UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Groves vs Glen Johnson

10/18/12 1:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LordSeano
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting match up but I think Groves will win this on a decision. He'll be a good test for Groves which ever way you cut it.

Classic Warren matchmaking though.......

Did anyone see degale's last fight - i guess flashy but ineffective is a good summary. He looked a hell of a lot worse than the other guy at the end of it
10/19/12 11:23 AM
OmgItsTheWams
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnson? Thought he just retired Phone Post
10/19/12 4:07 PM
LordSeano
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Supposedly but he'll be getting serious bank for this fight Phone Post
10/19/12 4:20 PM
OmgItsTheWams
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him wish he could win a title and retire Phone Post
10/19/12 4:38 PM
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep classic Warren fight.

10/20/12 5:40 AM
Joe Ray

He's fighting on the Burns undercard in London.

I hope Burns moves up to light welter next year and fights Khan or Brook.

His frame could easily handle it.
10/21/12 5:51 AM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Ray - He's fighting on the Burns undercard in London.

I hope Burns moves up to light welter next year and fights Khan or Brook.

His frame could easily handle it.
Would love to see Burns or Brook Vs Khan Phone Post
10/21/12 12:52 PM
Joe Ray

Throw a comebacking Ricky Hatton in the mix as well.

Lots of good UK light welterweight fights to be made.
10/21/12 3:42 PM
U4EA
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LordSeano - Interesting match up but I think Groves will win this on a decision. He'll be a good test for Groves which ever way you cut it.

Classic Warren matchmaking though.......

Did anyone see degale's last fight - i guess flashy but ineffective is a good summary. He looked a hell of a lot worse than the other guy at the end of it

Yep, classic Warren matchmaking. An old guy who is well known and can be fed to one of his guys. Like the shit he pulled with Khan vs Barrera.

It's definitely a good test for Groves. I am still not sold on him yet, but this is the test he needs. I just rewatched his fight vs Anderson and he was getting hit a LOT with right hands like the ones Johnson throws, and Anderson fights in a very similar to Johnson too. Groves actually got smacked about a fair bit in that fight but he did managed to turn it around with a great finish. However, Johnson is not a guy who gets finished easy.

I thought DeGale looked like shit in that fight. Even if he was fighting down to his opponent, he has got to get himself sorted. He reminds me of Brandon Vera when he fought Jardine in that he was the superior technician, athlete etc but he lost the fight because he didn't know how to fight for entire round and Jardine just mugged him. DeGale got through that fight but he spent so much of it just backing off, laying on the ropes and letting the guy bang away. He is lucky he wasn't in there with a puncher or he would have been in a lot of trouble. He can't just sit back and only fight when and where he feels comfortable - he needs to just fight. Getting away from Warren can only be a good thing as his matchmaking would fail to allow him to develop skill as Warren's guys typically get fed the easiest guys out there (see above).

Here's a thought on how Groves' and Degale's careers have diverged... look at what Glen Johnson did to RJJ when he used DeGale's tactics of lying on the ropes, covering up and only fighting in spurts. What would Johnson have done to that DeGale?

And I don't think Burns is physical enough to fight at 140. He is a solid fighter at 135 and should mix regularly with the best guys in that division to get the experience he needs and only then should he consider moving to 140 where more experience and skill can help to balance out strength/power issues.
10/21/12 4:23 PM
LordSeano

Totally agree with the above (is there a reason there is no quote button on the android app by the way?)

I think groves has matured as a fighter since the Anderson fight too. Degale is going nowhere at the moment. He is too enamoured with his own skill. You are right though, a bigger puncher would have creamed him.

Did anyone see Anderson against Reid? Apparently he looked crap. Phone Post
10/21/12 5:05 PM
Joe Ray

I did not know this about Kenny Anderson:

"On 29 June 2009, Anderson appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court accused of attempted murder. It was alleged that Anderson had attacked a man in Edinburgh, punching him repeatedly in the head and striking him with a hammer. Anderson was found not guilty."

...from wikipedia.
10/21/12 5:08 PM
Joe Ray

Why did Degale leave Warren?

What were the reasons he gave?

I seem to remember he was none too happy with fighting on Boxnation.
10/21/12 5:18 PM
U4EA
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/21/12 5:28 PM

Never used the android app but the quoting system is fuck-awful anyway.

Thing is, Groves got fucking hit with a right from Smith too, and he was badly hurt by it but the bell rang. I just get the impression that a guy like Johnson who comes in behind a tight defence and throws shots from everywhere to everywhere and likes to constantly fire right hands to the head and is almost impossible to stop could be big trouble for Groves. However, it provides the perfect step-up in class and the perfect chance to find out if he can solve a he seems vulnerable to. I hope he shows he can.

DeGale definitely still loves himself but his problem is not that - his problem is that he only fights (or knows how to fight) 1 way. I also think he might be a perfect example of a guy who doesn't cross over from ammy to pro well as he doesn't seem to have any interest in gutting it out over the professional distance(s) and, while he picks and times some excellent punches/combinations, he doesn't have serious power so he can't rely on that to either impose his will or stop the guy. Calzaghe could be bored and lazy in there but had the physical assets to turn it around quickly if things went wrong (Byron Mitchell). Calzaghe could do through gears and had pretty much a wealth of tools and tricks to use when he decided to. But in the 2 fights since Groves, DeGale has shown nothing. McDonnell needs to get him sparring strong, powerful guys to put him under dangerous pressure to make him adjust his and learn to take (and keep) the centre of the ring and set up everything off his jab. He simply doesn't have the power to sit on the ropes and try to sporadically swat the other guy with counters.

Didn't see the Anderson fight, aside from the KO. Anderson is actually a guy who doesn't look particularly good but can still do a good job in the process. But, seriously, what did he have to beat in a 41 year old Reid?

10/21/12 5:20 PM
U4EA

Joe Ray - I did not know this about Kenny Anderson:

"On 29 June 2009, Anderson appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court accused of attempted murder. It was alleged that Anderson had attacked a man in Edinburgh, punching him repeatedly in the head and striking him with a hammer. Anderson was found not guilty."

...from wikipedia.

It gets worse.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/3/16/2876827/george-groves-had-death-threats-before-kenny-anderson-fight-stieglitz-next-boxing-news

He's from Craigmillar, just down the road from me, and the attack took place in Niddrie. Both right next to each other (basically the same area) and fucking rough places.
10/21/12 5:21 PM
U4EA

Joe Ray - Why did Degale leave Warren?

What were the reasons he gave?

I seem to remember he was none too happy with fighting on Boxnation.

He said...

"Um. Well. Eh. chaknowwhatImean?"
10/21/12 6:01 PM
LordSeano

Also I saw today on Facebook groves linked to a tweet from Anderson's brother in law telling Groves' fiancee to have a bath in bleach (she's mixed race).

Classy Phone Post
10/21/12 6:19 PM
U4EA

What an asshole.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.