UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> John Rallo's Shogun Fights fight for the animals

10/18/12 6:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Shogun Fights has teamed up with the Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter, also known as BARCS, to help sheltered animals in Baltimore.

Shogun Fights owner and former MMA fighter John Rallo began advocating for animals as a member of the "Show Your Soft Side" campaign.

"I was one of the original people they came to to be a spokesman. I’ve been involved with it since the beginning," said Rallo.

The "Show Your Soft Side" campaign uses local celebrities to bring attention to the frequency of animal abuse in Baltimore. It is part of Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake's initiative to prevent and prosecute acts of animal cruelty in Baltimore.

"Many of the more horrific cases have been perpetrated by teens, thus leading the Mayor’s Anti-Animal Abuse Advisory Commission to look for ways to change the mindset of young people who often view the maiming and torturing of defenseless dogs and cats as a sign of 'toughness' or 'manhood,'" according to the Show Your Soft Side Facebook page.

Rallo said his toughness is one of the reasons the mayor asked him to participate in the campaign.  "I'm a big guy and I'm covered in tattoos from the waist up," said Rallo.

While he may appear tough, Rallo has a "soft side" for the animals and continues to make efforts to ensure their well-being.

At the Shogun fight at 1st Mariner Arena on Saturday, Oct. 20, Shogun Fights will hold an animal food drive with BARCS. In addition to food, the volunteers will also be accepting pet toys and monetary donations.

"I hope people will come to the fight, and bring something for the animals or donate a couple dollars to BARCS," said Rallo. "It’s going to a good cause."

BARCS has helped over 11,000 unwanted, abused and stray animals. They house cats, dogs and even wildlife and exotic animals. The organization is committed to making cruelty for animals a felony in hopes of preventing the brutal treatment some animals endure.

Read entire article...

10/18/12 8:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/12 8:03 PM

Great cause, great guy.  I love it when two of my favorite things in the world-MMA and helping animals, come together.

10/18/12 8:13 PM
DonFreedomFrye
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rallo is doing great things for Maryland MMA and he has a cat named Doobie. How can you not like the guy?
10/18/12 8:32 PM
Mechanical Bull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

really pleased to see this......
10/18/12 8:38 PM
Tat2tillidie
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet I know the guy who did his tattoos ... Phone Post
10/18/12 9:23 PM
the ridler
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's ground control. Not sure if he still posts here..
10/18/12 9:39 PM
Kirik
1745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter

John Rallo does a huge amount for MMA. Guy is a hero.

10/18/12 10:19 PM
Tat2tillidie
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

John Rallo does a huge amount for MMA. Guy is a hero.

Awesome cause ... I have tons of friends from Baltimore and surrounding areas that help out with animal rescue ... It's very admirable ... They are all tattoo artist an work 50 hrs a week is donate 15-20 hrs doing rescue work ...

TTT for a great cause ... Phone Post
10/18/12 10:27 PM
Pilot201
2016 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering what happened to Rallo. Phone Post
10/18/12 10:28 PM
Pilot201
2016 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And groundcontrol, Sean Alvarez, and a few of the NY/NJ old crew... Phone Post
10/18/12 10:30 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John is a GREAT guy and he singlehandedly got MMA legalized in Maryland.

My ONLY grievance with his shows are the ticket prices.

The bulk of the fighters are from his gym (why not, smart) and it's a showcase for Ground Control.

But this show's biggest "draw" is Frankie Lester and floor seats are 269.05 after fees.

Marcello Foran's UWC which ran in Fairfax routinely showcased guys like Antwain Britt, John Dodson, Kris McCray and Phil Davis was booked until signing with the UFC.

There tickets were cheaper and Fairfax is a higher rent district than is where the First Mariner Bank arena is located.

John is great, I do wish him success.

But I can't see dropping nearly 600 bucks to watch guys who really don't have that much upside on the whole.

And to sit up in the rafters in that place is not good in terms of sightlines and any such screens.

Hey, I hope they sell out and folks even scalp these tickets but honestly these fans here can't get to a UFC so the fact it's a PRO MMA show blinds them to the fact they are paying major league prices.

Bellator?

137 bucks for a front row seat.

Anyone want to tell me Shogun has more talent than Bellator?

I'll listen. Phone Post
10/19/12 12:55 AM
DojoJay
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Probabaly coulda stopped after the first sentence...

"John is a GREAT guy and he singlehandedly got MMA legalized in Maryland."

Then you proceed to bash his talent and ticket prices?

10/19/12 7:34 AM
tapoutmachine
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What your missing about the 250 tickets are that there vip tickets Early entry, Open bar, Catered (in the past its been catered by Ruth chris steakhouse, currently valentino's). It's a really good show as far as how its ran and the production value. I was lucky enough to fight on the first 2 cards and have worked as a second at the rest, and its as proffesional as any of the big shows minus the ufc. I'm sure they will have to start bringing in bigger talent sooner than later but with that said it is still a really good show.
10/19/12 1:02 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool that Tommy Lee contributed as well.

I wish this prmotion a lot of luck and I'd definitely attend a show if it wasn't so far from me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.