UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Article Series on Strength Training for Judo

10/19/12 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ring Girl
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey everybody - I wanted to let you know about a series we're running on my website about strength training for Judo in case any of you are interested in checking it out. There will be 5 parts in total, 3 are up on the site already:

Strength Training for Judo: Part 1 - Training Grip and Cardio

Strength Training for Judo: Part 2 - The Turner

Strength Training for Judo: Part 3 - The Charger

Let me know what you think and if there are other judo-related articles you'd like to see!

10/19/12 9:16 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really apprecaite all the time you took to explain the differt styles of judo and the necessary strengths required to optimize that style. Most of us supplement our training with exercises that resemble the different facits of judo and not necessarily the type of ther we are. We know in general you need a strong/flexible body. But I have seen judokas who are not strong but have excellent technique be very successful in judo. Those who have been doing judo since kids are usually of this breed. The Koreans/Japanese are a good example who endure judo training 6 days/week since kids. thanks once again.
10/19/12 9:22 PM
ASanchez83
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for sharing. I thought it was well thought out and informative. I'm renewing my gym membership soon and I was going to do Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Do you think he can write up a kettlebell circuit for judo?
10/21/12 1:20 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

while i appreciate the knowledge, there is a flaw in the explanation.. he is treating each athlete as a specific forward, backward or balanced judoka... what about the judokas, who are like most people, that use forward and rear throws equally?

Anybody who knows much about judo will tell you that it is almost impossible to have only throws in one direction... even Koga and Okano needed their Kouchi versions to make their seionage impactful.

the area he is right on is that every Judoka needs extreme cardio-- 10 minute high intensity cardio in the same way a wrestler needs it-- great grip strength-- but the exercises he suggests are not nearly good enough-- and strong rotational core muscles-- which he never really gets into discussing at all.

regardless of the type of Judoka one is, which he is seemingly trying to identify by the throw selection, Judokas need much, much stronger back muscles than front. Our upper backs much be very well developed while the chest and pushing muscles can be much less so. reason being is a simple technical understanding of Judo-- first, you cannot throw somebody you are pushing away from you.. even rear throws require that the gap be closed using the muscles in the upper back, the muscles in the chest only serve to increase this gap.

as for kettlebells, you need to have very stable shoulders, core and already accomplished standard strength numbers before i'd think you want to go that route.
10/23/12 1:01 PM
ASanchez83
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for your advice on the kettle bells Joshua. Phone Post
10/24/12 5:09 PM
Ring Girl
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys - thanks for the feedback! I am going to relay all your thoughts and requests to the author. He also posts here on the UG, so he may chime in here himself.
10/25/12 3:37 AM
Chocolate Shatner
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Becca. Hey guys, let me think about your comments, and I will reply. Give me some time though.
10/25/12 6:53 AM
Chocolate Shatner
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, let's look at some of the points.

1. Kettlebells- Sorry man, I currently don't train using them. While I have some ideas, there are plenty of better qualified folks out there who can give advice on using kettlebells. They are just too expensive where I live to think of purchasing them at this time.

2. Josh- You bring up some good points, some of which are addressed in the later sections of the series. Stay tuned for parts 4 and 5. I'll do some thinking more on your comment on rotational core strength, review what hasn't been posted in the series yet, and get back to you. Who knows, I may use it as the source for a new article. Of course, I would rip you off blatantly and never give you any credit for it. LOL.

Of course, I'd also love to look at a higher level player, but that of course would be more specialized to fit the individual club and player.
10/25/12 2:22 PM
ASanchez83

Chocolate Shatner, I just voted you up. I think your articles are great and I have shared them with my former judo club. I only threw out the request for kettlebells because that is what I have access to right now as well as an ez curl bar, plates, and exercise tubing. I was just looking for suggestions on what I could do at home in a circuit. a body weight circuit would be cool too. Anyway, I am going to share the articles with my current judo club as well. Josh was a high level player btw.
10/25/12 4:52 PM
Chocolate Shatner

Sanchez, thanks. Yeah, Josh knows a ton about high level work. And I addressed that in what will be (I think) part 5, which is the FAQ's on the program. But what it basically comes down to is, the program was written for the local/club level player. If I was to train someone of Josh's former competition level or higher, I'd have to really sit down and tailor it to not only the individual's but their practice schedule (no gain in overtraining someone and getting them hurt that way), their injury history (prehab and rehab lifts will most likely be necessary, and their competition calendar.
10/26/12 8:40 AM
Outkaster
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh is a good resource so maybe you could collaborate.
10/26/12 12:16 PM
Ring Girl

Part 4 is up now - the final part (lots of FAQs on the programming) will be up next week:

Strength Training for Judo: Part 4 - The Grappler

10/28/12 3:53 PM
SamboMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt.
11/2/12 11:51 AM
Ring Girl

The final part, part five, is up now and answers some of the questions people had earlier:

http://breakingmuscle.com/martial-arts/strength-training-judo-part-5-faq

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.