UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Henderson: Sonnen's title shot degrades sport

10/18/12 10:29 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I will always [have] love for Chael and don't blame him for saying yes to a big opportunity," Henderson, one of Sonnen's occasional Team Quest training partners, tweeted.

However, after a knee injury cost Henderson a scheduled light-heavyweight shot with Jones this past month at UFC 151, Henderson watched as middleweight Vitor Belfort failed to dethrone Jones at UFC 152. Now, Sonnen, another recent middleweight title challenger, is moving into an immediate title shot. Jones, meanwhile, sits and waits.

"... Giving him that fight [right] now degrades the sport of MMA," Henderson wrote.

read entire article...

10/18/12 10:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think there is anyone who thinks differently, other than the UFC brass themselves.

They must have been on some hardcore shit when they booked this fight. Bath salts+crack laced with LSD maybe?
10/18/12 10:37 AM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It should've been Hendo next. He isn't getting any younger, now he'll likely have to wait close to a year to get a crack at Jones.

Hendo's a legend and Bones is a once in a generation talent. These fights don't come along very often and should have been made next priority, imo. Phone Post
10/18/12 10:37 AM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You were beat to the punch there boss:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2077364&page=1

Hendo: MMA degraded as a sport with JBJ VS Sonnen

" "Giving him that shot rt now degrades the sport of MMA."

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/41/35752995.png

Spot on

Integrity of match ups (legitimacy) > Ratings "

NP though
10/18/12 10:39 AM
UGCTT_AdamD
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaemonDragon - I don't think there is anyone who thinks differently, other than the UFC brass themselves.

They must have been on some hardcore shit when they booked this fight. Bath salts+crack laced with LSD maybe?
Basically. Phone Post
10/18/12 10:40 AM
lordbreakdown
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no no.. dana knows what he's doing.. he said so himself
10/18/12 10:42 AM
GoldMedaLInTapping(R)

Chael is my boy. One of my favorite fighters, but Hendo speaks the truth. I'm sure even Chael is laughing at what a joke this is. Phone Post
10/18/12 10:43 AM
sawdusk
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/12 10:50 AM
can't blame the UFC for chasing ratings, PPV sales, and trying to save a franchise (TUF), but dana's defense of it is insulting to even the most casual fan...
10/18/12 10:50 AM
chaplinshouse
716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/12 10:50 AM

Hendo is correct.  TUF needs saving and this will help, but where do you draw the line in a sport you've worked so hard to legitamize?  If you really want ratings just have Seagal face off vs Rogan.  At least then you're getting ratings without de-legitamizing the belt(s)

10/18/12 10:51 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every single person defending this matchup also seem to insinuate Chael actually stands a chance to win.
10/18/12 10:55 AM
32Hunter

Hes right. Phone Post
10/18/12 11:02 AM
TzTinkle
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All Hendo does is fight his ass off and they reward him like this, what the fuck.
10/18/12 11:03 AM
Neil Funk

it's the type of fight that ensures that I will be spending no money with the UFC anytime soon.

Fuck this bullshit fight Phone Post
10/18/12 11:16 AM
Ironhouse
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

L-AS
W-Stann
W-Bisping
L-AS

greater than

W-Sobral
W-Cavalcante
W-Fedor!
W-Shogun

Yes it makes it look more like WWE than a true Sport where "the best fight the bets 4 times a year" brother, and if your not down with that I got 2 words for you! Twitter War!
10/18/12 11:18 AM
JayF14
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendo speaks the troof Phone Post
10/18/12 11:26 AM
shorebreaker420
1031 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendo never learns.. Phone Post
10/18/12 11:43 AM
Jacinto
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil Funk -  it's the type of fight that ensures that I will be spending no money with the UFC anytime soon.

Fuck this bullshit fight Phone Post

I agree. I was done spending money on their ppv's after that over-hyped Silva-Sonnen 2 where Sonnen pretty much laid down in the 2nd round when things started not going his way. Sonnen is just gonna show up and get a paycheck again and it's not like he has a chance to win the fight anyways. Bullshit too that Dan and Machida are having to fight for a now "possible" shot at the title when each one of them had already earned the next two. BLAF has turned into such a bad joke anymore.
10/18/12 11:49 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendo got one in Pride by going up in weight and beating someone who was 2-4 in his last 6, with the wins being over Kazuo Takahashi and Antony Rea. Phone Post
10/18/12 12:02 PM
SignsOfChaos
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No doubt this fight will be a huge win for the UFC for ratings and PPV buys but as everybody and now Hendo has stated this matchup does damage the legitimacy of MMA.

Given the fact that both Hendo and Jones are recovering from injuries their original fight should've been and would've been the correct thing to do next for not just those two fighters but more importantly the fans. With this move we'd be lucky to see Hendo vs Jones near the end of 2013.

The whole thing just wreaks of WWE and even though we pretty much know Chael will get destroyed he'll be laughing all the way to the bank with his PPV share. Phone Post
10/18/12 12:04 PM
shorebreaker420
1031 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My advice is don't get hurt, and don't turn down title fights, and don't bitch if u pass it up Phone Post
10/18/12 12:14 PM
Anderson P Sonnen
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shorebreaker420 - My advice is don't get hurt, and don't turn down title fights, and don't bitch if u pass it up Phone Post
Take into consideration that Dan got injured unintentionally. Tried his hardest to push through it, but wasn't medically cleared. Everyone else offered the fight wasn't even in a training camp and had 8 days to fight, 3 to prepare. IMO Dan deserves to complain given these circumstances. And tbh, to me he is complaining more about the legitimacy of this fight, rather than him being passed up. Phone Post
10/18/12 12:22 PM
TKOhYeah
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should have been Jones v Hendo for TUF, with Chael as an assistant coach (credibility + entertainment)

Hopefully some legit contenders rise at 205 in the meantime. I just hope we get Dan v Machida now.
10/18/12 12:26 PM
SQUEEZIE

Anderson P Sonnen - 
shorebreaker420 - My advice is don't get hurt, and don't turn down title fights, and don't bitch if u pass it up Phone Post
Take into consideration that Dan got injured unintentionally. Tried his hardest to push through it, but wasn't medically cleared. Everyone else offered the fight wasn't even in a training camp and had 8 days to fight, 3 to prepare. IMO Dan deserves to complain given these circumstances. And tbh, to me he is complaining more about the legitimacy of this fight, rather than him being passed up. Phone Post

agree w last sentance for sure. although im also sure he feels it should def b him over chael any day
10/18/12 12:27 PM
gridlor

Henderson has had a shit load of title shots, even jumps orgs to get them. Weird he would say anything. Phone Post
10/18/12 12:28 PM
Silverball
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ironhouse - L-AS
W-Stann
W-Bisping
L-AS

greater than

W-Sobral
W-Cavalcante
W-Fedor!
W-Shogun

Yes it makes it look more like WWE than a true Sport where "the best fight the bets 4 times a year" brother, and if your not down with that I got 2 words for you! Twitter War!

QFT

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.