UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Is BJJ Here to Stay or Will It Go the Way of TMA?

10/24/12 2:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
I'm just saying you can be an incredibly bad/lazy/uncommitted Blue, Purple or Brown Belt and EVENTUALLY you WILL get the next belt, IF you hang-in long enough. It inevitable.

I know a GREAT guy who had been training about 15 years. He's a Purple and that's a stretch if you judge him by technique. Nicest guy ever. He likes to train when he wants, never really "learns" anything that I can tell. Never improves no matter what advice he is given. He is stuck at approximately new Blue-belt level, but he doesn't care. He has ZERO (and I mean ZERO) ego. He is an unusual guy and an unusual case. If you told him, "You will never be promoted again", he wouldn't care in the slightest.

Rank wise, I really don't know what you "should" do with people like that, but generally what DOES happen is they slowly they work their way up the ranks.

I know a few people like that. One does door work on the weekend, the other two care cops. All floating around purple. Do not care in the slightest about rank/comps/the latest moves/ whatever. They just like the club and dont want their skills to regress too much. For their purposes purple/blue is more than enough since they work hands and other things.

Sure in theory they are getting incrementally better. But they are content with their skill set and involvement in BJJ.
10/24/12 3:46 AM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shen almost described me to a T. LOL Phone Post
10/24/12 3:58 AM
Truemanc3
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will have schools that represent BJJ very well and schools that dont.

Time will tell.
10/24/12 12:28 PM
Blackguilt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done Karate, Judo, and others.

None of them have ever had me wake up randomly thinking "I want to train" like BJJ has. There is a certian intangable to BJJ that makes me feel like it will always be around.
10/26/12 2:37 PM
TBoy2
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
I'm just saying you can be an incredibly bad/lazy/uncommitted Blue, Purple or Brown Belt and EVENTUALLY you WILL get the next belt, IF you hang-in long enough. It inevitable.

I know a GREAT guy who had been training about 15 years. He's a Purple and that's a stretch if you judge him by technique. Nicest guy ever. He likes to train when he wants, never really "learns" anything that I can tell. Never improves no matter what advice he is given. He is stuck at approximately new Blue-belt level, but he doesn't care. He has ZERO (and I mean ZERO) ego. He is an unusual guy and an unusual case. If you told him, "You will never be promoted again", he wouldn't care in the slightest.

Rank wise, I really don't know what you "should" do with people like that, but generally what DOES happen is they slowly they work their way up the ranks.

Ahh, ok makes sense.
10/26/12 2:46 PM
TBoy2
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blackguilt - I've done Karate, Judo, and others.

None of them have ever had me wake up randomly thinking "I want to train" like BJJ has. There is a certian intangable to BJJ that makes me feel like it will always be around.

Me too. I've done a few different martial arts. Mostly Judo and although I still love Judo and still teach it, BJJ is the most fun. In Judo you have to do allot of drilling to stay good, especially for competition and after awhile I got burned out.

In Karate, TKD, Kung Fu, etc... those to me are 2D type arts. You just focus on stand up techniques. Your opponent is just in front of you.

BJJ, Judo, Wrestling are more like a 3D art. But especially BJJ. When rolling/sparing you have all kinds of positions where your opponent can be. Your opponent can be under you, on top, to the side, behind, etc... It takes a long time to get good at all those positions, and you have both attacking and defending for each position.

For me in BJJ I never have a shortage of things to work on. Whether it be improving my basics or new techniques. And the fun part getting them to work when rolling.
10/26/12 8:18 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I agree with most about the harms of Americanization of BJJ, let's bear in mind too that if BJJ didn't hit the US, it wouldn't have been where it is today.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.