UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Not to nitpick but re: World Champion

10/19/12 10:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kying418
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We need to standarize what it means to be a World Champion in BJJ.

I think it should be Gi Black Belt IBJJF Mundials Gold medal.

I know its not a big issue, I just get confused when I hear someone is a 10x World Champion, and then discover they are including their blue belt world championships.
10/19/12 10:26 AM
countlphie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i agree. the black belt should be the only division that should be considered as "professional" level, and the only one that really matters.

i don't want to downplay accomplishments at other belts, but at the same time people try way too hard to market their success at lower belts
10/19/12 10:30 AM
joshjitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you win at a IBJJF competition, called the worlds, then you are a world champ. doesn't matter the belt or if its adult or senior 4 IMO

Obviously Blackbelt at adult being the most prestigious
10/19/12 10:32 AM
Jessy30
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ agree Phone Post
10/19/12 10:34 AM
kying418
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joshjitsu - I'm totally fine with that too (not that my opinion matters), I just wish there was some standarization.
10/19/12 11:01 AM
checkuroil
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree with kying.

If you win purple then say purple belt mundials champ.

I look at guys resumes and see this all the the time. Phone Post
10/19/12 11:23 AM
joshjitsu

HolyAvengerP5 -
joshjitsu - If you win at a IBJJF competition, called the worlds, then you are a world champ. doesn't matter the belt or if its adult or senior 4 IMO

Obviously Blackbelt at adult being the most prestigious

ok,

but if it is anything other than adult black belt mundials, then they should have to specify the belt color
Agreed Phone Post
10/19/12 12:44 PM
onyx2002
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you win ADCC and want to say No gi world champ I don't think anyone will mind
10/19/12 12:58 PM
vegard
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's really no need for clarification about this. The only people who claim "world champion" as a title without being black belt are just trying to market themselves. You are not world champion unless you are rafael mendes, marcelo garcia, roger gracie, etc.

If you win your division at the mundials, you are merely a category winner at the world champion tournament. You ain't world champ.
10/19/12 1:02 PM
joshjitsu

vegard - There's really no need for clarification about this. The only people who claim "world champion" as a title without being black belt are just trying to market themselves. You are not world champion unless you are rafael mendes, marcelo garcia, roger gracie, etc.

If you win your division at the mundials, you are merely a category winner at the world champion tournament. You ain't world champ.
Those guys who win gold at mundials deserve that title. I have competed there and to win it is a serious accomplishment at any belt. If you are a bluebelt adult lightweight with 135 people in your division, then you've earned your title. Phone Post
10/19/12 1:06 PM
LCSULLA
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vegard - There's really no need for clarification about this. The only people who claim "world champion" as a title without being black belt are just trying to market themselves. You are not world champion unless you are rafael mendes, marcelo garcia, roger gracie, etc.

By this reasoning, why not just say the world champ is black belt absolute winner? Since they will fight anyone at any weight.

10/19/12 1:38 PM
checkuroil
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winning blue belt is an accomplishment but its not on the level of being a bb world champ. Phone Post
10/19/12 2:23 PM
kying418

It gets even more confusing as there are legends of the sport (who have won multiple titles at the black belt level) who also include their lower belt titles....ie. 10x World Champion, etc.
10/19/12 2:37 PM
baby-silverback
359 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No matter what belt level, their organization its promoting it as such. It its just your belt level, but is still a legit championship. It is still a major win, a major championship Phone Post
10/19/12 3:09 PM
gusto

blackbelt mundials for gi

that is it
10/19/12 3:38 PM
mrgoodarmbar
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think that you should mix the two (black belt and non black belt) unless you're specifically stating it eg "overall throughout the divisions he was won x world championships". Otherwise it's misleading by omission.

In general I think that World Champ without any prefix is BB adult...whatever weight div.
After that you might be technically right, but you're being misleading....In what other sports to people refer to World champ and combine an amateur and professional championship? **Jason Varitek played in 3 world series, winning 2 of them.

**note that 1 was little league in 1984

10/19/12 3:46 PM
JZilla
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even more confusing when people add in cbjje titles to the total count Phone Post
10/19/12 3:58 PM
sharkroll
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joshjitsu - 
vegard - There's really no need for clarification about this. The only people who claim "world champion" as a title without being black belt are just trying to market themselves. You are not world champion unless you are rafael mendes, marcelo garcia, roger gracie, etc.

Those guys who win gold at mundials deserve that title. I have competed there and to win it is a serious accomplishment at any belt. If you are a bluebelt adult lightweight with 135 people in your division, then you've earned your title. Phone Post

This^^^ Winning the Worlds at any belt, is a huge accomplishment.
10/19/12 5:07 PM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason Varitek was a stud.
10/19/12 5:07 PM
gusto

^and that title is "blue belt world champion"

not

world champion
10/19/12 5:15 PM
superB
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this topic always bothers me. Here are some of my copied posts from a thread from years back. it may come across as disjointed but i am too lazy to rewrite. I have mad respect for everyone who competes, and winning a tourny like the pans or worlds as a blue/purple/brown is a HUGE acomplishment. But they weren't the world champion that day.

-------

"I just find it funny how different the mentality is in the BJJ community compared to the judo world.

In Judo, you are not even considered a competitor until you are fighting in the black belt division. There are no national/world/olympic titles for anything but black belts.

Black belt is where real competition starts, everything else is just training.

The level of talent in BJJ at the colored belts is insane these days but it still boils down to preperation for the black belt division. what the hell is a pan-am blue belt champion?? If you're a pan-am champion you have done it at the top level.

If you are a black belt in either sport and choose not to compete that is your choice but dont talk about victories and medals in the blue/purple divisions.
If you want to be a competitor fight where the competition starts, at black belt. I dont consider any of my tournament medals outside of the black division part of the discussion. Hopefully ill get my black in bjj before im too crippled so i can test myself there as well."

--

"when you have a category full of purple belts you have a bunch of guys with arbitrarily assigned ranks fighting each other. what makes a purple belt a purple? its different everywhere.

when you are given a black belt your instructor is saying u r ready to test yourself against anybody.
if u want to know where u stand as a competitor, you fight at black belt.

there are competitions for all levels in every sport but most people understand wht it means to enter an open competition at the advanced level. even if it is at the regional level, you are saying i am willing to fight(play) anyone that shows up.

if youwant to be a "national chapion" you should be taking on anybody that shows up, not saying," oh no not him. hes been wrestling longer than me."

-----------

end rant.
coop
10/19/12 6:00 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for responses Phone Post
10/19/12 7:03 PM
Bjjudo

Pretty much blackbelt only, best in the world at blue belt is really just the best sandbagger in the division imo. Whereas most winners sit at the belt for 3 years +. It's not surprising they'd win. Therefore blackbelt only is what should count.

I know some people don't start training till later but sorry older guys but masters worlds isn't the same either Phone Post
10/19/12 7:07 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To me winning at blue belt, doesn't mean you're a world champion. That is like being the best amateur MMA fighter.
10/19/12 7:10 PM
JSho
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/20/12 10:58 PM

The only people who can claim genuine world champion status need to have won the ibjjf Mundials, ibjjf nogi Mundials, Adcc, cbjje Mundials, World Pro Gi, World PRo NoGi, CBJJO Copa do Mundo (world black belt championships) or Fila Grappling Worlds at black belt.

And of course the ibjjf Mundials and Adcc are the preeminent gi and nogi competitions.

The notion of junior belt world champions is silly. It's a great achievement but you are not THE world champion. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.