonitis to me, but I don't know anything for sure. If you are punching properly it is going to require you to repeatedly stress that knee. I would start with some high rep leg extensions and leg curls, then add squats.

Ice it then heat it and repeat a few times when you get done working it.
I looked up my problem and everything about "jumpers knee" makes perfect sense. It answered questions that I never even thought to ask. Your pretty much right though. It's the tendons below the knee cap that get inflamed. Pretty much tendinitis for sure. I find if I wrap them tightly it can numb the pain down by 20%-30%. Not enough to go hard...

Getting old sucks some fat cock, gentlemen... Phone Post
10/19/12 10:01 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

how tall are and how much do you weigh?
10/19/12 10:15 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

it makes a difference with what you need to work on
10/20/12 9:31 AM
Rough Bearing

6'1, 145 pounds. Phone Post
10/20/12 12:55 PM
fanat

Definitely wear a knee brace for practice Phone Post
10/20/12 7:23 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

6'1" 145, you need to work on your jab a LOT. the basic 1 2. 1 2 left upper cut. learn to slide back a step after each combo. Jab long right hook. You want to minimize coming forward. step out and circle. You want to develope a great right uppercut as a weapon to use when someone gets inside. I will think of more. You also need to watch video of mark breland, tommy hearns and anyone else with your build.
10/20/12 8:23 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

Watch how riddick bowe uses his right upper cut to keep guys outside
10/21/12 2:51 PM
Rough Bearing

fearOfABlackPlanet - 6'1" 145, you need to work on your jab a LOT. the basic 1 2. 1 2 left upper cut. learn to slide back a step after each combo. Jab long right hook. You want to minimize coming forward. step out and circle. You want to develope a great right uppercut as a weapon to use when someone gets inside. I will think of more. You also need to watch video of mark breland, tommy hearns and anyone else with your build.
Thanks dude. I very much appreciate that info. Keep that stuff coming all day long... Phone Post
10/23/12 2:00 PM
Spartan79

Hey , hope your sort your knee.
Best thing is rest then strengthen up as others have said.
Just skimmed though the posts but I'm I right in thinking your coach is legit and that you've been a few times?
If thats the case you really would know some basic combos. From what youve said about the gym and coach I'd look for a another boxing club if you are serious and want to fight. If it's just for fun you should still know a few basic combos after ONE session IMO . Phone Post
11/12/12 6:30 AM
zombie prophet

Rough Bearing - 
fearOfABlackPlanet - 6'1" 145, you need to work on your jab a LOT. the basic 1 2. 1 2 left upper cut. learn to slide back a step after each combo. Jab long right hook. You want to minimize coming forward. step out and circle. You want to develope a great right uppercut as a weapon to use when someone gets inside. I will think of more. You also need to watch video of mark breland, tommy hearns and anyone else with your build.
Thanks dude. I very much appreciate that info. Keep that stuff coming all day long... Phone Post

good info.

I've been working on boxing fundamentals for six months or so just from youtube and drilling single punches/footwork(no gym close) and this was really simple advice it seems like but helped bring a lot of stuff together for me so thanks.

is there a video or trainer to try to track down on youtube that will break down the perfect technique/mechanics of each punch? I'm scared of learning bad habits without a couch and want to drill the right motion etc.

thanks man.
11/12/12 4:32 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

There is videos out there. The problem is knowing which videos are bullshit and which are not. If you post videos here or the URL I will watch them and tell you what I think.
12/1/12 1:45 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Need MOAR! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.