UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Wrestling Soap Box: Are Steel Cage Matches Dead?

10/18/12 3:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Midnight Logic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestling Soap Box: Are Steel Cage Matches Dead?

There is no other encounter in professional wrestling that signifies the pinnacle of a feud more than the steel cage match. Its confines are unforgiving and blood shed is a virtual guarantee. Villains of bravado and champions of heroic destiny square off in this last resort encounter where the referee’s three count is not enough. Finish your opponent or escape the cage is often your only option for victory. In two weeks, CM Punk will defend the WWE title against Ryback. This match has everyone talking for a variety of reasons but none of them include the Hell in a Cell itself. This makes me wonder; are Steel Cage matches dead?

Check out the rest of my column http://www.gerweck.net/2012/10/18/wrestling-soap-box-are-steel-cage-matches-dead/
10/18/12 4:21 PM
Winky is Wright
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was at the Royal Rumble this past year when they had D Bry defend his WHC against Show and Mark Henry inside a cage... 

Don't get me wrong... his competitors weren't the best, but yes Steel Cage matches are DEAD. I would honestly just rather have a singles match than a steel cage match nowadays. All a cage match does is get my hopes up and I leave saying "the fuck" 

10/18/12 5:17 PM
torubu
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I miss the old cage. Phone Post
10/18/12 5:30 PM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sadly yes.. but I think it might be due to influx of mma really.

WWE still has HIAC and Elimination Chamber.. Phone Post
10/18/12 7:45 PM
Sandy Pantz
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They overused the match and made it meaningless. A Hell in the Cell match should be the culmination of an intense ongoing feud, not a match you do just because it's that time of the year. Makes no sense to have the first match between Punk and Ryback be a gimmick match.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.