UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gross: Five thoughts on Jones-Sonnen

10/19/12 10:40 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

I don't like the fight

Hey, judging by fans on Twitter, I'm not the only one. True enough, some people view the matchup as great. I understand why. Sonnen is a showman. The TUF entertainment factor will be turned up to 10. For Jones, rehabbing during the taping of the reality show and desiring to close the chapter by putting Sonnen in his place is compelling stuff.

Plenty to look forward to, fine.

Here's why none of it matters: There are better tests out there for Jones, all of whom are unquestionably more deserving than Sonnen at 205 pounds.

Risk of a blowout

More likely, Sonnen won't get any offense off. His takedowns will be denied, probably a hair more graceful than Michael Bisping did. He crumbles on the end of Jones' reach.

And, that's that. The TV show. The talk. The hype. And that's that.

This event will propel the TRT discussion

Things of intrigue

Head games.

Sonnen is thought to be masterful at this, and it looks as though Jones will play on the same battlefield. Their conference call earlier in the week offered plenty of examples.

"The Ultimate Fighter" is worth discussing only when it churns out contender-level prospects. Otherwise, in my eyes at least, it's not much different than Golf Channel's "The Big Break."

One thing can save the show, make it meaningful and prompt viewers to tune in: fighters who seem to have the potential to become contenders someday.

Absent that, the show is just a show. And with all this MMA on the air, it's not as if people are clamoring to watch low- to mid-tier fighting on a regular basis, even if it's encased in the Octagon.

read entire article...

10/19/12 10:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Deaf Forever
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yup, the fight just sucks
10/19/12 10:56 PM
HallmansHammock

Was there even fans calling for the fight like Dana said? I don't recall it. They just want Chael in there for a title fight ASAP before he lost to another contender. Phone Post
10/19/12 10:58 PM
jtown2
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im rooting for Chael. I hope he puts bones on his back and chokes him out. Chael put all he had to beat the best fighter in the world and he almost did.

This is his last chance at history. This Is his last chance to be a UFC champion and I hope he takes that gold home.

If they fight again, sure Bones would win but this is his the glory he works so hard for and it'll be his and no one can take it from him. Phone Post
10/19/12 11:00 PM
niles510

Gross is hating. Da fite shude bee kewl Phone Post
10/19/12 11:02 PM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 10/19/12 11:02 PM

I expected 5 gross thoughts on Jones/Sonnen.

Disappointed.

10/19/12 11:02 PM
ShakeR_

Your last point is the best one. Chael is a band-aid on a gaping wound. Better add talented fighters if you want to stop the long term bleeding. Phone Post
10/19/12 11:03 PM
Haulport

It is the worst move possible for Zuffa. They are desperate for ratings. So what do they do?

Put together a fight NO MMA FAN WANTS TO SEE.

Just because they believe Chael's shit talking will be compelling tv.

These kind of tactics and sorry business decisions are exactly what is killing the UFC's ratings and PPV buys, but they just don't get it. SO they keep putting together a shit show with mid to low tier fighters with very little future coached by guys who no one wants to see fight each other and add a good smattering of phony WWE style "I hate him. I'm gonna break his face." kayfabe crap.....

10/19/12 11:24 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my opinion there are two possibilities for the fight.

1. It makes Mayhem-Bisping seem like Hendo-Shogun by comparison.

If Dana thought Mayhem shit the bed and was embarrassing after having been given such a plum gig?

Wait until he watches Sonnen make Mayhem look like Anderson Silva.

2. Jon Jones showboats as he toys with Sonnen and makes Silva-Maia seem like it was nothing to have even gotten upset about.

I don't see Jones as a Lesnar in that he wants to bash in Sonnen's skull as Lesnar wished and did to Mir.

I think Jon Jones looks like Dave Chappelle doing his And 1 sketch and this becomes And 1: The MMA Mixtape as he busts out a Booker T spinaroonie, moonwalks and even teaches Chael how to Dougie while landing elbows. Phone Post
10/19/12 11:28 PM
dannyapodaca

By the time the show rolls around fans will be tiring of Chael and Dana. They might get a little boost in ratings but that will tail off at the end. Phone Post
10/19/12 11:32 PM
niles510

Haulport -

It is the worst move possible for Zuffa. They are desperate for ratings. So what do they do?

Put together a fight NO MMA FAN WANTS TO SEE.

Just because they believe Chael's shit talking will be compelling tv.

These kind of tactics and sorry business decisions are exactly what is killing the UFC's ratings and PPV buys, but they just don't get it. SO they keep putting together a shit show with mid to low tier fighters with very little future coached by guys who no one wants to see fight each other and add a good smattering of phony WWE style "I hate him. I'm gonna break his face." kayfabe crap.....

Speak for yourself. I'm excited for this fight and I'm sure other mma fans are too. Phone Post
10/19/12 11:37 PM
deadlysyn

I think a lot of people are under estimating Sonnen. He did for 1 fight dominate the best P4P in the world before getting caught (thats why Anderson is best P4P in the world). And lets not forget when he steam rolled Nate Marquardt and Brian Stan, very dominating fights there. And Bisping is a lot better then most people give him credit for but his problem is his weak mentally, he's usually only as good as his opponent because thats all he allows himself to be. 

The 205 division is pretty uneven so Jones looks more amazing then I believe he actually is. 205 is exciting, but I strongly believe as a whole the fighters aren't as great as some of the lighter weight classes, its just exciting because the bigger they are the harder they fall, people always liked that. Its the reason why the Heavy Weight Boxing division dominated for decades.  

Does Sonnen deserve a shot? Hell no but neither did Vitor. And yes there are a bunch of people that sould get Jones first but given the situation and what if offers as a whole, but its not as bad a thing as people make it out to be if you look at the big picture. 

And for arguement sake lets say Sonnen some how wins the fight, what then? Or what if he's actually competitive? Also most people don't know but Sonnen is physically bigger then Rashad (at least thats my feeling when meeting them in person, Sonnen is a big dude) and Jone's couldn't finish Rashad. 

And why do you so called "fan" watch these fights for anyway??? To be entertained and at the end of the day there is no other reason. You watch it for that reason and that alone. So whats wrong with an entertaining season of TUF and possibly an entertaining fight after? 

Only the "real fans" will benefit from a good season of TUF. The show has always been a gate way to "New" fans. Growing the fan base grows the sport, growing the sport allows for better things for the fans. So it baffles me when I hear the so called 'fans" complain. 

And people who complain about TUF, saying its dead, tired and all that aren't real MMA fans. Real fans love anything about whatever they are a fan of, the more they get the happier they are. TUF is a show where you get to know the new and upcoming fighters, and get a group of them together to see who's best? A lot of good people have come out of the show even recently. We have fighters like John Dodson, Denis Bermudas, Michael Johnson, Tony Fergurson, TJ Dillashaw all who have been doing very well in their division in the UFC. The show gives viewers the chance to get to know these guys, so that you actually care when they start to fight in the UFC. Think about some of the other guys who fight their "first" 3-5 fights in the UFC, most of you know even know who the hell they are and a lot of people don't even care about those guys. The show has always offered more for those newcomers. 

I get it some people aren't happy. Buts its done and bitching about it doesn't change a dam thing. The best you can do is see how it plays out, who knows you might be entertained is the process and in the end that's what you are in it for to begin with. 

10/19/12 11:39 PM
jose marti

Who cares what he thinks....I doubt Gross has ever trained much less fought. Phone Post
10/19/12 11:42 PM
greg155

jose marti -  Who cares what he thinks....I doubt Gross has ever trained much less fought. Phone Post

Oh okay, Nick Diaz and Rampage should be sports writers because they trained and fought.
10/19/12 11:49 PM
jtown2
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

greg155 -
jose marti -  Who cares what he thinks....I doubt Gross has ever trained much less fought. Phone Post

Oh okay, Nick Diaz and Rampage should be sports writers because they trained and fought.
Gotta admit. That would be a fun read. Phone Post
10/20/12 12:16 AM
Leghound
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jtown2 -  Im rooting for Chael. I hope he puts bones on his back and chokes him out. Chael put all he had to beat the best fighter in the world and he almost did.

This is his last chance at history. This Is his last chance to be a UFC champion and I hope he takes that gold home.

If they fight again, sure Bones would win but this is his the glory he works so hard for and it'll be his and no one can take it from him. Phone Post

Rhymes with "clever sin a zillion beers"
10/20/12 12:58 AM
jtown2

Leghound -
jtown2 -  Im rooting for Chael. I hope he puts bones on his back and chokes him out. Chael put all he had to beat the best fighter in the world and he almost did.

But what if? Phone Post
10/20/12 12:59 AM
nobigdeal

I think gross is spot on here. This fight will be fast and not competitive at all and the fact that its even happening is borderline disgusting in respect to other top fighters at 205. There needs to be a true ranking system where the number one contenders are guranteed championship fights. I understand injuries change things but a MW who barely beat Bisping and lost twice to the MW champion moving up to 205 and getting a title shot is beyond fucking stupid. I don't know why anyone would want to see this. Hendo and machida or even shogun actually deserve the fight. And honestly I would love to see glover get a shot but I guess he hasn't talked his way into yet. Phone Post
10/20/12 1:36 AM
OctoRhino1

This fight is a joke and we the fans are the Dana's punch line. Dana is basically insulting our intelligence (Well to be honest he is insulting Chael fans intelligence :D, there the only fools who think Chael has a shot). This fight will be a total domination by Jones. Gross is 100% correct on Chael not being able to take Jones down. However you can expect Jones to take Chael down.
10/20/12 1:55 AM
redskin5478

Josh is missing out on the bigger picture here. The one fight a lot of people DO want to see is Bones Jones vs Anderson Silva. This Jones-Sonnen fight is a precursor to it. There may be a lot more as to why Silva and Jones say that they will not fight each other. I believe that for whatever reason that is, Jones vs Sonnen will get more people to start talking about a Jones-Silva match and eventually change the fighters' minds.
10/20/12 2:11 AM
punchyone
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jtown2 -
Leghound -

But what if? Phone Post
I'd of rather seen Chael and Rampage.. Hell Chael could be one of the coaches on every season of TUF, back to back to back.. But he belongs nowhere near a LHW title shot. Phone Post
10/20/12 10:30 AM
SQUEEZIE

chael on tuf is gd shit. chael fighting for title tho is silly. chael fighting jbj is suicide, he is geting crucified.
10/20/12 12:28 PM
muppetsbungalowedbeyatch
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HallmansHammock - Was there even fans calling for the fight like Dana said? I don't recall it. They just want Chael in there for a title fight ASAP before he lost to another contender. Phone Post
Only when it was the last minute replacement fight to save the event

Makes way less sense outside of that scenario Phone Post
10/20/12 12:53 PM
MMALOGIC

Jones isnt a superstar like GSP yet... Chael is gonna help get him over.  everyone who's bitching about it now will be salivating for it after watching chael do his thing for 11 weeks on FX.

Come fight time these same people whining about it will be going ape shit over it.

10/20/12 1:00 PM
Chris27

MMALOGIC - 

Jones isnt a superstar like GSP yet... Chael is gonna help get him over.  everyone who's bitching about it now will be salivating for it after watching chael do his thing for 11 weeks on FX.

Come fight time these same people whining about it will be going ape shit over it.

Yup. This move makes all the sense in the world on so many levels.

Sure Sonnen doesnt deserve the fight, thats a fact but its a smart move by the UFC.

You get your new young star primetime promotion weekly on FX, he needs someone that is gonna make the show interesting. We saw that with Brock/JDS, show would have been interesting if it was Brock/Mir. So Jones/Hendo would be boring as shit, Jones/Sonnen will be entertaining.

So you boost TUF's ratings, you get to put over your young phenom champ, you get 3 months promotion for the fight to sell the PPV.

Jones/Sonnen will do more buys than Jones/Hendo, SHogun rematch, Machida, rematch, Glover, AG etc.

Jones/Sonnen could possibly pass the 700k Jones/Rashad PPV when all is said and done. Sure Jones is gonna smash Sonnen but this just puts Jones over more and makes him a bigger star.

Other than a fight with Anderson or against a top HW or the HW champ this is the biggest fight for Jones in the UFC in terms of fan interest and PPV buys.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.