UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva a bigger star in Brazil than Bryant in US

10/19/12 6:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Deaf Forever
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/19/12 6:26 AM
<blockquote>Glovegate - <p>
No it's that what Ed's saying makes it seem as though it's not a small group of mma fans who don't think Anderson is the goat, it's the entire country.</p>
<p>
</p></blockquote>

That survey was amongst a sample of a few thousand on a Brazilian MMA forum called Portal Vale Tudo. It's pretty much the Brazilian Sherdog and is comprised of mostly opinionated hardcore fans who've been watching since Pride.

The fans on that forum don't particularly like Anderson (a lot like Jon Jones, he's seen as "cocky") and prefer guys from Pride FC REGARDLESS of nationality (hardcore MMA fans don't give a damn about nationality).

It IS a small group of MMA fans! lol

99% of people who watch UFC in Brazil since 2011 probably have no idea who or what the fuck a Fedor is.
10/19/12 7:54 AM
Rookie Fighter

if he's as popular as Kobe or more popular why doesn't he make as much money.....Anderson cant touch kobe's balls
10/19/12 8:25 AM
Bobby Lupo
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My Brazilian friend just said that Kobe is more popular IN BRAZIL than Anderson.
10/19/12 8:25 AM
Bobby Lupo
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My Brazilian friend just said that Kobe is more popular IN BRAZIL than Anderson.
10/19/12 8:31 AM
victorpoprock
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many of you teenagers living with mommy and daddy, who are doubting the truth of these statements, have actually been to Brasil? 

Ed is absolutely correct in his statements. Anderson is a huge star in Brasil. 

10/19/12 8:57 AM
savage043
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One raped someone Phone Post
10/19/12 9:12 AM
Fernando Alonso

While I believe thats true to be fair America has more sports and more stars overall. In Brazil other than futbol, F1 and volleyball and maybe tennis they don't really have a lot of sports like we do in the USA. Phone Post
10/19/12 9:24 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Kobe and Lebron are not popular at all because most Americans think Jordan is the GOAT.

- Signed
Glovegate

:) Phone Post
10/19/12 9:31 AM
GMan99
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Paul_Blanka_Harris - 

Btw has a brazilian he is really famous like he is right below our soccer player popularity he is not there yet ,but even my 85 year old grandmother nows who he is.on the other hand I dont beñive that p4p poll to be truth because if you guys will know us brazilians we will never root or take glory away from a brazilian to give it to someone else even if fedor is p4p is just not in our nature to do so

Sorry for my awful english just wanted to give the inside of a brazilian . Plz dont vote me down for wrtiting like a 2 nd grader

Not only did I not vote you down, I voted you up!
10/19/12 9:54 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
10/19/12 10:42 AM
T Bag

victorpoprock - 

How many of you teenagers living with mommy and daddy, who are doubting the truth of these statements, have actually been to Brasil? 

Ed is absolutely correct in his statements. Anderson is a huge star in Brasil. 

I go to Brazil pretty regularly for work (Sao Paulo, Rio and Belem) and this strikes me as being a massive exaggeration
10/19/12 12:04 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not even close.

I remember seeing David Beckham at the airport.

A gaggle of hot young women walked up to him and said, "Excuse me, but could you take a picture of us with Joseph Benavidez?"

Yeah.

I'd imagine Anderson Silva is even bigger.

I believe it. Phone Post
10/19/12 12:10 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 10/19/12 1:03 PM

half of the TV's in Brazil were watching Andersons fight.  That's like the superbowl in the united states.  There's not a single athlete in the United states that can pull those numbers.

10/19/12 12:12 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - Probably so, since Kobe is less popular than LeBron. But basketball is not America's top past time sport. That would be football and baseball.

Tebow and A-rod. Of course A-Rod is now on his way down.

Tiger Woods would have been a name that exceeded his own sport, up until his audulterous behavior.
Perhaps not, but the NBA does have the biggest name stars of any team sport. The sport can be influenced by one individual more than football, you see their faces, and the NBA just markets their players very well.

I agree Tiger is bigger though, he's been the most famous American athlete worldwide since Jordan. Phone Post
10/19/12 12:14 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SlyStallowned -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  After hearing Chael talk about Brazil on the JRE, I believe it completely. Phone Post

Yes, because he is a valid source of legit information....
It very much is, why don't you watch it? Chael is being serious and has absolutely no reason to lie. He's just talks about how many people watched Silva's fight and how the people there all recognized him. Phone Post
10/19/12 12:26 PM
Phisher

savage043 -  One raped someone Phone Post

LOL @ anybody who honestly believes that Kobe forced himself on that whore.

10/19/12 1:42 PM
pm1964
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/19/12 1:42 PM
I think people are way underestimating the overall popularity of basketball around the world. The overwhelming majority of people have never heard of mma at all, much less Silva. I hate basketball, but you have to be realistic.
10/19/12 3:18 PM
Onnie804yamsaki

I dont even watch basketball or.like it bug i am a fan of kobe. I know this to be true with many of.my friends. I higly doubt the reverse of people not knowing what mma is being fans of silva is true. I wish it was but it isntm in fact i have many mma fans at work that order ppcs of hendo,hendersin. Jones and a couple of brocks before he retired.they dont even know.who.silva is.i know that is rediculous and makes no sense but its true. They ordee the ppvs and can even name there records. In my exp this.is exaggerated but im not brazzilian so my two cents dont mean shit on this
10/19/12 5:34 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His bank account isn't bigger.
10/19/12 8:47 PM
Bisping_GMWOAT
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
10/19/12 9:43 PM
RicoVelasquez
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

P4PKING -
Warrenpeace - When Anderson signs a 100 million shoe contract I'll consider it for a sec.

Lol at bigger than Kobe & Lebron. Ed soares is a fucking clown.
Why would he ever sign a shoe contract, you don't wear shoes when you fight.

You're stupid, stop being stupid mr. Stupid head Phone Post
hahahaha Phone Post
10/19/12 9:44 PM
RicoVelasquez
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TOAO - hope anderson doesn't vacation in eagle, colorado, he will regret it.
And why is that?

I really doubt he took your jerb Phone Post
10/19/12 10:17 PM
Archangel

Lol just Fucking quit already. Some of you guys are just plain dumb.
10/19/12 11:16 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones has a Nike deal.

The difference between Jon's Nike deal and any NBA player's Nike deal?

It's like comparing the wages of a sweatshop worker stitching Nike shoes versus an American factory worker backed by a union.

Same definitely goes for Kobe Bryant versus Anderson Silva.

But that is ok because it's the way it should be.

It's not a slight to suggest Bryant is the bigger star.

The NBA serves a larger audience and as such it's biggest stars will make the UFC's biggest stars seem less than. Phone Post
10/20/12 7:54 AM
Bobby Lupo

Can we get NINOPLATA to weigh in on this matter?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.