UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: TUF tougher than the Olympics

10/19/12 8:57 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During Thursday's media conference call, Chael P. Sonnen offered his perspective on The Ultimate Fighter. He will appear as a coach opposite Jon Jones next season.

"The show is coming up, it's on FX and it's coming to a living room near you. I would also like to mention to the media, and I really hope they report this, this show is the single biggest and toughest tournament that we have in this sport.

"This isn't a four-man tournament that gets spread over the course of a year. This is a 32-man tournament that will take place over five and a half weeks and to be aired over 10 of the most successful ratings FX has ever seen.

"This is a tournament that is tougher than the Olympic games, it's tougher than the NFL playoffs, it's tougher than any tournament in sports and that storyline constantly gets missed. This is no more reality TV than the NFL playoffs or the Olympics were. It's real and it's on TV.

"The bottom line is, this is a tournament. This is a tournament so tough that great fighters like Josh Koscheck, Gray Maynard, Stephan Bonnar and Chris Leben couldn't even win it. It's so tough, that world champions Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans came through it. I happen to know the talent that has been selected for this show, this will put all of those seasons to shame and there is a world champion, if not more than one, that's in these young men.

"Write this down, the toughest tournament in mixed martial arts is coming to FX."

Read entire article...

10/19/12 9:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
muppetsbungalowedbeyatch
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael is nothing if not a salesman Phone Post
10/19/12 9:14 AM
MITman2k
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/19/12 9:19 AM

One could argue that sonnen does a better job of promoting TUF than the promoters.Personally, I'm not convinced by the the content of what he's saying, but I could easily see how others would be,  potentially raising TUF ratings (in the short term at least)

10/19/12 9:15 AM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the kind of pitch I like. If he can do more of this, going to be a great season. Phone Post
10/19/12 9:15 AM
Macbody

That man can really turn a phrase! Phone Post
10/19/12 9:23 AM
jonflesh
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

muppetsbungalowedbeyatch - Chael is nothing if not a salesman Phone Post
. Phone Post
10/19/12 9:31 AM
whatamess

NotImpressedByYourScreenName -  Nobody thinks that comparing out of work, pink Mohawk wearing, tattoo'd amateur bums to Olympians is insulting?? Phone Post

booohooo poor olympians
10/19/12 9:34 AM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok Chael calm down
10/19/12 9:40 AM
TheReflectionOfPerfection

He has a point.

3/4 fights in 6 weeks. Must maintain weight the entire time.

Not to mention the psychological factors of living with your opponents, and being away from your family for so long. Phone Post
10/19/12 9:42 AM
MMALOGIC

Chael is a better promoter than Dana White.

He makes a good point... 32 man tournament that takes place over the course of 6 weeks... that's a pretty good product... too bad it doesnt translate through the actual content.  instead we get "you wanna be a fucking fighter'

Dana White appeals to the lowest common denominator... and that worked great for the hicks that watch spike inbetween fucking their cousins... FX on the other hand caters to a more sophisticated audience.

tuf needs to project exactly what Sonnen is saying... it needs to be packaged more like "the contender".  Better sounds effects, music... more deep drama instead of the juvenile cum sandwiches.  They did some of this in the brazil tuf and it was great.

How bout their families come and visit the guys when they fight?  let's see mommies and wives crying as their sons and husbans are being pounded or choked unconscious... this is riveting television.

Tuf needs to stimulate the basic emotions.

10/19/12 9:43 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

i wonder if all the pressure to save TUF will cause chael to go overboard

10/19/12 9:49 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

Chael is a better promoter than Dana White.

He makes a good point... 32 man tournament that takes place over the course of 6 weeks... that's a pretty good product... too bad it doesnt translate through the actual content.  instead we get "you wanna be a fucking fighter'

Dana White appeals to the lowest common denominator... and that worked great for the hicks that watch spike inbetween fucking their cousins... FX on the other hand caters to a more sophisticated audience.

tuf needs to project exactly what Sonnen is saying... it needs to be packaged more like "the contender".  Better sounds effects, music... more deep drama instead of the juvenile cum sandwiches.  They did some of this in the brazil tuf and it was great.

How bout their families come and visit the guys when they fight?  let's see mommies and wives crying as their sons and husbans are being pounded or choked unconscious... this is riveting television.

Tuf needs to stimulate the basic emotions.

You really think the audience of FX is that much more sophisticated than Spike TV? It's fucking TV for Christ's sake. Phone Post
10/19/12 9:51 AM
IGOTBELCHED

Well seeing as not one guy who has ever been on tuf ever qualified for the olympics and not one guy in the ufc ever qualified as far as i know, someone correct me if i'm wrong, bunch of failed wrestlers if you ask me chael talking out of his ass.
10/19/12 10:06 AM
TheReflectionOfPerfection

NotImpressedByYourScreenName -
TheReflectionOfPerfection - He has a point.

3/4 fights in 6 weeks. Must maintain weight the entire time.

Not to mention the psychological factors of living with your opponents, and being away from your family for so long. Phone Post
They used to have 16 man tourneys in one night. And you think olympians don't compete constantly during the 4yr prep? Ever heard of world championships? And you think they don't have to make weight every time they compete - which can be multiple times a day? (ask Rousey)

Rousey has even said many times that Olympic judo was way harder and she's a world champ, not a bum on TUF.

But yea, bunch of bum wrestlers who live in a mansion, get paid and get everything bought for them is tougher than preparing for the Olympics.

FFS people, even Chael knows this is horseshit but thinks people are dumb enough to believe it. Which you are proving correct. Phone Post
Iamnotimpressedbyyourresponse Phone Post
10/19/12 10:10 AM
cheesesteak
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very good sales pitch indeed. But seriously, the olympics? But I understand that he's hyping and he does very well hyping stuff.
10/19/12 10:13 AM
MMALOGIC

It seems either Tuf is going to one season a year or the 2nd season will be airing in the summers instead of the fall... tuf 17 premieres in january when it used to debut in march... you're not gonna continue airing 2 seasons back to back like that... there's not enough of a break inbetween a finale in december and a priemiere in january.

it's either going to one season a year or the second season will air in the summer. if there is a summer season it would debut at the end of june giving it a 3 month break inbetween as usual.

Looking at FX's schedule the most likely night is wednesday's at 10pm.  FX has nothing on wednesday nights in the winter and summer. (american horror occupies wednesday nights in the fall).

The rumors of tuesday night just doesnt make any sense...  could it be just to throw spike off?  if it was tuesday nights then it would be at 11pm with Justified leading into it.  if there's a fall season then sons of anarchy would be leading into it. 

I cant see that happening with FX having wednesday nights in the winters and summers wide open.  You're gonna take a program you buried on friday nights and all of sudden use  sons of anarchy and justified to lead into it?  I would be shocked.

I think it's wednesdays nights at 10pm and they are trying to throw spike off with the tuesday rumors...  and either the second season is in the summer or they are only doing one season a year.   

10/19/12 10:20 AM
hubris
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's a former Republican politician right?
10/19/12 11:03 AM
rockemsockem
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm bored of chael already, and there's plenty more of this shit to come! Phone Post
10/19/12 11:10 AM
x FOX x
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His shtick is getting weak Phone Post
10/19/12 11:29 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I loved it when Bobby Heenan told Hulk Hogan he better watch his ass.

Wait.

That was the FX guy saying that to Spike.

Sorry.

Get all mixed up with these guys reenacting pro wrestling from the 80s with bullshit promos.

Pro wrestling fans don't fall for this stuff anymore.

Yet THEY are slackjawed marks?

Looks like Brock went back to WWE but left all the converted rassling fans over here.

It's all bullshit and buying this is like believing Abdullah The Butcher wasn't a fat Canadian guy. Phone Post
10/19/12 11:40 AM
UGCTT_Winnson

Chael is totally awesome.  I can't wait to see him coaching.

10/19/12 12:39 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What he meant to say is that TUF is the Bobsledding of MMA. Phone Post
10/19/12 12:56 PM
tiger07
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUF would be tougher than the olympics, regardless of their level. Toughest sport there is, with four fights to endure=Chael speaking truth.
10/19/12 4:03 PM
Joe Sons nuts

Too bad it lacks olympic level athletes.
10/19/12 4:12 PM
paw
1418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

muppetsbungalowedbeyatch -  Chael is nothing if not a salesman Phone Post

yup!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.