UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Starting kettlebells?

10/18/12 8:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AliBomaye
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have a 35 lb kettlebell. Can I workout with just 1 effectively or do I need 2. Also what r some good places to look for a good routine. I am not near a real gym. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Phone Post
10/18/12 10:22 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 is fine. IMHO Start with RKC's Party Minimum. Swings and TGU, all you'll need at first.

10/18/12 10:46 PM
AliBomaye

Thanks appreciate the input Phone Post
10/20/12 5:09 PM
BazUK

I started with a 24kg 'bell, which I found reasonble hard. Stuck at it, then started with sandbag lifting/shoulding/loading, and the 'bell is still a challange, but nothing like it used to be. Got to get myself a pair of 32kgs soon.

Baz
10/21/12 1:26 AM
bull neck
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a big fan of follow along DVDs or many of the written routines I've seen. It sounds like kettlebell sacrilege but they're load and programs can mostly be done the same way as you'd write normal barbell programs. While some exercises are quite different and respond to highish reps (e.g. swing or snatch) most kb programs seem more designed for entertainment than results.

If you're looking for technique tips I'm going to shamelessly self-promote and suggest checking my page at Breaking Muscle (www.breakingmuscle.com/andrew-read). I've gotten through technique for swing, get up and squat as well as written plenty on the swing and the get up which you can also find on my pages there. Clean, press, snatch coming over the next three weeks.

If you absolutely must follow a pre-written plan I'd suggest Pavel's Force recon workout (google will find it for you). Very good all round kind of workout containing presses, jerks, some pull ups, squats - i.e. a bit of everything. gets good results and prevents boredom. Works well on three days per week, or if training a lot at other stuff, as it's a two day split, can be done just one of each weekly.
10/21/12 3:15 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Mahler or Steve cotter are great trainers with kettlebells. Check them out. Phone Post
10/21/12 4:57 PM
Zero1
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKC Minimum is the best beginning. Get Up and Swing, later add Clean and Press.

Pavel is the best when it comes to details and you need the details if you want to train save.....
11/3/12 10:30 AM
Nic0deemus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's an Idea for you:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/ten_thousand_swings_to_fat_loss

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.