UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Kicks to the knees? Okay or not okay?

10/18/12 5:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
oyeguey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1376559-kick-out-those-push-kicks-on-the-knees-please

Please read and comment on kicks to the knees. To me, it lacks sportsmanship. Should they be legal? Any thoughts from the Canadian MMA fighters, promoters, commission etc.?
10/18/12 6:11 PM
silversurfer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the exception of the last line where he describes the technique as "dirty cheap shots" I agree with the author. I don't agree with it being classed as a dirty cheap shot if it is legal. Elbows are not legal in some orgs, does that make them cheap shots when performed in the UFC?

Although knee strikes are a legitimate form of strike in martial arts one must remember that martial arts is self defence whereas MMA is, as the author notes, a sport. The risk to the fighters is too great to allow this type of technique.

As a sport there are already limitations on the techniques that can be used. Small joint manipulation is one such banned technique. Again, a legitimate technique when used in self defence, but why would I want to risk having fingers and toes broken when competing in a sport? Or the groin strike, in the street you bet, in the ring...?

I believe with the increased cases of this technique being used that sanctioning bodies should start to look at it and make a decision on it's acceptance or non acceptance based on the potential severity of injury to a fighter.

10/19/12 7:38 PM
cdueck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As soon as someone on PPV has their knee turned inside out they will be banned. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.