UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Techniques for securing overhook from closed guard

10/19/12 10:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
misterw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No gi.....
I like to work attacks from an overhook from closed guard, but sometimes I have trouble getting it. Especially with people who like to maintain a low posture with their elbows in close to their body. What are some setups for securing an overhook so I can go to work?
10/20/12 1:53 PM
CompanyBlue
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One trick to open up space to snake your arm through and over is to simple shoot your hips in the air up and down from closed guard. It can give you the space you need for someone on you tight without risking anything.
10/20/12 4:07 PM
misterw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem is if someone just wants to tuck their elbows in and doesn't want an underhook, it is very difficult to maintain the overhook, even if I have space to get it.
10/20/12 6:28 PM
Soul Gravy

As far as maintaining it: once you've gotten the overhook, if you open your guard and post your foot on their hip on the same side as the overhook, you can use your knee to help maintain it.
10/20/12 7:17 PM
Calhoon

What are they doing with their hands? Placing them on your biceps and following your arms? Arm pits? Resting them on your abdomen?
10/22/12 1:52 PM
misterw

Calhoon - What are they doing with their hands? Placing them on your biceps and following your arms? Arm pits? Resting them on your abdomen?

Generally on abdomen, but always quick to tuck elbows in whenever I try to pummel for overhook.

I guess I don't expect to get an overhook directly from this position when they are so on guard; I'm looking for ideas of other moves to try that I can then chain together w/ securing the overhook.
10/22/12 2:00 PM
cortXbomb

I love the overhook from guard too but if I can't get it, I'll try something else and then maybe in the course of that I'll find an opening for the overhook.

Maybe go for an arm drag? Threaten an arm bar? Get them moving and see what opens up.
10/22/12 2:20 PM
misterw

cortXbomb - I love the overhook from guard too but if I can't get it, I'll try something else and then maybe in the course of that I'll find an opening for the overhook.

Maybe go for an arm drag? Threaten an arm bar? Get them moving and see what opens up.

yeah, i've been playing around with using the drag to get the overhook a bit.

have you found anything that works especially well?
10/22/12 2:55 PM
mrgoodarmbar
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There have been some nice bits of advice on this thread so far. I would add...
When trying to shoot your hand under to begin the wrap. You should lift that hip higher, which will make that area flatter, and shoot as you are dropping your hip down and away.

You can also try hip bump and flower sweeps to make him base out with his hand.

Putting the foot on the hip will help maintain, but also need to get inside position with your other arm or knee so that you can create some space between you and him. In order to escape he generally needs to be close to you so that he can swivel his forearm so that his hand is pointing downward, then he can snake his elbow out as he pulls away. If there is some space, it will be difficult for him to swivel as his forearm can't go under your back, if he does manage to, he's probably taking a pretty big chance... oma plata, arm bar, etc.
10/22/12 8:37 PM
Shemhazai
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reverse Kimura grip (think 2 on 1 with a figure 4), take your pick between arm drag and forcing the hand outside to the mat.
10/22/12 9:41 PM
Biggy
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mission control then zombie. I'm not a rubber guard user but this is high percentage Phone Post
10/23/12 3:41 AM
Brian McLaughlin
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best trick I ever learned for this

Go to butterfly guard, wait for top man to pummel to an underhook, wizzer hard and kick them back into the closed guard.

Learned it at an Eddie Bravo seminar

10/23/12 6:06 PM
cortXbomb

Yeah butterfly guard is a good one for this. I like to go for the double unders and sweep from butterfly guard so if you do that they'll probably pummel for their own underhook. Great point.
10/23/12 7:09 PM
mrgoodarmbar
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you got to be will to go into a little overhook butterfly though. I don't think that's for everyone.
10/23/12 8:18 PM
zunk1
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eddie has a lot of tricks to get that hand to the mat so you can over hook it. my favorite is fake a hip bump one direction. the guy on top will lean back and almost always put his opposing hand on the mat to keep from being taken over. you quickly lay back and take an over hook on that arm.

10/23/12 9:51 PM
nowaydo
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian McLaughlin - 

Go to butterfly guard, wait for top man to pummel to an underhook, wizzer hard and kick them back into the closed guard.

yes
10/24/12 1:29 AM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smoke and mirrors are really the best options against a super defensive opponent. Trying to insist for the overhook in a scenario like you're describing generally isn't efficient in my opinion Phone Post
10/24/12 1:39 AM
TheBulgarianAssassin
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about going for a kimura on one arm and if they connect their hands behind your back to defend then overhook the other arm.
10/24/12 2:03 PM
The Gimp
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If a person is in a low posture with their elbows in close to their body, you can make some schpace to get an UNDERHOOK pretty easily if you put your hand on their arm and sort of hold it in place while you shift your hips back and forth. That will open up enough space to get your hand in and then you can get the underhook.

From the underhook he may pummel back in and you can take an overhook or, depending on your attacks off of the underhook, he'll give up the overhook.
10/25/12 10:01 PM
misterw

Brian McLaughlin - 

i tried this tonight and it worked like a charm. i love eddie bravo, and i am never even going to use rubber guard due to my lack of flexibility; i am just continually more and more impressed with the other aspects of his game and the way he teaches them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.